Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2019, 01:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Hudsonville , Michigan
In need of new tires....

I have a 1968 Tradewind that I am getting ready to replace my Carlisle 7.00 - 15 LT bias ply tires, D rating. The trailer weighs about 4500 pounds. I was originally going to put new bias ply tires on the trailer, then I went to the tire store and the guy there said I really should be putting radials on the trailer. Said the radials will make the trailer pull better. I did some research and found the American Classic Radials, that have the look of the old school bias ply tire. The American Classic Radials definitely come at a price - $250 each.
But I want that old school look.
I then called a local dealer that restores trailers and he told me if a radial blows out it will do way more damage to a trailer than if a bias ply blows. So for that reason he recommends bias ply for the vintage trailers. He did also remind to never put a car tire on a trailer as the construction of a trailer tire is different than a car tire.
I defintely need some input.
Bias ply vs radial?
Tire brands?
Thanks for the help.
Redteddy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:33 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Armstrong , British Columbia
I am a new owner of a 1959 Tradewind, and replacing the decades old bias ply was my first order of business as I had a 7-800 mile journey home. I purchased a set of ST radials (E load rating) and they were great. The only problem I encountered was getting the tires inside the wheelwell, as the radials are quite abit wider than bias ply. For this reason I wont be using them as roadside tire changes would be very difficult. I was actually planning on going with an LT commercial type tire that was recommended by a member on another thread.
https://www.yokohamatruck.com/tires/ry215
The tire looks surprisingly similar to the 70’s Kelly Springfield bias plies that were on it, and has the narrow width to fit nicely inside the wheelwell.
With regards to bias ply, I cannot speak from any experience, but online reviews seemed to be quite balanced on the issue. I think they are really quite adequate unless you plan to do some longer trips.
Mark Krahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redteddy76 View Post
I have a 1968 Tradewind that I am getting ready to replace my Carlisle 7.00 - 15 LT bias ply tires, D rating. The trailer weighs about 4500 pounds. I was originally going to put new bias ply tires on the trailer, then I went to the tire store and the guy there said I really should be putting radials on the trailer. Said the radials will make the trailer pull better. I did some research and found the American Classic Radials, that have the look of the old school bias ply tire. The American Classic Radials definitely come at a price - $250 each.
But I want that old school look.
I then called a local dealer that restores trailers and he told me if a radial blows out it will do way more damage to a trailer than if a bias ply blows. So for that reason he recommends bias ply for the vintage trailers. He did also remind to never put a car tire on a trailer as the construction of a trailer tire is different than a car tire.
I defintely need some input.
Bias ply vs radial?
Tire brands?
Thanks for the help.

If you want the old school look then your tire criteria are a bit different than mine. I have a 66 Tradewind and whether I am buying tires for it or a 2019 Airstream, I would select the same tires- Goodyear Endurance. I purchased these for my Tradewind last year and they are working out just fine. These are radial trailer tires.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 04:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Safety or appearance. A choice.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:33 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Armstrong , British Columbia
Please let us know which way you go. I do think there are enough choices out there that you dont have to compromise. I had radials on my tradewind and it is almost impossible to get them into the wheelwell because of the width of them.
Mark Krahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
I'm no tire expert, so you can take my anecdote for what it is worth, but I have faced the same dilemma. After seeing a bunch of posts touting a certain Michelin radial tire, I went to a local tire shop. It is a local family-owned business that has been around for forty years. When the guy at the counter asked me what I was looking for, I told him I was rebuilding an old Airstream and needed some tires. I asked him if he carried the radial tire I had seen touted on the forum. In a matter-of-fact way he said he did, then asked me why I wanted to put a pickup truck tire on a trailer. I told him I didn't know, other than that it had been recommended and, being a man of no particular moral fiber, I was following the crowd. He then gave me a short lesson on why he would prefer not to sell me what I wanted, as opposed to what I needed. As I recall, his main point was that bias ply trailer tires were not as bouncy as radial tires and their stiffer sidewalls made the trailer less prone to sway. Then he sold me four bias ply tires, which were about one-half the price of the radials. Unless the profit margin is astronomically higher on bias ply tires, I appreciated the fact that he could have made more money selling me the more expensive tires, but chose to help me, rather than his bottom line.
Just my two cents.
Slats is offline   Reply With Quote