Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1970-79 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2020, 03:53 PM   #1
airstream junkie

1971 27' Overlander
1971 31' Sovereign
1974 21' Globetrotter
Atlanta , GA
77 25' tradewind- What to use to refurbish/ seal shower pan and seat

Hi airstreamers

Has anyone used flex seal or bondo or fiberglass or anything to seal the cracks or holes in the corner of the shower seat? Just trying to make it last a longer before a total restoration. Would also like to keep it original you know. The pan looks good but if I could seal it and paint it, it sure would make it look better than the stained avocado yellow. Took it all out except fornthr shower pan to repair the rotten floor around the edges but majority of the floor is on good condition. Thanks in advance

Lawrell
lawrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I practically rebuilt my original ABS plastic shower pan and seat using marine grade (think West System) fiberglass. My advice is as follows:

1) Do not use the polyester based "auto repair" fiberglass you can buy at the big box stores. It won't even stick to the ABS plastic. There is some advanced epoxy based automotive stuff designed to stick to the plastics bumpers are made of (I think they are designated "SMS"), but this stuff is super expensive, and really toxic smelling. Go with Marine grade epoxy based fiberglass, and you should be good to go.

2) Apply the fiberglass to the OUTSIDE of the tub and seat. This way, you can be a messy as needed, but the surface everybody sees remains smooth.

3) To refurb the finish on the tub, I tried two different brands of "bathtub rejuvenator" type paints. Both left me less than impressed (one was made by Rustoleum, don't recall the other). I finally found that the glossy white epoxy based "Appliance" spray paint yielded the best results. Have yet to see how it holds up in the long term.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote