Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Langley , Washington
Tradewind Extraction

This little extraction took about 7 hours, and two trucks, to move from my next door neighbors to my place.

Fence removed, truck #1 in place. Non-approved towing:

Scenic spot:

Truck #2, tight clearance:

At rest:

Labels:

So, I could use some help interpreting the serial number:
24TSS-0565
1260 (right below)

Is it December, 1960?

Lots of questions will follow.
CDMDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Nice! Did your neighbor sell it to you? What's the background, if you don't mind sharing?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Check out 61TW. Based on RJ Dial's information, you have a 1961 California Tradewind there. I don't have a clue what the 1260 stands for, but it certainly looks like it was numbered at the factory. Since Airstream's build year started somethime in September the year prior, that could be a build date for a '61.

Very interesting, I don't see windows to the right of the door. This is the first TW I've seen without. I'd love to see the inside.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
His site shows a 1960 Tradewind similar to the one above, but with dual axles. You can see by the window configuration that it was built with bunk beds.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Here's a link:

1960Tradewind7
Old 10-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #6
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I work in Santa Rosa, Ca. I wonder where Mitchells was located. Until recently, Santa Rosa had many RV dealers. Santa Rosa RV was in business for 35 years and just folded in 2008. Nice find. Good luck with her.

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
His site shows a 1960 Tradewind similar to the one above, but with dual axles. You can see by the window configuration that it was built with bunk beds.
You're right, Cameron. That example must have been posted since the last time I reviewed the '60s on Dial's site. I learn something everyday.

On edit: neither of Dial's '61s have windows by the door either. I'm slacking and seriously need to review his site again.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:58 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Langley , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Do the two narrow windows always indicate bunk beds? There are some ledgers inside which could have been for an upper bunk, but it's not there.

This has been sitting under the trees at the neighbors for about ten years. It was intended to be an extra room for their small house, but it didn't get enough sun to keep the mildew down. Someone was living in it about two years ago, with systems functioning, AFAIK. The neighbors gifted this to me, provided I got it out. There is an expectation of a nice renovation, but haven't really assessed the whole thing yet. It does appear to be fairly intact and original. All the cushions are gone.

Has a couple broken windows, dents in the rear roof from a limb fall, needs a front door lockset. etc etc. Mainly I need to get it weather resistant for the coming rains.

Next question: how did they install solid rivets on the inside skin? More to the point, how do I reinstall if I remove the skin? Just use pop rivets? I have the tools for solid rivets.

Thanks,
C.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Free!!! WOW!!! Congratulations to you.....she looks like a sweet trailer. Definitely do everything you can to seal up the windows, doors, seams etc... before the rains come.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMDB View Post

Next question: how did they install solid rivets on the inside skin? More to the point, how do I reinstall if I remove the skin? Just use pop rivets? I have the tools for solid rivets.

Thanks,
C.
If you look close you will see pop rivets on those panels. If you drill them out the whole panel will come down and you will see that the pieces were buck riveted together then put up with pop rivets.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:01 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
Check out 61TW. Based on RJ Dial's information, you have a 1961 California Tradewind there. I don't have a clue what the 1260 stands for, but it certainly looks like it was numbered at the factory. Since Airstream's build year started somethime in September the year prior, that could be a build date for a '61.
I think flyfshr has pointed out this is the month & year it was built. Sleighbells along the A-frame?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:09 AM   #12
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Whoo Hoo!!! Another early TradeWind.

The 1260 is the date stamp from the factory, it is a 1961 model since trailers made after one of the months in the fall, I can't remember which, becomes the next model year. Similar to the automotive industry.

Yes, the long slot windows always indicate a permanent bunk bed on that side. Most of these were set-up with a hinge along the wall so the bunk could be stored in the up position making a bit more room. I suppose one wouldn't need to make the bed up if you could hide it.

Your serial number of 24TSS-0565 indicates 24' = TradeWind, T for twin beds, SS = Santa Fe Springs plant (altho I've seen a number of TW's with this designation that have the bunks), and 0565 is the 565th TradeWind out of the CA plant since they started making TradeWind's there.

The interior skins where they are held together with solid rivets was assembled outside of the trailer and slipped in, probably through the front or back window, and put in place as one piece. Look at the panels with solid vs. pop rivets and you'll see how it went in. Since the strength of the shell is part of the entire trailer's rigidity, I imagine solid rivets on this section really stouted up the entire structure.

That was quite a rescue and extraction. Good job getting it out and congratulations. You're going to love your TradeWind. They R O C K ! !

Keep us posted with your progress / renovations and keep those pictures coming.

Brad
FF

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMDB View Post
Do the two narrow windows always indicate bunk beds? There are some ledgers inside which could have been for an upper bunk, but it's not there.

...snip...

Thanks,
C.

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:39 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
I was born and raised in Santa Rosa and believe Mitchell's was on Santa Rosa Ave. Wow, that looks like a nice TW. Congrats to you!
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Cover her with the WA State flag (blue tarp) and put a little heater inside. Nice coach!
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:34 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
Congratulations on your new airstream! The bunkbed window configuration looks totally cool! Do you have any interior photos?
2vets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:53 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Langley , Washington
Good news here: I got the title straightened out, and now getting going on this project*.
Made an order today with VTS, and finally got "the vision" for my interior work.

Earlier this summer, I worked on this to take to Burning Man:

And last year I built this:

So I realized that "rivets" could be the guiding force for the interior of the AS.

More to come!

*Disclaimer: I have many projects, so don't hold your breath.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I'd buy that off you for TEN TIMES what you paid for it!
Old 09-16-2010, 03:35 PM   #18
newly aluminated

1958 22' Flying Cloud
issaquah , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Cover her with the WA State flag (blue tarp)
good one! LOL -- congrats on the extraction! still wondering about no window by the door....

sabine
near Issaquah
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
58flycloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:35 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Langley , Washington
Progress comes at random intervals, due to all the rest of life intruding.
Teri, the neighbor who generously gifted me with this trailer last year, died a few weeks ago, so working on the trailer brings up some melancholy emotions.
Here’s a few more pictures of the Tradewind. I found this brochure online, and it has the floor plan of my trailer ( with a few minor differences, such as the WH location). It’s the twin bed version:
1960 Brochure
One thing that happened after seeing this brochure was a realization that having this trailer could be a good reason to get a big vintage American car. I spent a long time looking at the early 60's Imperials, and eventually talked myself out of it (for the time being).

Interior is fairly stock. All the fabrics and cushions were already thrown out. The floor seems quite good, with just a bit of decay at the door. The water supply lines are shot.

The “bunk bed” windows never had a upper bunk, just a shelf.

The exterior is in basically good shape, with a few bumps and bruises here and there. I’m going to keep the trailer in “patina”, so most of these don’t bother me much. I'll attempt to pull out the large dents with a glue-on puller.

Spare tire cover, bathroom window has some missing glass.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:08 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Langley , Washington
Today I wanted to get the door in shape for the coming weather. I got some of the weatherstripping from VTS, and needed to remove the old adhesive first.

I tried acetone, carb cleaner, and laquer thinner, used with a brass bristle brush to remove the residue. The carb cleaner seemed the best, and it was easy to apply it gently to only the desired area. I also used Simple Green with a fine Scotchbrite pad, which cleaned everything but the glue residue. Since I want to keep the patina, I needed to figure out how to clean and remove rust stains without getting things too shiny. I had four levels of Scotchbrite in the garage. Green is too corse. Maroon is “very fine” and still pretty aggressive on aluminum. Grey is “ultrafine”, which I ended up using. I also have some White, which is mostly for polishing. Even with the ultrafine grey, it’s easy to go too far and end up with the aluminum too shiny, in areas where I wanted to remove the rust stains.
Rust stained and cleaned

With the new WX:

I also bought some stainless screws to replace the exterior screws which were rusted. Comparing the original screw with the new ones, it looks like either the modern ”#8" screw is smaller than the #8 from the 60's or the original is a #9. I decided to get the #10 screws, since some of the holes will undoubtably be stripped.
Rusty screw and stainless screw

I renovated the little “door in door” awning. It’s still notably shinier, but looks good. I also straightened out the lips of several of the awnings. This was an easy and rewarding task.