Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1960 - 1965 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2007, 10:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Ladysmith , British Columbia
Smile Some questions about our 1960 Safari

Hi there,

We bought a 1960 Safari off of the internet a few weeks ago, and we have some questions that I was hoping someone here may be able to help us out with. I have some pictures of some of the stuff I have questions about. If more pics are needed about my questions, just let me know!!

1. We can't seem to figure out if there are two holding tanks or one. There is one that we have found that we can see connects to the kitchen sink and such, and is very obviously a holding tank. Then there is a thick fiber glass tank that is under our toilet......could we possibly have a black water tank and a grey water tank?? We just don't seem to think that there would have been two seperate tanks back then!!

2. What is this valve for next to our toilet?? Is it something to do with the possible black water tank we may have??? The handle in the middle pulls up and down, and turns quite easily.

3. Alrighty, next up. Someone, years ago with great wisdom, has put MULTIPLE layers of latex paint on my countertop, sink and tub!!!! WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!!!!?????

We have got the countertop and sink out with minimal fuss, but are stuck on the tub. Any ideas?? Any one have any experiences with this?? We unscrewed the trim around the top and it doesn't seem to even budge, how else are they anchored down?? (Other than the drain, of course )

Here, for you viewing pleasure, is a picture of our wretched, bubblegum pink tub!! We are wanting to strip it down and re-paint it......a bit more of a neutral, non-peeling, paint

Dorothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:23 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
BTW, I forgot to say thanks

Kristine.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy
Hi there, ... We bought a 1960 Safari .... [and need help].

1. We can't seem to figure out if there are two holding tanks or one. There is one that we have found that we can see connects to the kitchen sink and such, and is very obviously a holding tank. Then there is a thick fiber glass tank that is under our toilet......could we possibly have a black water tank and a grey water tank?? We just don't seem to think that there would have been two seperate tanks back then!!
Hi Dorothy: Only one holding tank, for black water, would have been factory installed in 1960. A Prior Owner (PO) might have installed the grey water tank to catch kitchen water, so you might have two tanks ... but that would be a later PO modification during the past 47 years.

Quote:
2. What is this valve for next to our toilet?? Is it something to do with the possible black water tank we may have??? The handle in the middle pulls up and down, and turns quite easily.

That should be the dump valve for your black water tank, pull up to "let 'er rip". I don't know why it spins. The toilet looks like a later replacement, so the black water tank may have been replaced when the toilet was.

Quote:
3. Alrighty, next up. Someone, years ago with great wisdom, has put MULTIPLE layers of latex paint on my countertop, sink and tub!!!! WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!!!!?????

We have got the countertop and sink out with minimal fuss, but are stuck on the tub. Any ideas?? Any one have any experiences with this?? We unscrewed the trim around the top and it doesn't seem to even budge, how else are they anchored down?? (Other than the drain, of course )

Here, for you viewing pleasure, is a picture of our wretched, bubblegum pink tub!! We are wanting to strip it down and re-paint it......a bit more of a neutral, non-peeling, paint

That's not pink ... that's California Coral! In the late 50s and early 60s, some Airstream appliances and fixtures were pink from the factory, so a PO might have wanted to emulate them ... or they might be pink underneath and perhaps were simply "freshened up" by a PO. I can't help you with your Double Bubble dilemma or offer any advice on tub removal, but someone else will likely do so.

Congratulations on your great vintage Airstream!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Valve

You can find paints to paint the tub some are at home stores and marine supply stores. The valve has 2 locking tabs at the 12:30 and 6:30 position. Pull up above the current position turn clockwise and let down. You then can turn the valve into the locking cleats to stop it form opening when towing. It appears to be a gate valve but may rotate to open. Get a flashlight and look into the discharge pipe. Remove the trim ring around the valve and inspect. The flat top of the valve makes me suspect that the top of the valve (Bonnet) unscrews for inspection and cleaning.

Good Luck.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:16 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Montrose , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy
We had the same setup in our 1961 Flying Cloud. We removed the rear cabinet assembly in order to refinish. The tub came out easily once the cabinet was out of the way. You may have to deal with silicone or caulking around the edges as well. I had cracked fiberglass on our tub that had to be repaired. Once it was repaired I used a two part epoxy paint to refinish the California Coral to White.

It is not down in any map; true places never are. ~Herman Melville
DesertStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:25 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Thanks for everyone's help!!

The toilet is newer(still has the price sticker on it), that, the floors, and the painted sink and tub are the only things that have been changed in it.

I kind of figured at one point Airstream had used that pink in their trailers, and when we saw the pictures of Dorothy we thought the sink and the tub we originally that colour........when we picked her up and saw her for the first time the condition of the bathroom was by far the biggest surprise/shock. As well as the floors.....the guy we bought it off of used floating laminate floors, with thick carpet underlay beneath, so no matter where you set it feels soft!!! He didn't finish off the trim on the laminate so we have pulled it up in a few places and the wood beneath is solid.....it really is just the underlay that is making it feel squishy.....that was a bit of a concern when we first stepped in it.

The tub does have a crack in it, but luckily my other half has a fair amount of experience in working with fiberglass. Our plan was to get them both out of the trailer, strip off all the old paint, then repaint them......and as we are set up in our shop to deal with painting cars we were thinking of spraying them both with automotive paint. It is hard wearing and would deal well with water.

As far as the tanks go, I think we have to take a closer look at them.

Some of the plumbing pipes appear to be iron, was this common back then on the trailers??

Thanks for the tub removal tips, tank information, and clueing us in to what that valve is
Old 08-08-2007, 09:58 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Montrose , Colorado
Just found a post about refinishing tubs using porcelain enamel from Midwest Chemicals. Midwest Chemicals I wish that I had known about them when we refinished our tub and vanity.

It is not down in any map; true places never are. ~Herman Melville
DesertStream is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags