Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2014, 06:24 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Grand Prairie , Texas
'76 Tradewind 25' Renovation Vintage vs Custom

I have a 76 tradewind 25' that I am in the process of renovating and I am at the stage where I have to decide on the design to go with. I am trying to wiegh the pros and cons of whether to restore the original desgn or to go with a custom look. With the original look I am concerned about the availabilty of parts. With a custom look, I will need to find someone who can do the work properly and the expense of having everything custom built. Those of you who have already gone through the process, I could really use some advice. I do plan on living in the trailer, but the big reason for the move is i want to travel with it.

Thanks
txlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:47 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
If the interior is in good workable condition and you are on a budget, I would stick to original for the most part. There are lots of resources for new and used parts.

If you are hiring someone for a custom interior, it will be very, very expensive.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:38 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Grand Prairie , Texas
Thanks Kevin,

The previous owner already gutted the trailer before I purchased it, so I have to remodel to make it useable. Right now the only two things I know that work are the air conditioner and the refrigerator, I just had the wiring redone and I will have the water system checked next. Then I have to decide which way to go with the design. You said there are lots of resources for new and used parts. Can you recommend some sources that I can research?
Old 02-03-2014, 05:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
interior parts

The trailer is gutted, where are the parts they removed? If you have them, with the Airstream manual, you could rebuild it. OR use the walls/ etc for templates for a renovation. The classified on Airforums is great, E bay, Inland, and several others are out there. Good luck, and if you can post a pic of what you are starting with. John
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:52 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
airstreamguy.com - Home
Vintage Trailer Supply - parts and supplies for vintage travel trailers and campers!
Out-of-Doors Mart
Inland RV Center - The Nations Leading Expert in Airstream Innovations

You could also post ads yourself online. There's always someone out there who's gutting or parting out a trailer!

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Make it your own...

Quote:
Originally Posted by txlogic View Post
... I have to decide ... whether to restore the original desgn or to go with a custom look..... Those of you who have already gone through the process, I could really use some advice. I do plan on living in the trailer, but the big reason for the move is i want to travel with it.
My strong opinion, after spending several years of spare time working on the '78 Sovereign, is to do everything to the interior that suites your fancy and makes the trailer comfortable and "yours".

I have both lived in the trailer for short periods and have travelled with it.

If you feel like trying something different after the initial install, tear it out and install something new.

We have been through no less than four table installs, and are really happy with the current side hang table cut down from a 90's 34' trailer.

In the bedroom area, there have been five separate bed configurations installed. Each one good ideas, but for whatever reason we decided there may be a better arrangement. The current east/west shorty AS queen with rounded corners seems to be optimal.

The point is, YOU will be living in it - do it just the way you want it to be.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Grand Prairie , Texas
Okay, the trailer is in the shop to have the interior redone. After talking with the shop, I decided to go to Ikea for the cabinets, pantry and closet. Still need a source for the bench/ pullout bed in the middle and the Goucho in front. Any suggestions on this or will they need to be custom built?

Thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Ikea furniture will be heavier than the aluminum+1/4"laminate that made up the original interior. Keep an eye on the extra weight and where it's going. It may change the tongue weight.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
McMurray , Pennsylvania
weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
Ikea furniture will be heavier than the aluminum+1/4"laminate that made up the original interior. Keep an eye on the extra weight and where it's going. It may change the tongue weight.
Because weight is going to be an issue for me, and I was considering IKEA cabinets also, this is great info for me. i'm going to rethink my plan and see if I can't reconfigure the interior, instead of take it all out.
sharwest9782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:57 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Grand Prairie , Texas
I also had to reconsider going with Ikea. I am now looking for some one who can custom build the cabinets I want.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Dallas , Texas
Hey txlogic, I too have a '76 Tradewind, and live in Dallas.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f125...ind-64781.html
I've been storing it and ignoring it, but have recently gotten enthused to work on it and start using it. How's yours coming along?

David
ScoobyShack is offline   Reply With Quote