Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Ambassador > 1959 - 1965 Ambassador
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2009, 09:04 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
valencia , California
Smile restoring an Ambassador Airstream

We would like information on a ballpark figure of what it costs to completely restore an Airstream Ambassador. It has the numbers "7419" in red letters on the front of it. It is a 25' unit, 28' in all with the front hitch. I think my grandparents purchased it in 1960, 61 or 62. It has been sitting for about 40 years so probably needs everything from tires, brakes to complete restoration of the interior, etc. We would like to keep it in the family and use it ourselves too, but are wondering if the cost to restore it is worth it...any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance!
happycamper9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper9 View Post
We would like information on a ballpark figure of what it costs to completely restore an Airstream Ambassador. It has the numbers "7419" in red letters on the front of it. It is a 25' unit, 28' in all with the front hitch. I think my grandparents purchased it in 1960, 61 or 62. It has been sitting for about 40 years so probably needs everything from tires, brakes to complete restoration of the interior, etc. We would like to keep it in the family and use it ourselves too, but are wondering if the cost to restore it is worth it...any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance!
Hi, and Welcome to the Forums! The first thing you should do is take a lot of pictures inside and out and post them here! Read as much as you can here on restorations and inspecting for running gear, floors, and any damaged interior/exterior issues. Then determine what you want to repair/replace/upgrade. The cost to "get camping" can vary depending on what you find to start with. Most here will advise to get basics checked and go camping to see what you like or dislike about how the trailer works. Get started and keep us updated on your progress. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
Check my blog, www.1961airstream.blogspot.com for a look at my ongoing restoration. I am about a year and a half into the project, and have spent about $5,000 so far including the purchase price of the trailer. I am doing most of the labor myself.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:38 AM   #4

Currently Looking...
valencia , California
I checked out your blog, thanks for including that! Wow you've done a nice job. So it's apparent this isn't a quick process but might be an ultimately rewarding one...
Old 08-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
Not at all a quick process. Very satisfying, however. I have always had a project from cars to motorcycles. This is my first travel trailer and I am enjoying it immensly. This past weekend we took it out for the first time to the Bakers Acres Family Camping Get Together, and although we did not have 12V electricity, refridgeration, propane systems or running water we had a blast.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Including the price of the AS I probably have $8000 into mine. but I did make the choice not to keep track as it might be depressing...
You can see what I have been doing here.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...dor-44644.html

Mine is a 68 Ambassador... 28 footer..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:12 AM   #7

Currently Looking...
valencia , California
Smile

Thank you for the input; love the pictures!

Don't know what we're going to do yet, or if we will do it ourselves or hire others, but at least we have some idea of what it all entails....that is very useful to know that going in. It is awesome of everyone to respond so quickly, thanks to all for that as well. We'll keep you posted on what we plan to do and the progress!

Tags
1961 ambassador