Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2007, 03:58 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1963 22' Flying Cloud
1963 24' Tradewind
, , Minnesota
waste valve

Does anyone know if i can replace rubber valve on waste slide or do i need to buy new 1 we have decided to upgrade holding tank to a 20 gallon and are about to pull apart but need to know what and where to order for valve thanks
1963tradewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Waste valve rebuild

Amigo,
I rebuilt the Thetford waste valves on my 1976 Argosy and the rebuild kits were at my Airstream service/parts facility. The Thetford valves were really easy to rebuild and work correctly now. They are designed to be rebuilt with screws and hard plastic threaded sleves. There were a couple of different rebuild kits so knowing the model of valve may be important. I didn't know but just took a chance. I ended up with more seals and stuff than I needed so the kits I got may have worked in a number of valves. I would have to bet that Inland would have kits or know where to get them.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963tradewin
Does anyone know if i can replace rubber valve on waste slide or do i need to buy new 1 we have decided to upgrade holding tank to a 20 gallon and are about to pull apart but need to know what and where to order for valve thanks
We are in the process of rebuilding ours for our Bambi II. We found good instructions on this post. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:40 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1963 22' Flying Cloud
1963 24' Tradewind
, , Minnesota
Update I cant find holding tank anywhere for this thing except for a 8 gallon I think I have a 10 gallon now so its time to fill her up and cross my fingers if she leaks ill have to bring her to the professionals to fix once and for all because there is no way im spending 500$ on a waste tank from inland rv
Old 05-15-2007, 06:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963tradewin
Update I cant find holding tank anywhere for this thing except for a 8 gallon I think I have a 10 gallon now so its time to fill her up and cross my fingers if she leaks ill have to bring her to the professionals to fix once and for all because there is no way im spending 500$ on a waste tank from inland rv
There are other companies that sell these tanks. Check out Custom Plastic Tanks Marine Water Holding RV - Plastic-Mart which sells a 20 gallon waste tank for $136. There are loads of sizes to choose from.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:31 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If the valve leaks, they can be rebuilt, as long as you have the slinky adapter for it, if not, you are swimming upstream. They are a special size, and NLA. If the tank leaks, it is fiberglass, and you can pull it out and repair the tank for about $15 in materials. I bought a fiberglass repair kit from Napa last week with the mat, resin, and hardener for a bit less than that.
Also, if you want to replace the valve, I'll be happy to list the stuff you will need, and detailed instructions on how to install a modern valve on your tank.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:26 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1963 22' Flying Cloud
1963 24' Tradewind
, , Minnesota
We got the tank and valve separated the tank looks like a 15 gal and does not leak we were thinking we would put some spray on bed liner around it just to reinforce but but what part number do i need for this dump valve? It looks like the slide mechanism is built into the dump pipe can I replace this slide when I get new valve or do I need new dump pipe im confused any help would be appreciated thanks
Old 05-15-2007, 07:49 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
rebuilding valves

in my Argosy there were two valves. I was able to get the black water valve out and rebuild it on my work bench. I couldn't get the grey water out without sawing stuff up so I rebuilt it in place... both were pretty easy.
One word of caution about working on these tanks. The black water tanks have had some pretty caustic chemicals in them that can get transfered to a bunch of places under the camper. Be sure to wear safety glasses. Getting the chemicals in your eyes can make an afternoon project into a trip to the opthomologist.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:27 AM   #9

1963 24' Tradewind
Acworth , Georgia
I would love to have the instructions and parts needed to install a modern valve to my 1963 tradewind. Mine leaks slowly when you have the valve closed and you flush the toilet. I was thinking I would put a new o-ring and seals but maybe I need to do something else. Any help would be much appreciated.
tincuplady is offline   Reply With Quote