Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2021, 07:08 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
We have had good luck with our Zip Dee on the 86 Limited. Still going strong. A new Care Free would likely be okay too. Replacing the fabric on an old awning mechanism may be regrettable later on.

I like spending other people's money.

David
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

See my 1969 Globetrotter 21' Renovation Project:
In Knowledge Base

See my 1966 Trade Wind 24' Reno Project:
In Knowledge Base

See my 1975 Overlander 27' Improvement Journal:
In Knowledge Base

See our 1976 Sovereign 31' Renovation Project:
In Knowledge Base
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:16 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
If you decide to get just fabric try Sailrite for fabric pricing on Sunbrella.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:30 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimber View Post
So, while the weather is nice I wanted to pull out the awning to see what shape it was in. To my surprise, the arms and roller were to still functional. Not so much the vinyl fabric. I would like to get this fixed but there are several issues.

First, I believe the awning itself is from 1974. Carefree. I reached out to the folks at Carefree Colorado and they were very helpful but also shared they no longer can manufacture parts for this particular model, which they believe is a deluxe. They said they could supply vinyl fabric for about 450 but if something broke (ie spring) it would be useless. They no longer manufacture arms for the airstream and the fabric wouldn't work with zip dee. I was also leaning towards acrylic but then again, without a cover to protect the material, it would get damaged in no time. If they can fit a product (alumuguard or something like that) it would cost 1100 for the fabric and cover. Once again, if something breaks, they can't replace parts making all these effort and money, a waste.

The next option would be a zip dee awning set, with fabric ,for 1300 from inland rv. Seems to make sense to just buy a new one...but, it ain't broke...yet. 1300 is a little hurtful on the pocket since I had the thought I could just replace the fabric for +400.

I think I will plan on taking the arms and roller off, since it has to happen regardless to change the fabric. If it holds up during disassembly, I will clean it up and evaluate my options. If it breaks, there's my answer. Any experience pearls would be appreciated!

Thanks for the information about Carefree Awnings. I had no idea that parts were no longer available for their awnings for Airstreams. Our awning fabric was new when we bought our Tradewind 12 years ago and has held up reasonably well. Looks like we will need to plan on a new Zip Dee awning in the future.

I called Zip Dee today to be clear on the price of an awning as the $1,300 estimate from Inland RV seemed low. The price is actually $1,400 for the awning plus $700 for the hardware plus about $250 for shipping. Yikes! They do make a great product though and you can get parts for them and a live person does answer the phone when you call them. Based on some of the stuff I have read on the internet lately I certainly wouldn’t order an awning from them.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:01 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
Quote:
So, while the weather is nice I wanted to pull out the awning to see what shape it was in. To my surprise, the arms and roller were to still functional. Not so much the vinyl fabric. I would like to get this fixed but there are several issues.

First, I believe the awning itself is from 1974. Carefree. I reached out to the folks at Carefree Colorado and they were very helpful but also shared they no longer can manufacture parts for this particular model, which they believe is a deluxe. They said they could supply vinyl fabric for about 450 but if something broke (ie spring) it would be useless. They no longer manufacture arms for the airstream and the fabric wouldn't work with zip dee. I was also leaning towards acrylic but then again, without a cover to protect the material, it would get damaged in no time. If they can fit a product (alumuguard or something like that) it would cost 1100 for the fabric and cover. Once again, if something breaks, they can't replace parts making all these effort and money, a waste.

The next option would be a zip dee awning set, with fabric ,for 1300 from inland rv. Seems to make sense to just buy a new one...but, it ain't broke...yet. 1300 is a little hurtful on the pocket since I had the thought I could just replace the fabric for +400.

I think I will plan on taking the arms and roller off, since it has to happen regardless to change the fabric. If it holds up during disassembly, I will clean it up and evaluate my options. If it breaks, there's my answer. Any experience pearls would be appreciated!
I have wondered who the manufacturer of the awning on my 72 was. I think you solved that for me.

My thought on the awning, is if it worked for the last 50 years, with some maintenance it has a good chance to last another 50. If there is a failure, a good DIYer could probably come up with a functional repair.

Keep us posted.
Old 04-09-2021, 01:44 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Mount Holly , NC
Bummer about inland RV pricing...I saw the reviews as well and thought if it's too good to be true...I guess this also may apply to the replacement axles they have on their website for +900/piece. In the meantime, I'll work with what I have. Thanks for the thorough follow up!
Jimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:03 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
Quote:
Bummer about inland RV pricing...I saw the reviews as well and thought if it's too good to be true...I guess this also may apply to the replacement axles they have on their website for +900/piece. In the meantime, I'll work with what I have. Thanks for the thorough follow up!
I paid less than that through Collin. If you know the correct dimensions you could probably do it for about half the inland price ordering direct from dexter.
Peter417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:57 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
I'll second the Dexter suggestion. Just find a trailer supply business in your area that builds/services construction or horse trailers and they will likely be a Dexter dealer.
Slats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:14 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter417 View Post
I paid less than that through Collin. If you know the correct dimensions you could probably do it for about half the inland price ordering direct from dexter.

The problem with ordering through a Dexter dealer is that they are probably not familiar with Airstreams. If you order axles through Collin you will get the correct axles that fit your Airstream with the shock absorber mounts for a very fair price.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:42 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
Williston , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
If you order axles through Collin you will get the correct axles that fit your Airstream with the shock absorber mounts for a very fair price.
Dan
+1 on Colin. Ordered through him on both of my trailers.- Mark
Old 04-11-2021, 01:47 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
You guys are right. Just because my experience with my axles did not meet my expectations is no reason, or at least not reason enough, for me to tell others to find a Dexter dealer. An objective take on matters is always better than a subjective one. So I stand corrected. I'm no fan of crow, but I hear if you baste it with a little humility it tastes just fine.
Slats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:12 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
I remember going to my nearby Dexter axle dealer with the two old Overlander axles in the back of my pickup. I told the parts guy I wanted new ones just like these. His comment was "never seen an axle like that before. It was a 3000 pound rated axle with 12" drums and corresponding swing arms. He gave me a Dexter custom axle order form and said fill it out carefully, as there is no returns on custom axles unless Dexter built it wrong. One of the first items requested was "hub to hub" dimension. The axles are curved, the drums are not square to the ground, getting that measurement right is very important and rather difficult. You do want your tries to fit in the wheel wells, right? Shock mounts is another important set of dimensions.

Getting the Dexter order form right, and knowing Airstream specifications is very important seems to me. That's why a Colin Hyde or one of the others (we use Luke Bernander here in Colorado) is important. They fill out the order form, and take responsibility if they goof it up.

David
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

See my 1969 Globetrotter 21' Renovation Project:
In Knowledge Base

See my 1966 Trade Wind 24' Reno Project:
In Knowledge Base

See my 1975 Overlander 27' Improvement Journal:
In Knowledge Base

See our 1976 Sovereign 31' Renovation Project:
In Knowledge Base
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote