Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1970-79 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Summerland , British Columbia
1975 Tradewind project - questions! lots of them!

Well it's now go time to get this trailer ready for April. we dragged it from Vancouver Island where it was shut up in the rain forest for years. As of today I have cleaned the skin of mold from the interior (countless hours) But it now smells clean and looks clean. The previous owner gutted the trailer forward of the kitchen. So I have no idea how the seating originally went. I have a loose table and a side cabinet which houses a swing out radio. The cabinet seems to fit on the passenger side forward of the entry door. At any rate I now have new sub floor down and I have dis-assembled the toilet and bathroom cabinet to try to locate a plumbing leak under the shower (I think).

I need some opinions I have repainted the front shroud and I'm pondering giving the upper cabinets a re-spray... has anyone painted the upper cabinets successfully?... I'd like it to look as professional as possible.. the shroud turned out great but the trim in the trailer is old and very brittle. Is there replacement trim available for the upper cabinets (it fits into the aluminum bands/frames)

Would anyone have pictures of the front layout of their trailers? I've found a few and I'm trying to figure out what it going to work for us and further trying to decide if we should stay with the factory layout or tweek it. We have a single bed not the twin be design.. we are pondering adding a small bed above the double bed for our three year old so we can separate the sleeping area from the kitchen/living area... open to ideas for this?!

I need to replace the vents... I'm thinking of the Fan-Tastic Vent... I think this is the one I had researched before Christmas as they had some airstream options for the curved roof and aluminum look cover... but now I can't find info on that on their website.. is there a better replacement vent?

Sorry for the barrage of questions.

Cheers
keithmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Kiethmac here is a link to Airstream's website showing your layout.
http://service.airstream.com/files/l...c978cc1dc7.pdf
The cabinet does indeed mount to the curbside wall forward of the entry door.
Airstream did at one time offer a fold down bunk bed over the double bed. It hung from cables mounted to the ceiling.
I am missing the same trim and as far as I know it is not available any more.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Trim

When it comes to the trim; I cut strips 1 1/16" wide from the vinyl flooring that I used in the bath. You can't slide it in, but you can install it by just holding the edge between your thumb and forefinger and give it a squeeze to make it form a slight "U" shape. It will nestle into the slot on each side.
The vinyl is easily cut with a pair of scissors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0349R.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	830.4 KB
ID:	123160  
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Burnsville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie
When it comes to the trim; I cut strips 1 1/16" wide from the vinyl flooring that I used in the bath. You can't slide it in, but you can install it by just holding the edge between your thumb and forefinger and give it a squeeze to make it form a slight "U" shape. It will nestle into the slot on each side.
The vinyl is easily cut with a pair of scissors.
Great job on trim and sounds easy.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Summerland , British Columbia
thanks for the updates. I'll put some pictures up later today. We scored a new set of seating and I picked up a new 3 burner drop in stove top. We decided to gut the kitchen counter and we will rebuild it.
keithmac is offline   Reply With Quote