Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1970-79 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Prescott Valley , Arizona
Question Heated holding tanks on 1976 Trade Wind?

I am in the process of buying a rebuilt, 1976 Trade Wind and need to know if the holding tanks are heated. I know that it has a fresh water tank, a gray water tank and a black water tank, in an enclosed area, but I do not know if a furnace duct is vented into the compartment. Does anyone know where to look and/or how to figure it out?
Patricia720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia720 View Post
I am in the process of buying a rebuilt, 1976 Trade Wind and need to know if the holding tanks are heated. I know that it has a fresh water tank, a gray water tank and a black water tank, in an enclosed area, but I do not know if a furnace duct is vented into the compartment. Does anyone know where to look and/or how to figure it out?
Unless it was deleted by the owner, that trailer has a duct system that circulates warm air to the tanks, whenever the furnace runs.

There is a service manual available for your model year that will answer hundreds of questions for you.

And, they are very reasonable.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
On all '70's Airstreams that I have seen, including several I have owned, there are heated tanks. That is there is a little 2" duct that goes to the tank area from the main furnace ducts. Often two, one for the water tank, one for the holding tanks.

Look for a 2" duct(s) that goes through the floor.

That said, the heating system is primitive at best. It will probably keep any problems from happening down to 15 to 20 F, but not much lower. That of course assumes all your heat is coming from the furnace, not some electric space heaters. The furnace must run a fair amount to push any real amount of heat through those little ducts into a big uninsulated (or poorly insulated) space where the tanks are.

The holding tank outlet pipes and valves are almost never heated or insulated and enclosed in Airstreams, so the "heated tank" may not freeze, but the outlet valves commonly freeze. Not pretty if they freeze solid and break something.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Prescott Valley , Arizona
Thanks guys!

Wow. I've never had such quick and educated responses to a question. Once, I finally get my hands on my trailer (I'm in Arizona and my "new" Trade Wind is in Texas!) I'm sure I'll have more. This will be my first stop!
Patricia720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
When we replaced the furnace in our 1974 Ambassador last year, we found that the duct opening to blow air onto the tanks was smashed closed and stuffed full of insulation. So part of the furnace replacement project was to clean the ductwork as best we could and make sure the openings were indeed open and clear.

Fortunately, we hadn't done any below freezing camping until this past fall after we replaced the furnace so we didn't have any problems.

Nancy Mac
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
VA Beach , Virginia
That heat duct hose got damaged when repairing my Greywater tank.
rather than try replacing it I just left it out as trailer is not used for "Cold weather" camping and just drain tanks and add RV Antifreeze to shower and sink Drains.
jimrich60 is offline   Reply With Quote