Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1970-79 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Los angeles , California
Apprasial for Vintage

Hello,

We have a 72 Airstream Tradewind and we fully customized it. We are selling it for $70k and currently ahve a buyer. They need to finance it thru their bank and they need a appraisal. I know how difficult when it comes customized vintage Airtreams. We talked to a professional appraiser from Ojai (we found him on this forum) but he can't guarantee if the final decision will be $70k. So how does this works, do you have any recommendation for us or for the buyer? I appreciate.
Spookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
No legitimate appraser will give you a price before the appraisal.

You can try Area 63 productions and now the cost and value of Airstream. They are east of Los Angeles but may be able to help.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I don't know appraisal business. I have had two Airstreams appraised for "agreed value" insurance policies. Here is what I remember about it.

The appraiser asked about the condition of the trailers. I keep my receipts and photos. I can substantiate the cost of new axles, bearings, brakes, shocks, tires, refrigerator, air conditioner, furnace, water pump, water heater, subfloor repair, etc, etc. I think most buyers of Airstreams appreciate the new stuff they won't have to buy later.

I presented comparables to my appraiser that I found on the classifieds here on Air Forums. I distinctly remember a 75 Trade Wind that Jackson Center customized and offered for sale. We walked through it during our plant tour back in 2012. The asking price was $65k. But I can find $3k Trade Winds also. My bill of sale was all the insurance company needed to insure my Overlander. That was the market value and agreed value.

A professionally done customization of an Airstream is big dollars. Timeless Travel Trailers here in the Denver area does magnificent work. A Timeless trailer will be big dollars. Maybe it is similar to yours. Apply a labor rate and shop overhead rate to 1000 man hours of labor. Consider the cost of a professional polish job on a 25' trailer. $3k wouldn't surprise It adds up very quickly.

The buyer's bank may very well choose an appraiser. The buyer's bank may decide not to finance your customized trailer for anymore than half the sell price. Gee, one hail storm can toast an Airstream.

Good luck with the selling process. I hope it all works out. You're trailer is very special and it will get sold sooner or later.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:05 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Los angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
No legitimate appraser will give you a price before the appraisal.

You can try Area 63 productions and now the cost and value of Airstream. They are east of Los Angeles but may be able to help.
Thank you!
Old 03-15-2018, 07:07 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Los angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
I don't know appraisal business. I have had two Airstreams appraised for "agreed value" insurance policies. Here is what I remember about it.

The appraiser asked about the condition of the trailers. I keep my receipts and photos. I can substantiate the cost of new axles, bearings, brakes, shocks, tires, refrigerator, air conditioner, furnace, water pump, water heater, subfloor repair, etc, etc. I think most buyers of Airstreams appreciate the new stuff they won't have to buy later.

I presented comparables to my appraiser that I found on the classifieds here on Air Forums. I distinctly remember a 75 Trade Wind that Jackson Center customized and offered for sale. We walked through it during our plant tour back in 2012. The asking price was $65k. But I can find $3k Trade Winds also. My bill of sale was all the insurance company needed to insure my Overlander. That was the market value and agreed value.

A professionally done customization of an Airstream is big dollars. Timeless Travel Trailers here in the Denver area does magnificent work. A Timeless trailer will be big dollars. Maybe it is similar to yours. Apply a labor rate and shop overhead rate to 1000 man hours of labor. Consider the cost of a professional polish job on a 25' trailer. $3k wouldn't surprise It adds up very quickly.

The buyer's bank may very well choose an appraiser. The buyer's bank may decide not to finance your customized trailer for anymore than half the sell price. Gee, one hail storm can toast an Airstream.

Good luck with the selling process. I hope it all works out. You're trailer is very special and it will get sold sooner or later.

David
I appreciate David. Yes we spent a lot of time and invested a lot of monwy into our AS. So I guess the solution is kinda "cash". We don't want to reject anyone just because of they need financing but can't find a proper way of solution.