Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2019, 07:03 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Middle , Georgia
Swamperdog's '65 Tradewind Preservation

Hi Everyone,

I'm not new to the forum but I am new to owning an Airstream! I've been lurking for years but just bought a '65 Tradewind double a few weeks ago. I've been working my way through the camper making lists of things to do but haven't started any updates yet.

I'm starting this thread so I can plan out and prioritize work as well as document the work for others to see.

I made two short videos walking around and through the camper. Is it ok to post links to YT videos up here so others can see what I'm working on? If not, I'll take some still pics and put them up here shortly. (there are pics up on my profile page as well)

-Swamperdog
swamperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
You can post links to videos, web pages, etc. Not a problem usually.

You might find this post by a member of the airforums site team useful. Far as I know it is still correct.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ics-44928.html

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:16 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Middle , Georgia
Initial Checklist

I've been working on a checklist for items to work on for the camper. My highest priority items are as follows:

1. Full exterior inspection searching for any missing caulking or seals that might leak. Focus on making sure the camper is properly sealed and not necessarily by replacing all seals and gaskets.

2. Full electrical inspection and testing. Verify what parts of the electrical system are working and what will need updating.

Those are my top options. Now here is my list broken out by exterior vs. interior vs. drivetrain but not necessarily in priority order.

I would appreciate any comments or feedback on the list including anything you think I am missing

Exterior

Main door seal replacement
Main door hold open?
Screen door seal replacement
Screen door second latch and adjustments
Sand and paint tongue
Clean Airstream logo with mineral spirits
Propane system - Exterior inspection
Inspect plexiglass windows
Replace window gaskets and seals all the way around
Exterior access panel doors - open and replace locks with matching keyed locks
Replace rear tail light housings
Replace rear tail lights with LEDs
Replace and seal marker lights with LEDs
Remove, inspect and seal rear one stop service panel
Rear storage lid missing part of hinge and latches
Replace license plate light with LED
Sort out exterior exposed plumbing/drains
Sort out hot water heater exposed externally
Sort out squirrel heater - exposed externally
Replace or renovate exhaust fan vent on exterior
test front and side levels
test and clean manual crank jack

Interior

Sort out original light fixtures testing voltage
Replace fixture bulbs with LEDs
Replace missing light fixture towards rear
Come up with plan for all water damage at cabinet bases
Come up with folding table plan for missing folding table
Sort out additional seating in front (folding chair)
Clean and test range (sort out propane first)
Clean and test range hood fan
Replace backsplash with stick on aluminum?
Replace screening in screens and make screen frames for windows without screeens
Check new skylight for leaks
Sort out and re-rivet new ceiling vents
Test new AC system
Burned interior of upper cabinets. Replace water damaged floors in upper cabinets
Sort out sink and plumbing. New gray tank?
Clean all gaucho cushions. Repair rips
Sort out leak in bathroom and inspect floor under flooring
Systems
Sort out electrical, AC/DC converter, battery, charging and 120v/12v electrical system.
Sort out propane system and figure out connection at old fridge location

Drivetrain

Have axles, hubs and brakes inspected
Repack bearings
Replace shocks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream_front.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	634.5 KB
ID:	341257   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream_back.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	341258  

Name:	airstream_bow.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	661.4 KB
ID:	341259   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream_stern.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	614.0 KB
ID:	341260  

Old 05-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Middle , Georgia
Interior Pics

Here are the interior pics. I waited too long to edit the last post so I'm adding them here.

-Swamperdog
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	front_gaucho.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	341262   Click image for larger version

Name:	galley_1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	341263  

Name:	midcabin_gaucho.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	341264   Click image for larger version

Name:	head.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	341265  

Name:	center_hall.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	341266  
Old 05-21-2019, 07:23 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Middle , Georgia
walkthru/walkaround videos

Here are the videos of the camper inside and out. I'm going to start on some of the small projects while I'm planning out the bigger ones.

Please ignore my comment about being built in Decatur, AL. I meant to say "purchased!"

Exterior: Walkaround

Interior: Walkthru
Old 05-22-2019, 06:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Your 65 twind looks very nice inside and out. We had one a couple years ago and sold it as we have two others.

With regard to your rear tail lights those are 1965 year only. Not the best idea they ever had and were not repeated in any other year. You may want to hang on to them and fix them with fiberglass from the outside as best you can for now. When I find them I will post some pictures here on other people's examples of what they have done with theirs. You can only get to the inside I'd them by taking the interior skins off. Not easy to work on so maybe hang on to what you have until you can find something else.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Great “to do” list. With older propane lines and systems, do get a LP Gas detector. Good luck and looking forward to your renovation progress reports.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:18 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Middle , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Your 65 twind looks very nice inside and out. We had one a couple years ago and sold it as we have two others.

With regard to your rear tail lights those are 1965 year only. Not the best idea they ever had and were not repeated in any other year. You may want to hang on to them and fix them with fiberglass from the outside as best you can for now. When I find them I will post some pictures here on other people's examples of what they have done with theirs. You can only get to the inside I'd them by taking the interior skins off. Not easy to work on so maybe hang on to what you have until you can find something else.
Thanks Hittenstiehl. I saw that VTS lists some better replacements for the '65 tail lights but they are sold out. I haven't called yet to see if that is permanent status.

I really like the layout of the Tradewind double. Mine is reversed with the mid gaucho on the galley side. I guess there were lots of custom options like that.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:20 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Middle , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
Great “to do” list. With older propane lines and systems, do get a LP Gas detector. Good luck and looking forward to your renovation progress reports.
Thanks Bubba. That's a really good idea. I should probably do that before I start inspecting the lines. I saw in another post where someone had a combo carbon monoxide/LPG detector. I think I'm going to look for one of those.

- Swamperdog
Old 05-23-2019, 09:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
We have the combo plug in with a battery backup in both our trailers. Also a small smoke detector.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Yes, you are correct, VTS has just had those reproduced / manufactured and they look fantastic. You are right make sure you snag a pair of those before you take your old ones out.

Our trailer was also a double and we loved it, it's a very popular one.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:30 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Middle , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
We have the combo plug in with a battery backup in both our trailers. Also a small smoke detector.
I just searched on eBay and Amazon and saw that most of the detectors with LPG are plug in. I did find a wand that runs on AA batteries. I may start with the wand so I can check the whole system easily and then use the plug in for general monitoring. (along with the soapy water test)
Old 05-23-2019, 07:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi swamperdog, welcome from Colorado: I happened on your 65 Trade Wind thread and would like to follow along.

I had a 66 Trade Wind that I did extensive work to. It was a twin bed layout, but otherwise very similar, except for the Corning glass windows used from 66 to 68. The 67's had significant changes to the bath. The mid sixties trailers are very desirable vintage trailers.

I installed new axles, new waste water tanks, new bath, new electrical system, new fresh water plumbing, new floor covering, new appliances and on and on. I enjoy working on these vintage Airstreams.

Here are some photos of my 66 just before I sold it. I now have a 75 Overlander that I'm working on.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1708 Sale Front Shade (Small).JPG
Views:	61
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	341476   Click image for larger version

Name:	1708 Sale Twins 1 (Small).JPG
Views:	66
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	341477  

Name:	1708 Sale Gaucho 1 (Small).JPG
Views:	91
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	341478   Click image for larger version

Name:	1708 Sale Rear Shade-800x600.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	341479  

WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:08 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Hey Swamperdog, welcome to the insanity. You did a very comprehensive inspection and work plan. My compliments.

I just replaced my marker lights with led ones from VTS. They are great. I should not have waited so long to replace these.

You probably should plan on axle and brake replacement sometime.

I have a renovation thread- Dan’s 66 Tradewind Improvements.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:24 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Middle , Georgia
Well I've been enjoying the Airstream and gathering parts over the past year. It's my man cave in the backyard right now!

I'm working on windows and seals today. I need to replace a broken window crank on one of my awning windows. I have the replacement operator but I'm looking for instructions on how to remove the old one and couldn't find anything in search.

Could someone point me to a thread or give me a few tips? I don't want to run into issues and either break something or have to leave this window open since it's supposed to rain tomorrow.

Thanks!

Swamperdog
Old 06-12-2020, 09:00 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Middle , Georgia
Replacing Window Operators on a 65 Tradewind

So over the past couple of weeks, I figured out the "clutch" head screws, how to remove the window operators and what parts I needed for the window operator arm to slide in the window track. Here are the parts from Vintage Trailer Supply:

VTS-578 Clutch Head Bit Set - This is the head pattern on all of my window operator screws on my trailer
VTS-348 Nylon Friction Pad - These are the plastic pads that attach to the end of the window operator through the hole and slide up and down in the window track.

My trailer came with a bunch of parts so I already had the window operators. They were not from VTS but you can try searching the internet for " Silver Residential Window Crank Shafts 807PK-1" I found a pair on eBay so I got them as backups.

In order to remove the window operator, I removed the screen frame, unscrewed the clutch head mounting screws from the operator, opened the window holders and then pushed the window out while I slid the operator arm up in the track to the point where there was a cutout. The old friction pad was broken and had a small spring holding the two sides together. Unfortunately I couldn't get it to pop out of the track.

I went outside with a small standard head screwdriver, lifted the window and used the screwdriver to break out the spring. Once the spring and piece of plastic inside the spring were broken, I was able to *carefully* pry the plastic piece out of the track and remove the operator. Obviously, this method requires you to have purchased a new nylon friction pad.

I'm thinking of buying a couple of extra window operators and a bag of those friction pads for the future.

By the way, it looks like if you want to replace the window operator mounting screws, you'll need Type 'B' #8 - 3/8" screws. My hardware store didn't have them but they did have a Type 'A' screw where I could test the threads.

I will be done with the windows once I install the window operators on the rear bathroom window and cut a new screen frame for it.

I also built two screen frames: one for the small window by the door and another for the window behind the sink. I used aluminum screening and it looks really good. However, it made the old nylon screens on the rest of the windows look really bad! I'm going to have to replace a bunch of screening soon.

Next up:

1. Replace window locks on storage doors (new matching locksets on order)

2. Go through the electrical system and planning out where my solar charge controller, batteries and parts will go.

- Swamperdog
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	window_operator1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	370095   Click image for larger version

Name:	window_operator2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	370096  

Old 06-12-2020, 07:50 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Overhauling these old windows and their operators is quite a chore. The 66 had those goofy crank out windows which work good (although slow) when new but add some dirt and rust and they get sticky.

Thanks for the update on the windows. It will likely be helpful to others down the road.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:22 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Middle , Georgia
Thanks David. Well, I looked closer at that rear window and it looks like I saved the best for last! Argh. I took some pictures. It looks like someone had trouble removing the old window operators and tore up the aluminum frame on the right side.

I think I'm going to try to fashion a custom clip that slides over the bottom screw hole that provides something for the threads to hold onto. Also, on the left side it looks like part of the top of the operator and screw are still in there. Hopefully, that was just because they didn't figure out the clutch head pattern.

At least the window is there and closes sealed. I'll make an effort on it this week but may just keep it closed now that I have all of the rest of the windows working and with screens.

-Swamperdog
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AS_rear_window2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	370238   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS_rear_window1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	370239  

Old 06-13-2020, 07:38 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Middle , Georgia
I forgot to post some pics of all of the windows open now. It is so much cooler in there with all of the cross-ventilation and both new roof vents working! (it was 86*F outside and I was able to lie down and read a book on the back gaucho.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AS_outside1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	370241   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS_outside2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	370242  

Name:	AS_outside3.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	370243  
Old 06-14-2020, 01:16 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Pretty amazing how cool the interior will be with those large windows open, roof vents open and parked in the shade. An endless breeze fan helps also.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote