Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2010, 03:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Doing Airstream dentistry this afternoon, picking out old sealer from around the window frames with a dental pick. Open wide and say "Ah," Tin Pickle. When the gaps are clean, I'll fill the wider ones with vulkem and the tiny seams with that other stuff Bart gave me - silver, viscous, less flexible.

Meanwhile, Bart (Mr. Tin Pickle, aka barts), has been working steadily fixing wiring, plumbing, window hardware, etc. Boy, is he handy at just about everything. He installed a new switch inside the door with one switch for the outside light and another that will control a small LED light at the bottom edge of our dinette-to-be to illuminate the floor when you first walk in. It will serve as a night light and a stumble preventer while people get to the switch on the overhead light.

I'm almost done with my first curtain. We'll know if my design and pleats are going to work or not this afternoon. If everything works out, I'll post my technique. It's a bit futzy, but I like how the results look so far.

We've got the floor as done as it's going to be for now - rug removed, the one rotten place patched, Epoxy over all and Aluthane (sp?) over all, giving it a nice, silvery sheen in bright light and a dull aluminum gray in less light. I love it. Easy to clean, light and durable.

We've just about finalized plans for a dinette to replace the front gaucho (which is already out and stored in the garage). We've adapted ours from several we've seen on this forum. If it works well, we'll post pictures.

I'll post pictures tonight or tomorrow. For right now - off to pick out more rotten stuff with the dental pick.
webspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:58 PM   #22
Aluminum Rookie

1974 25' Tradewind
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Congrats on your Tradewind!!

Congrats on your Tradewind!!We bought our 74 25'Tradewind last fall! Just joined the site today!! Ours was in very good shape when we got it..Paid a fair price for it ( my wife still thinks that we paid too much!!). We have just had little issues to fix. So far I have put in new countertops (faux marble), Fantastic fan, new stabilizer jacks. new fixtures, thermostats, Installed a microwave. Also istalled a ton of aluminum sheeting and rivets over the fake wood pannelling. about to do new flooring, build a front dinette and replace the rear gaucho with a leather futon that will fit nicely on top of the existing set up. Also installing a touch screen pioneer dvd player and speakers. We were lucky we have a new power converter, hot water heater and furnace. Need to polish and paint some exterior parts and purchased all new blue striping to fill the empty stripes. I have to take some photos this week. It pulls like a dream and I catch myself constantly looking dreamily at it in the driveway! It's been a lot of fun so far! I'm sure you will enjoy your purchase!! Let me know how things progress!!
chefmardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:06 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
chefmardigan - Where did you get new blue striping?

We didn't even realize that there had been blue striping until my husband found a piece of original trim being used to shim something on the old water heater he replaced yesterday.

We only got this rig in January and have been working on essentials like the dead water heater, dead fridge, dead brake lights, moldy rug, rotted bit of floor and batteries open to the living space. The battery box is now complete and sealed. It vents directly to the outside. If the electrical system glitches and the batteries boil, the hydrogen sulfide gas will vent to the outside instead of under our son's head.

We are very much looking forward to making changes in the living space. Do you have pictures of your dinette? That's one of our next projects.
webspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:16 PM   #24
Aluminum Rookie

1974 25' Tradewind
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Hi Webspinner,
I got the striping from Inland RV in California. Expensive and a long way from Saskatoon canada! But will be worth it.Check out their web site and give their parts department a call.They are super helpful. The dinette I am kind of winging it. There are some forums on here where people have posted photos of their step( Pizzachop). I do have a rough plan and will keep you posted on info and progress. I am painting the interior In a very cool aluminum paint...Yeah Sorry purists! And repairing a section of floor first but i will be starting this weekend.Remember find a few great places to get parts and service. Remember you get what you pay for! Photos will follow.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:45 PM   #25
Aluminum Rookie

1974 25' Tradewind
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Here are some photos of our tradewind when we just picked it up last fall I will post some construction photos soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	432.4 KB
ID:	98667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 005.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	627.1 KB
ID:	98668  

Name:	Picture 018.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	98669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 013.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	319.6 KB
ID:	98670  

Old 03-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #26
Aluminum Rookie

1974 25' Tradewind
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Wait there are more photos!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 008.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	448.7 KB
ID:	98671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 010.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	468.0 KB
ID:	98672  

Name:	Picture 023.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	578.8 KB
ID:	98673  
Old 04-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I'm reviving this thread as a log of what we've done on the trailer in the past year. I'll try to include pictures wherever possible.

The trailer was basically functional, except for the fridge and water heater. We could have camped in it "as is" once the axles and wiring issues were cleared up.

But the 70s interior was much the worse for wear and the place had a persistent musty odor that made long stays inside it unpleasant. Each step we do seems to open up new possibilities for future projects. We've had a lot of fun so far.

Alterations include:

Already done:
Remove both gauchos - they had been poorly redone and weren't in great shape.
Sew new curtains for front room.
Remove of carpet and internal cleaning - went a long way to improving the smell.
Install new axles, disc brakes, and actuator.
Repair rear end separation
Rewire exterior lights and replace with LEDs.
Clean up front tongue and remove extraneous additions.
Weld repair of folding steps.
Removal of old, broken toilet and black tank.
Installation of composting toilet.
Removal of bathroom closet with plans to replace it in spring of '11 with a separate shower. No more wet bath.
Repair soft floor areas and paint floor with epoxy and Aluthane.
Build dinette in front with lots of storage and double bed capability.
Replace dead fridge with rebuilt (larger) unit. Removal of cabinet next to fridge.
Remove broken TV antenna.
Replace water heater.
Rebuild cabinet next to fridge - introduce birch wood color and start on slippery slope of birch interior.
Repair non functional window hinges and seal windows and other leaks.
Replace Univolt, install new fuse panel, add inverter and battery monitor.
Construct new exterior door for battery compartment.
Build (and then remove) temporary bunk beds for back room.
Remove and replace bathroom walls with epoxied birch plywood.
Replace upper cabinet tambour with sliding birch doors.
Build birch replacement for plastic kitchen window frame.
Panel back room wall with birch.
Replace curved front streetside window that broke on our way home from buying her.

Currently in progress:
Install LED interior lights - strips above upper cabinets, downlights over work areas.
Build dinette for back room that will convert to single bed.
Install blinds over kitchen window (on order).

Coming soon (this spring/summer):
Design and install overhead LED lighting to replace incandescent 4 bulb fixtures.
Build shower pan and install shower head with usage gauge.
Paint bathroom walls (except for epoxied birch ones).
Build removable bunk to go over back dinette bed.
Add solar panels to roof.
Build and install solid door to bathroom.

Later projects:
Install new bathroom sink and counter/cabinet using metal and birch.
Replace accordion kitchen door with new one to match curtains/upholstery.
Make curtains for back room.
Gradually (or not) replace beat up fake wood particle board interior with real birch.
Install propane heater, probably marine wall mounted one on side of sink cabinet.
Add better exterior lighting, especially around the fold down steps. Maybe we'll do something fun here.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Aaack. Looking at this list, I have to say I'm really glad that Bart and I enjoy working on this thing together. It's fun camping in it, too.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Burnsville , North Carolina
That is an impressive list. ENJOY.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:35 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Atl Bch , Florida
Curious to see if you still have your Tin Pickle Airstream 😂😂

I just bought mine, and it's the same model / year 😀😀
SilverSunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:14 AM   #31

Currently Looking...
n/a , California
Hey Silver!
I'm currently looking at a 71 Tradewind and I am wondering about the price. Can you tell me what you paid? and what condition it was in? thanks in advance!
happydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:39 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Atl Bch , Florida
Mine was 6500, and in good condition. It will need some repair to the bathroom, a new water heater, eventually the cabinets to be pulled and replaced, and minor cosmetic repairs, but it's in operating condition.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:42 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Hi Happy,
We also have a 71. It was sitting in a field for 20 years and was a mouse condo, but was otherwise intact and original. Paid $500 for her about 10 years ago, but put about 10 grand into restoration. Nowadays, for a similar candidate for restoration, fair market value would be 3-5 thousand.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #34

Currently Looking...
n/a , California
The original mouse pad!!! Thanks for the info. I ended up passing on the 71 Tradewind they were just asking to much for the shape it was in plus it's going to be my "tiny home" so I'd like something more than the wet bath combo. Can't wait to find her!
Old 04-19-2017, 06:01 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Atl Bch , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by happydaz View Post
The original mouse pad!!! [emoji38] Thanks for the info. I ended up passing on the 71 Tradewind they were just asking to much for the shape it was in plus it's going to be my "tiny home" so I'd like something more than the wet bath combo. Can't wait to find her!
I have solved the half bath problem! I found a gentleman to give me an estimate on installing the tankless water heater, remove all existing gas lines, and repair an area of damaged wood in the water closet near the half bath. Thankfully he does entire RV remodeling, so we are moving the bathroom down and removing the closets in order for me to have a full shower. We will be relocating the battery and charging box to underneath one of the twins, and the breaker box into the bathroom inside a small cabinet.

I'm also going to be replacing the second twin with a bank of cabinets, drawers, and a 20" wide wardrobe area. Removing upper cabinets in the sleeping area and replacing the kitchen cabinets to give more room in the from living room area.

I will be taking pictures as we go, so wish us luck!
Old 04-21-2017, 03:37 PM   #36

Currently Looking...
n/a , California
Good luck! Sounds really interesting definitely would love to see some photos!
Old 07-07-2017, 01:26 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Chattanooga , Tennessee
you might want to check out this thread: '72 TW renovation - How it began & how it has come

Tags
1971 tradewind, 25'