Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2004, 02:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
1974 Tradewind Users Guide/Owners Manual

Does anyone have a users guide for a 1974 25' Tradewind? Is it worth ordering through the link I have seen on this forum? Could it be copied and faxed by some kind and generous soul? How about the schematics? Is that part of the users guide or owners manual? Just trying to get started with my new 'project'!

Thanks, Pam
pamelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 08:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Pam!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelake
Does anyone have a users guide for a 1974 25' Tradewind? Is it worth ordering through the link I have seen on this forum? Could it be copied and faxed by some kind and generous soul? How about the schematics? Is that part of the users guide or owners manual? Just trying to get started with my new 'project'!

Thanks, Pam
By '74, the owners' manuals had taken several steps forward from their humble beginnings in 1964. I know that the owners' manual for my '78 Minuet contains a wealth of information and I referr to it on a regular basis. In fact, I have both the owners' and service manuals for my coach. Even as a non-do-it-yourselfer, I find the service manual helpful in understanding the degree of difficulty involved in a particular task. The schematics to which you referr can be found in both the owners' manual as well as the service manual - - those in the owners' manual tend to be somewhat rudimentary while those in the service manual provide much greater detail.

I don't believe that you would find it cost effective to fax an owners' manual. The owners' manuals for 1970s era coaches typically were 100+ pages (I am basing this on the Argosy owners' manuals that I possess); while the service manuals are in the vicinity of 500+ pages.

Good luck with your projects!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 09:31 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Kevin, Thanks for the information. I didn't realize the manuals are so big. I guess I had better order them. I have wanted an Airstream for years and am somewhere between thrilled and totally freaked out about what I have gotten myself into!!! Pam

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
Greetings Pam!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

By '74, the owners' manuals had taken several steps forward from their humble beginnings in 1964. I know that the owners' manual for my '78 Minuet contains a wealth of information and I referr to it on a regular basis. In fact, I have both the owners' and service manuals for my coach. Even as a non-do-it-yourselfer, I find the service manual to helpful in understanding the degree of difficulty involved in a particular task. The schematics to which you referr can be found in both the owners' manual as well as the service manual - - those in the owners' manual tend to be somewhat rudimentary while those in the service manual provide much greater detail.

I don't believe that you would find it cost effective to fax an owners' manual. The owners' manuals for 1970s era coaches typically were 100+ pages (I am basing this on the Argosy owners' manuals that I possess); while the service manuals are in the vicinity of 500+ pages.

Good luck with your projects!

Kevin
Old 12-31-2004, 08:37 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Pam!

Quote:
Kevin, Thanks for the information. I didn't realize the manuals are so big. I guess I had better order them. I have wanted an Airstream for years and am somewhere between thrilled and totally freaked out about what I have gotten myself into!!! Pam
The restoration/refurbishment of a coach can seem overwhelming, especially in the early stages. In my experience, it helps to look at the whole project as a series of "manageable" projects. My first step has generally been to assess the coach with an eye toward what needs to be done (at a minimum) to get it road-worthy and usable. Even though I am not a do-it-yourselfer, I try to determine what needs to be done so that I can get the coach back into useful condition as quickly as possible. For instance, my Minuet needed a water heater, Univolt, LP Tank OPD valve upgrade, and soft-goods in the interior to make it useful so those were my first required projects - - after contracting out that work I was able to begin immediate use of the coach. In the months to follow, the front rock guard was added, an air conditioner was added, and a new Henschen axle was installed. The last major projects in the restoration/refurbishment will be new paint and awning(s?).

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 09:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Airstream Service Manual Size

I looked at a 1973 Airstream Service Manual and it was about 280 pages. I suspect the 1974 manual is about the same? You can deduce from that if ordering photo copies from that secretarial service that has been mentioned is worth it.

I would like a 1971 service manual but I don't think they started them until 1972 or 1973.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 12:08 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Thanks, I will order one on Monday. I notice you are towing with a Nissan...how is that working for you? I have purchased the cart before the horse and am now in search of the perfect tow vehicle. The Nissan is very handsome! Pam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
I looked at a 1973 Airstream Service Manual and it was about 280 pages. I suspect the 1974 manual is about the same? You can deduce from that if ordering photo copies from that secretarial service that has been mentioned is worth it.

I would like a 1971 service manual but I don't think they started them until 1972 or 1973.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Quote:
Thanks, I will order one on Monday. I notice you are towing with a Nissan...how is that working for you? I have purchased the cart before the horse and am now in search of the perfect tow vehicle. The Nissan is very handsome! Pam
I am thoroughly enjoying my Nissan Titan. Great truck. Don't regret the decision even though I was a longtime imprinted Chevy Truck owner (12 total). As for towing, the only thing I have towed so far is a blown over dead elm in my driveway a few weeks ago to get it out of the way. My Airstream remains parked for another year since the majority of my vacation time will be in Bolivia, South America to visit, hopefully, a new grandchild. I did embarrassingly get stuck up on the Minnesota Gunflint Trail last summer and had to be towed out by a tow truck with a winch.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 11:29 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Pam, hold up a few days on ordering the Service Manual.

1st I may be able to help you. I will send you a PM.

2nd there is some evidence that the copies sold by the service so often mentioned are poor quality reproductions. You can search these forums and find that discussed somewhere under Owners Manuals or Manuals or Service Manuals etc.

3rd Be aware that there is an Owner's Manual and a Service Manual for some years and models of Airstreams. They are two separate and entirely different in scope items. I know that in 74 the (single) Service manual covered all of the Airstream Models that year except the Excella which was omitted for some odd reason.

BEWARE:The "search feature" of this forum is very fickle and you have to get used to it or it will leave alot of valuable information "un-found".
Hit'nMiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 10:29 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Battle Ground , Washington
Thumbs up

Quote:

Thanks, Pam
For my 1975 Tradewind I bought a very good orginial mannual from a good soul on this forum. It cost $100.00. It was worth it. I now have the orginial service and parts mannual. The trailer came with all the orginial sales records and operators mannual. Watch out for photo copies of mannuals they may omit some important pages, unless you know the source. People on this forum are a good source and can be very helpful.
Hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 02:41 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
I have found someone with a '74 service manual...what would be a reasonable price to pay? Thanks, Pam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippo
For my 1975 Tradewind I bought a very good orginial mannual from a good soul on this forum. It cost $100.00. It was worth it. I now have the orginial service and parts mannual. The trailer came with all the orginial sales records and operators mannual. Watch out for photo copies of mannuals they may omit some important pages, unless you know the source. People on this forum are a good source and can be very helpful.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:21 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

I ordered both the 1972 owners manual and the service manual from Secretarial Services. They appear to be photocopies of photocopies of photocopies..... As such, while most of the printed information is extremely useful, the photo-reproduction is absolutely terrible. Now if there was some way for Secretarial Services to scan the ORIGINAL manuals onto the web, they could still charge for the manuals and we could download and print our own copies. I would hope that the original photos would be of much better quality and our printing them out would not reduce the quality that much. Unfortuantely, most of the photos are so bad that the information is undecipherable and totally unusable. One photo was entirely missing from my manual. They sent me a photocopy of that particular photo which was also printed in the 73 manual! If anyone has original manuals they might be able to make some kind of arrangement with Airstream to make them available! I would imagine that copywrite issues might come in to play, however.
TMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 06:08 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
This is too late to help the previous post but future readers...I ordered a 1972 Airstream service manual from Airstream. The list is on line, though I had to look a bit in the AS site. Using next day Air the cost was $87.00 ($60 + 27 air), the manual is very good and already has been useful. This should help me get mine ready sometime next year.

Owners manuals I have not had to look for. My trailer had the original (& original owner warrenty) in it.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 10:41 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
I ordered the shop manual from secretarial servives for 45 bucks and I got what I paid for. Itis mostly photo copy but it has helped me with many problem.
Bradjun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:34 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Monument , Colorado
1974 Tradewind Land Yacht

I'm new to the forum but would like to offer all of my original manuals (laser copied) to anyone who wants them. Cost=shipping.
seeflash is offline   Reply With Quote