Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2017, 06:45 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Waymart , PA
Wink 1978 25' Tradewind- go for it?! Or $$?!

Need advice please!

Found on CL, and have deposit on a 78' Overlander, 25'. Ask price: $12500.

No dents, body appears in great shape, will need polishing, windows look good, appliances in-tact, but lounge removed.

The floors, (Pergo/Wood-look) have been redone, and bathroom/kitchen have been "redone"....
newer formica, "stock" cabinetry, and toilet/shower upgrade. Interior walls look to be in great shape.

Is this a reasonable price?

We are expecting to replace axels and to convert it to a higher AMP capability, since we will be working remotely ( 2 PC's, monitors, TV, etc...)

Does anyone know about wiring on these? Any other concerns we should be looking for?

ANY feedback is so greatly appreciated!

Link below:

https://syracuse.craigslist.org/rvs/...319175085.html

Thank you!
Silverdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Dont need to polish it. Save the time andmoney for other things.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Ok, it looks great but I would want to see some photos before the floor was covered to know if it was done right. Many times either by ignorance or design, a rotten floor is patched and damage hidden for you to find shortly after the sale. Typically these things leak at the back and at the 4 corners and the floor rots out and the frame rusts and the rear end detaches from the shell and you have rear end separation. I would want to know what structural repairs were made prior to remodeling the trailer. If it was done right, that is a fair price. If it was a nail polish job all that will have to come out. All the appliances should work. They should all be propane powered if you want to dry camp. The fridge should run on gas, the furnace, and water heater. Many times cheap electric replacements are put in a remodel and a new fridge is about $1400, Furnace $400, AC $1000, water heater $400, does the water system work? It could be a great trailer or a nice remodel on a rotten floor and frame.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:35 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Waymart , PA
78' Overlander..To got for it or not..Thanks you for replies...

You guys are great on this forum...Thank you for the replies! Helps to know that we can do away with polishing and sounds like the price isn't "out of the park" by both replies....

We will do our best to check out frame, subfloor- our biggest concern, was the new flooring and anything "covered up".

We don't want to buy a frame-off restortation project, that's for sure

Enjoy your night!
Old 11-13-2017, 10:57 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
McMurray , Pennsylvania
Check under everything you can

Make sure you lower the stairs and look at the condition of the metal connectors on the stairs. If they are rusted, then you'll know for sure you have leaking somewhere. Mine leaked around the windows next to the door and on the opposite side in the same place. That took a bit of a toll on the outrigger. Look everything over, don't be afraid to be aggressive, bring a flashlight. That price seems high to me. So try to negotiate with the prices of things you will have to replace (axels, AC, water heater). Skip the polish if the skin is in good shape. Good Luck!

Garden Caravan
reno blog @ https://sharwest.tumblr.com
sharwest9782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:30 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tallahassee , Florida
1. Is it a tradewind or overlander, because the overlander is longer and is not the same model as the tradewind, so I'm a little confused by your terminology. A 25 footer is a tradewind, 27 foot is an overlander.

2. I have a tradewind just two years older in similar condition, only the bathroom and plumbing haven't been re-done and the lounge hadn't been removed yet, and I only paid $8k for it, which was a pretty fair market value for what I got.

I would make sure the refrigerator is working if it's original, new ones or used old ones can cost close to 1k. Mine was still working. Other than that just determine if the upgrades it already has are worth going over 10k for.
starstruck08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
You might want to see if you can find use one of the "inspectors" available on this site: http://www.airforums.com/forums/members/list/
They can help you assess the condition of a unit and provide valuable info on what it might take to get it in shape for your needs.

Also look through this check list to identify other issues that you may need to inspect and a valuation.
http://vintageairstream.com/airstream-price-guide/
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ist-43294.html

Cheers,
2006 F-150 Lariat QuadCrew
AIR 31804
WBCCI 10718
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:08 AM   #8

Currently Looking...
Waymart , PA
1978 Tradewind Correction! :) And OSB floors? Relocate Bath?

Yes, I did get it confused....

It is listed as a 1978 Land Yacht Tradewind...

Did this year use OSB sub flooring?

The inspector list is VERY helpful!
And the inspection tips from other posts. Thank you all!

I agree- The listed price is high and I did some research, and it seems to fall in the $8k range, but maybe I am off?

Another member said be cautious, since the owner can't answer "how" the work was performed by previous owner. ( As you can see in pics, Pergo flooring done in some areas, and the kitchen/bathroom cabinets/surfaces "redone") The couch was removed also. He said it could be a "nail polish" cover up.

Biggest concern- a shell-off restoration, and water damage to sub floors and/or frame repair. Yipes! So inspection it is....

(Hoping to pick up a water-meter hand held detector, unless inspector has one)

Are back bathrooms not as desirable?

Can you relocate the bath to the side on this AS w/out compromising the TT?

Thanks again for all replies....you're all appreciated!

Stacey
Old 11-15-2017, 01:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I believe that plywood (rather than OSB) was used throughout the 70's, so if you are finding OSB, it is likely to be evidence of a patch-job.

Preference of the location of the bathroom is mostly a matter of taste. Some folks prefer the mid-ship bathroom because it allows them to have a dedicated bedroom in the aft of the trailer, and dedicated living area at the front. There is a somewhat common belief that rear baths contribute to the rear-end rot and separation, but this tends to be noticeable more on the long trailers.

Moving the bathroom is major surgery, because of dump valves, drain plumbing, tank venting, and moving whatever is in the position where you want to put your bathroom.

As for the price, if you get a trailer that is safe and ready to go camping, then it probably isn't excessive. If you have to immediately tear it apart and spend months working on it, then it is over priced.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote