Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1970-79 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Dallas , Texas
My First Airstream - '72 Tradewind

Just saw my new-to-me Airstream for the first time on Christmas Day! I bought it off of eBay a few weeks ago using my iPhone while at dinner one Saturday night.

The seller was in Michigan, I live in Texas, and the Airstream is going to be staying in Oklahoma on my wife's family's property. We had it transported there and went to see it during Christmas. We'll use it as a "cabin" of sorts and hopefully take a few trips in it once we get it fixed up.

And, the fixing up part is the reason for my post. She's going to need a lot of work. She's good from a far, but far from good. We plan to fully renovate it so this could be quite a project.

For starters, we have to:

1- replace the main power cord
2- find and fix a leak that appears to be originating from one of the Sky View windows
3- replace an area of the subfloor that has rotted out from said leak

Any advice anyone has on any of these initial projects would be more than welcome. I'll also try to post a few pictures.

Thanks!
ZacharyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Dallas , Texas
A few pics

Please see below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0115.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	424.5 KB
ID:	72990   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0121.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	840.1 KB
ID:	72991  

Name:	IMG_0122.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	531.1 KB
ID:	72992   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0123.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	619.7 KB
ID:	72993  

Old 12-28-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Welcome to the forums. Go to the resoration forums and look for the long threads that have 'full monty' in the title. These are goodreading and will likely discuss any of the topics you mentioned above.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Nice looking Tradewind. Excellent choice, but I'm a little biased.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
looks to be a very well cared for unit, body looks really straight. Congrats on the new purchase!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
It looks like you got a nice trailer. You will have fun with it. I got my most critical things finished with in about 6 to 7 months. I still have some stuff to do but it all cost money. I am not a mechanic or an expert. I am good at research and most everything I found was on these forums. I did find some good information on other webites.

When I would do an internet inquiry I would type in airstream and the exact problem. An example would be airstream restoration converter. It would lead me to airstream forums and other sites. If you need any information I have saved many links on my favorites that may help you.

Here is my restoration project. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ion-38204.html

Lothlorian
Old 12-28-2008, 02:57 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Congratulations on the purchase.
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Lombard , Illinois
Looks like a good find. Welcome aboard!

I have a picture of my Airstream in my wallet, and I'm sitting on it...

...If that's not love, I don't know what is!
Gael79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacharyTX View Post
Just saw my new-to-me Airstream for the first time on Christmas Day! I bought it off of eBay a few weeks ago using my iPhone while at dinner one Saturday night.

The seller was in Michigan, I live in Texas, and the Airstream is going to be staying in Oklahoma on my wife's family's property. We had it transported there and went to see it during Christmas. We'll use it as a "cabin" of sorts and hopefully take a few trips in it once we get it fixed up.

And, the fixing up part is the reason for my post. She's going to need a lot of work. She's good from a far, but far from good. We plan to fully renovate it so this could be quite a project.

For starters, we have to:

1- replace the main power cord
2- find and fix a leak that appears to be originating from one of the Sky View windows
3- replace an area of the subfloor that has rotted out from said leak

Any advice anyone has on any of these initial projects would be more than welcome. I'll also try to post a few pictures.

Thanks!
Start by making a list of everything you know the trailer may need, along with what it might need.

That will allow you to make a budget for time and money.

Since the trailer is new to you, the very first thing you should do, is make it water proof from rain, etc.

Check the entrance door gaskets, the window gaskets, the access compartment gaskets and especially the sewer vent pipe gaskets, that only last about 5 years or so.

You can seal the stack and vista view windows with "Vulkem" sealer. Clean the glass to metal section very well. Then apply a nice bead of vulkem sealer to that area. You can also apply a bead of Vulkem at the top of each window, both fixed and opening.

Be sure to check the tail lights and clearance lights for leaks as well. If those are showing their age, you can replace them with LED's.

Also finally check out the axles. From 1974 and back, the rubber rods give out in possibly two ways. First, the rubber simply gives out. That allows the trailer to settle, so that when you hit bumps, the trailer bottoms out.

The second rubber rod test is to jack up one side of the trailer. The tires should drop about 3 inches. If not, then the rubber has solidified,which will allow most road shock to hit the trailer, which in time, will cause numerous damages.

And finally, check at the bumper area, the frame to shell security, for rear end separation.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:10 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Rogers , Arkansas
Welcome to the forums. I'm biased, but like your choice. I agree with Andy. Making it watertight is the first thing to do. User manuals and service manuals are available on Ebay. I had a leak to repair and resulting floor damage to do. I've replaced the vent stack gaskets and am slowly replacing the window gaskets. If I can help, PM me. I've had mine 6 years and had many projects. We've found it to be a great size for us.
AIR#809
pepper48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:07 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Dallas , Texas
Thanks

Thanks everyone. All sounds like good advice.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:32 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Spread it out!

Like camaront120 I am also a bit biased.

New power supply, that was about $150.

I ended up with a new furnace....do not use the original it is dangerous, I think it was an NT24? not sure about the model any more...I have some old posts about it. cost about $150

New water heater (surprise...30+ year old water heaters tend to leak. that is close to $200+

All new lights...just upgrading plus a conversion to two group 24 batteries from the single group 27.....this was followed by two fantastic fans. this ran about $500

New awning, ordered from Andy, along with two new axles
about $4000 including shipping
new running lights...about $100

new propane valves, $35..ea.

I used a car stereo/am/fm/cd, though I did use boxed mini speakers to keep sort of with an early 70's motif.

new tires (soon to be replaced) est---$600

new covers for the gauchos, $300

new pex plumbing (1 minor part of that project is left) This one ran at least $200+
= (pump, pex , fittings valves etc)

new waste tank, about $200

new toilet, about $125+.

The mice extracted revenge for last years anti mouse campaign and got my front curtain...estimate $250-350 for a full set of replacements.

New power amp antenna(parts from a wreck one kept the cost to about $50+

As was advised get a list up. Take the projects on one at a time. It spreads out the expense and keeps some sanity in the project.

I do not remember what the equalizer cost me, I am guessing about $600.

Before it is all over the refurbishing or restoring..which ever way you go will cost a bit. I spread my projects over a couple of years before I too the trailer on the road. Oh ,...I forgot trailer cost....$1500. That sets up the cost of a few grand. Consider the cost of buying one and having all of that done....this is a deal for what I have in the end.

It has been fun, even though I am now down to a few small projects, such as closet hinges and installing a motion detector,then I will look for something....maybe a cork floor!

A lot of stuff I though was good was on it's last leg. Much of the stuff I replaced would have lasted longer but was replaced anyway as part of the refurbishing. Lights interior and exterior, did not need replacement, but by refurbishing I put lights in that furnish more light for less power. In the case of the outside running and brake lights I have better visibility on the road with LED's.

Keep it up, ( I wished I had kept a photo log)
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:44 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Just a note on the furnace, if the recall repairs were made by a previous owner, as they were on mine, your furnace could still be perfectly good. Mine works very well with no problems at all. I've installed the necessary precautions - propane and carbon monoxide detectors - to alert me if there should be a problem.

Smokin Camel has provided some great information on costs. Really informative. If you do need to replace your furnace and water heater, give Palomino RV a call. They have some of the lowest prices I've seen.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Love my 72 Tradewind but it's a journey still

Thought that the restoration had been done on mine but the toilet had to be replaced $189.00 The front Gaucho with its "hurculon tweed fabric had to go
$600 and after countless tries to resurrect the Fridge and burping it's headed to the dumpster and a new Dometic $600 is ordered. Then while she's torn apart maybe I ought to redo that old yellow Formica
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:37 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
Thought that the restoration had been done on mine but the toilet had to be replaced $189.00 The front Gaucho with its "hurculon tweed fabric had to go
$600 and after countless tries to resurrect the Fridge and burping it's headed to the dumpster and a new Dometic $600 is ordered. Then while she's torn apart maybe I ought to redo that old yellow Formica

Did you keep the door panels off the frig? The new one doesn't come with the panels. You could cut them down to fit the smaller frig. Post some more pictures of what you have done. You sound like many of us. You replace one thing and then a million other things look bad so they have to be fixed too, then it just snowballs from there. Have fun!

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Fridge replacement on 72 Tradewind

Got a black plexi panel for the new Fridge, didn't think a new Oak would match the 72 wood panels. Still have the old fridge and will probably toss it.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:45 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
It Keeps on going

Then replaced the bathroom sink (thanks Bullydogsmom!). New curtains (JPA Drapes), replaced wood paneling, tambor below sink, room divider curtain, mounted 22" Visio in Galley. Am currently replacing tambor over towell rack in kitchen. Soon as I check off a thing on the list another thing gets added.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:26 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Nice looking Tradewind. Excellent choice, but I'm a little biased.
I agree. Love the Tradewinds. Also biased!

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Photos of the Work

Best thing was to to replace the faded plastic laminate simulated "woodgrain" with Red Oak Veneer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0767.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	89746