Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1970-79 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2016, 02:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Manhattan , Illinois
71 Tradewind

Just brought home 'RubyJane" and started digging and testing Hoping you guys can help with a few questions.

1. Original univolt, plugged it in and can here a Humming, doesn't have a battery installed, is that the reason nothing lights up?

2. I have the original connection for the black water tank dump. If I am hooked up at the site can I leave the dump valve open or should I be worried of sewer gas coming back through out the drains? I would like continues flow from the toilet and gray water and not worry about opening the dump.

3. Hooked it up to city water and didn't get any flow from the sinks, Does the Pump have to be charged or on for flow?

Tom
Firemntom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:44 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
Welcome.

1) Dump the Univolt. It causes a lot of problems. Go to Bestconverter.com and order a new one.

2) I don't know the answer to this one.

3) Hooked to city water you should have flow. If you have zero flow there is probably a blockage at the regulator or somewhere else.
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
2. Leave your black valve closed and dump periodically or you will have an awful caked on mess to deal with. You need some volume to flush out the solids. If you leave it open, liquid will drain but solids won't. You can leave the Gray valve open if you have one. Traps at all your fixtures should keep sewer gasses out of the coach.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:26 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Redding , California
71 Tradewind

1. Change out univolt soon as you can. Easy worthwhile upgrade. The univolt has a panel on it you should keep for the shunt and possibly the fuse block if you choose not to upgrade the fuse panel. The rest you can toss.
Leadvox is offline   Reply With Quote