Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1970-79 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Liberty Hill , South Carolina
25' 1976 Tradewind New Owner Few Questions - Paint Protection and Awning

Newby Exterior Questions 25' 1976 Expertise Needed
We just bought a 25' 76 Airstream that we are living in and I am currently working out of as well (I do crafts mostly and some interior type decorating and such). We are slowly restoring while living in it and I actually have some exterior questions.
I'm asking on behalf of my fiancé who is not very internet saavy... I am handling the interior stuff myself obviously

We are both excited to have made this change in our lives and are very ready to live the "Airstream Way" as they say...

I have two questions:

1. The exterior is painted over with a grey type protective paint (according to the man who sold us the Airstream) He thought was a protective cover type paint to protect the aluminum during long term storage. Is anyone familiar with this coating? And... if so what will it entail to get it off and shinned up when we are ready to do that. (I can send a pic if necessary)

2. The original Awning is actually still in pretty perfect condition (surprisingly)
and it is Red White and Blue (at least I think its the original) Could this type awning be linked to it being a "76" As in Spirit of 76? (That's what we named her too)
Is there such a thing, model etc. or did I just make up something real cool? LOL

Any advise and expertise much appreciated.
ChrisseasCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Can you post a picture of the paint? While I have heard of clear coat protection, I've never heard of a protective grey paint? Is it hard (like paint) or more rubberized/ textures?

Welcome to the forum, by the way.
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Oh, and you can find other 76 Airstream pictures here;

1976 Tradewind 25' - Vintage Airstream

I didn't see any red/white/blue awnings but I'm su someone will be along shortly to comment! It wouldn't surprise me if it was a patriotic themed year!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1976 25' Tradewind
I will take photos today of the paint and get them on this eve (I have to walk up and down a hill for internet access :-) )
Old 11-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1976 25' Tradewind
And it is definitely hard... like a primer for a car maybe
Old 11-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
25' 1976 Tradewind New Owner Few Questions - Paint Protection and Awning

Greetings ChrisseasCC!

There are two possibilities with the "protective paint" on your Tradewind:

The first is a finish referred to as Plasticoat that is a proprietary product that Airstream utilized to protect the "sheen" of the trailers when new. This coating typically lasts ten years or so before it begins to fail as evidenced by areas of light gray or "milky" appearance of the skin. There are numerous threads here on the Forums detailing methods and processes of stripping the Plasticoat/Clearcoat and polishing the exterior.

The second possibility is that your Tradewind has been painted with an automotive or some similar finish. When an Airstream is painted in this manner it raises the suspicion that body damage repaired with bondo (or similar products) is being hidden. Should body repairs with bondo be the case, the prospect of stripping and polishing the coach will include replacing the damaged panels at the minimum (other panels may need replacement due to damage done during sanding to prepare the surface for paint). Some owners over the years have chosen to have high quality automotive finishes applied to avoid the costs involved in regular refinishing and polishing -- should this be the case, the stripping and polishing operation may not be too much different from starting with a Plasticoated coach (the issue with surface damage from sanding to prepare for the paint finish still exists).

Until very recently, there wasn't a standard awning on Airstreams. The owner could choose from a wide number of colors and designs. "Airstream Fancy" blue and white stripe Zip Dees are probably the most common awning/color combination on Airstreams, but there are any number of color/pattern possibilities from Zip Dee as well as several other awning manufacturers of the period. The red, white, and blue stripe awning on your coach may very well have been part of a Bicentennial package or something that a dealer ordered as a special promotion.

I am sure that your Tradewind will provide much enjoyment!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Thank you for the responses. Photos will follow. I don't think it was done to hide body issues, only because the man we bought it from was not about wanting a profit ~ He just wanted it out of his yard (needless to say we got it at a better than great price!
:-) )
Old 11-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Paint and Awning Photos

Here they are
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	76three.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	199362   Click image for larger version

Name:	76.4.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	199363  

Click image for larger version

Name:	76one.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	199364   Click image for larger version

Name:	76.5.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	327.0 KB
ID:	199365  

Old 11-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Welcome to the Forums

The awning is definitely one of a kind. I suspect you’re correct that it was a tie in to the Bicentennial. If its in good condition it will certainly be a focal point for further ’76 details. For example, the Land Yacht plaque could easily be done in red, white and blue like the International plaque on the higher trim models.
As far as the paint goes it looks a lot like standard sandable autobody primer. This is usually not very tough, being used to seal Bondo and sanding scratches before the finish coats. It doesn’t weather well. Try a rag soaked with mineral sprits and some elbow grease. 50/50 chance it will come off.
The problem here is that the clear coat underneath is probably in rough shape and the old primer has filled in all the pores as it was designed to do. Kevins right, you’ll probably have to strip the finish.
FYI the areas I’ve had to strip to do repairs on my ’72 looks pretty good with a coat of wax.
Most of the Vintage owners will tell there as few things more rewarding than bringing an old coach back to life. Keep at it, and post pictures of the progress.

Good Luck,
Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Gonzalez , Florida
Arrow

My 1978 Avion had a homemade rock guard on the front, terrible job. It was also hiding some even worse body work ie bondo. I used a citrus strip and it came off, not easy but not that hard to do.
Smokeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Thanks for all the responses and keep em coming! We need all the ideas out there for possibilities!