Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #1

1966 24' Tradewind
Western , Washington
New to us '66 Tradewind

So we have always liked airstreams and thought eventually we would get one! Today we brought it home. It's fairly clean and all there. There is only one non original window, the water heater is not original and it's missing the dinette. Other than that is all there. We're going to clean her up and get her on the road this summer for some close camping trips with the little peoples.

Haven't really decided on what all we'll end up doing but going to try and keep it as stock as possible.

We also got the original owners manual along with all the original manuals for all the appliances and a nice letter from the sales manager congratulating the original owners.

We'll try and keep this thread updated with anything exciting we do!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-64563017.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	682.0 KB
ID:	186052   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1003194073.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	474.8 KB
ID:	186053  

Name:	image-443941132.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	465.9 KB
ID:	186054   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2763503331.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	390.0 KB
ID:	186055  

Name:	image-2151739888.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	459.1 KB
ID:	186056   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1507431567.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	390.0 KB
ID:	186057  

Name:	image-2514237283.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	459.4 KB
ID:	186059  
gringocl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
Congratulations!!! I love Tradewinds.... They are the perfect size!
Old 05-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Welcome to the Forum and the world of Vintage Airstreams.
Your Tradewind Double looks to be in very good condition. Nice Find.
Since you're planning on keeping the old girl stock check out the Vintage Airstream Photo Archives. Lots of good info.
http://vintageairstream.com/photo-ar...-tradewind-24/
You said the dinnette is missing. I assume you mean the fold out table and couch (sometimes refered to as the Gaucho). I don't think they came with a true dinnette except possibly as an option.

Congratualtions and Good Luck with your new Airstream.
Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Welcome to the forums and all things Airstream. Hope that you are in for a long fun ride.

I have a 66 Tradewind that has been well cared for the same way that yours appears to have been. You are very lucky to find one in such good shape. Mine is also a double with a front goucho and the pull out table.

Your trailer looks very original and even appears to have the original toilet lid cover and the original floor tile. I believe the tile may be vinyl asbestoes, so wear a mask when removing them in the event you decide to do this.

Mine is mostly stock, but I have made some improvements to it, and plan to make some more. You can see the improvements I have made if you look at the Tradewind section 1960-69 and go down about 6 threads or so (Dan's 66 Tradewind Improvements). Good luck and holler if you need help or want to bounce anything off me (434-401-4060).

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #5
Full Time Alumaloafer

1966 24' Tradewind
Livingston , Texas
Congratulations on finding a Tradewind in such great shape!

My wife and I also have a 1966, though not in the condition yours is in. Ours was used as a hunting/fishing shack for many years before we towed it home, and was missing many original parts and features.

The AirForums community has been exceedingly friendly and helpful as we have attempted to put our trailer back together again. Please do not hesitate to post any questions you may have. Also, make use of the search feature, as many of the questions I had were addressed in prior discussions.

I hope you find as much enjoyment with your Airstream as my wife Terry and I have with ours.

Welcome!

Phillipians 4:13
louaxtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #6

1966 24' Tradewind
Western , Washington
Thanks everyone for the support and kind words. Yesterday we dived head first into the airstream... Went fairly well. I had originally planned on just working on some appliances after getting the reefer going with electric the other day and wanted to start troubleshooting the gas portion. However the side tracks began. Lol. We took off the side marker lights and the scare light? trying to plug some of the possible leaks. My dad had some white puttiy caulking he used to use working on school buses. It worked really nice and I still haven't figured out exactly what it is. He said they called it Monkey #$% and it used to be a 3M product.

I plugged in the shore power and checked the electrical. Everything seems to be working very well. The original univolt system is in place and very quiet. All the outlets are good and the lights that are still there work. We have one original fan that is still working noisy, because the housing is a little loose but still turns on and runs strong. The funny thing is that fan vent cover is after market white plastic and broken. The rear fan has been removed but looks like it has the original cover. There are few lights missing but should be a good reason to upgrade to some LEDs.

After that, I made the noobie mistake of just hooking up the water instead of testing with air. What a mess. There are quite a few leaks, which is disappointing but very fixable. Just going to need more time and money spent there!!! I pulled the hot water heater so I could starting working on it also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nugler View Post
You said the dinnette is missing. I assume you mean the fold out table and couch (sometimes refered to as the Gaucho). I don't think they came with a true dinnette except possibly as an option.
Tom, you're right the guacho is missing. I don't know how funcional that will be for our family. So i think we'll make a dinnette that will fold into a double/queen bed. I'm still checking out different designs but have asked my brother to help. He is a much better carpenter than I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
You can see the improvements I have made if you look at the Tradewind section 1960-69 and go down about 6 threads or so (Dan's 66 Tradewind Improvements). Good luck and holler if you need help or want to bounce anything off me (434-401-4060).

Dan
Dan, I've read your thread a few times now trying to soak up everything. I like a lot of the mods you've done. I will more than likely break down and call you one of these days. I know you replaced all of your copper with Pex and after checking the plumbing yesterday, I think we're leaning towards just replacing it all so we can camp with out worrying about water leaks in the middle of the night... Do you remember how long it took you to do this and how much $$ it cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by louaxtjr View Post
The AirForums community has been exceedingly friendly and helpful as we have attempted to put our trailer back together again. Please do not hesitate to post any questions you may have. Also, make use of the search feature, as many of the questions I had were addressed in prior discussions.
Louaxtjr, I'm very excited about getting involved in the community. Before I decide to get involved in a project or buy a car I always like to check and see how vibrant and organized the online community is. It makes the experience of ownership much more enjoyable. I love the search feature on these forums and my all time favorite is just to sort each forum by views and see which posts are the most popular. There are always many nuggets to be found in the those threads. lol

Well update again after our finding today. I know will have more questions. I will try and post some pictures too. There is a strange plug on the console that have not seen before. Take care and thanks

Miles
Old 05-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Miles

Replacing the copper with Pex is not too difficult. As with other repairs it helps if you are handy and have done some plumbing work and actually worked with Pex or Quest.

I would definitely recommend replacing the copper with Pex and I would use the crimp fittings.

It took about 2-3 hours of work but this could be a lot longer if you run into problems. Cost was less than $100 for Pex pipe and fittings. The only complicated part is in the rear where there are a lot of fittings used. You need to make up small assemblies outside where you have room to crimp the fittings and then tie these assemblies into the rest of the Pex system. When you get ready to do this, call me and we will talk about it and I will take pictures of my work so you can see how I did it.

The nice thing is that once it is finished you will have a new Pex plumbing system, just like a new 65K Airstream.

Dan
Old 10-03-2013, 05:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I'm wondering how your summer went with your 66 Trade Wind. It appears you have a good one. Thank you for posting your pictures. Have you started the plumbing upgrade? I have that job to do on my 66.
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I recycled the copper from my 66 and got almost all the cost of the PEX and the tool
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #10

1966 24' Tradewind
Western , Washington
We had a super busy summer. I got the plumbing out and then life happened!!! So we did use the trailer as a spare bedroom for some family this summer but I haven't finished any improvements Hopefully life will unhappen in the near future and we can start plugging away on it...
Old 10-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Life does happen, and when you are ready the Airstream will be there for you.

Sometimes I run into a roadblock that stumps me and I just take my time to work through it. I don't want to make any more mistakes and just want to make sure that I am doing everything the best way possible. My road block now is refinishing the vanity top with Por Whitecoat. The first coat ran badly. I am going to sand it down and try to spray the next coat.

What year is your Tradewind? I noticed in your first post that it was a 66, but your avatar refers to it as a 64. The windows look curved and one of the photos shows the Phillips window hardware, both indicating a 66.

Yours and dbj216's both appear to be in amazing original condition, both with even the original tile floors. What a great find!

Dan
Old 10-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Your Trade Wind does seem to be in good original condition. Yours seems to be missing the front gaucho. Our is missing all the gas appliances. The PO was an electrician and had no use for smelly propane or CO byproducts. He wanted an all electric camper. So I have the expensive stuff to buy and install. A dinette in front would be handier than the gaucho and fold out table. Take a look at the Trade Wind renovated by the service department at Jackson Center. It is advertised on the vintage airstream website. I saw this trailer last year while on tour at Jackson Center. It is fabulous. Maybe the ultimate renovation for a 66 Trade Wind. But it ain't original.

1966 Airstream Trade Wind For Sale | Vintage Airstream Classifieds

David

PS: the hyper link didn't work for me. Back to school.
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote