Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2010, 12:52 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
melbourne , Australia
Smile help to identify - Tradewind?

Hello All,

New to these forums, and i am keen please for some help.

I have a new trailer - just purchased - i am in australia and have not seen the unit yet. will be a special restoration project for me.

I do need help though trying to identify the model. What I can tell, the plate on the side of the caravan DOES NOT match what i know think the trailer to be. Any feedback is of great help.

I think it is a 1960 model tradewind - made in nov 1959, and 24". The images though make it look like a 22 foot safari?

Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-035S.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	110511

Name:	MVC-038S.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	110512

Name:	DSC05715.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	110513

Name:	MVC-040S.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	110514
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:46 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
OO , OO
Send a message via Skype™ to cruiser54
Look here:Vintage Airstream Photo Archives
Greetings from Switzerland
Werner
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Looks like a 24' Tradewind to me . . . and I think you're right, it's a 1960 model (built in 59), California Made.

If that California Lic. Plate makes it to Australia AND you're not going to use it for anything, I (and probably a few others) would be interested in buying it / bidding on it / giving an arm or leg for it . . .

Send pictures when it makes it over - good luck with your project.
MarkR

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
The Grass Capital of the World , Oregon
beauty

Welcome to the forums! Congratulations on your Tradewind!

I can impart what I've learned about the serial number 24TS-0391. 24T means 24' Tradewind. I believe S is your model type, but not clear which one S is. There were two factories, Ohio and California, and 0391 means yours was the 391st to roll out of the CA factory.

It's a 1960 model since is was made after the summer of 1959, can't remember which month separates the years. Someone will clear the rest up for you I'm sure.

Where is it now? Is it in Australia or will it set sail for you?
SpaceEgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:51 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
melbourne , Australia
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceEgg View Post
Welcome to the forums! Congratulations on your Tradewind!

I can impart what I've learned about the serial number 24TS-0391. 24T means 24' Tradewind. I believe S is your model type, but not clear which one S is. There were two factories, Ohio and California, and 0391 means yours was the 391st to roll out of the CA factory.

It's a 1960 model since is was made after the summer of 1959, can't remember which month separates the years. Someone will clear the rest up for you I'm sure.

Where is it now? Is it in Australia or will it set sail for you?

Thanks for the feedback,

it will set sail for Australia in November, I intend to visit her (or him - is there a convention?) - before she leaves.

There is a few things i would like to do stateside before then.

She will be polished before she leaves.

feedback appreciated. The only thing that I am unsure about was the fact that there is no window next to the door which was typical on the 24' - and also that there is only one axle.

Cheers

owen
Old 09-12-2010, 03:54 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
melbourne , Australia
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
Looks like a 24' Tradewind to me . . . and I think you're right, it's a 1960 model (built in 59), California Made.

If that California Lic. Plate makes it to Australia AND you're not going to use it for anything, I (and probably a few others) would be interested in buying it / bidding on it / giving an arm or leg for it . . .

Send pictures when it makes it over - good luck with your project.
MarkR
Mark,

Feedback appreciated. The only thing that I am unsure about was the fact that there is no window next to the door which was typical on the 24' - and also that there is only one axle.

The licence plate - not sure at this stage - are they that rare? I know that the person i bought it off thought it was a good addition. Also, are bunks rare?

no need for an arm and a leg - lets talk

cheers

owen

owen@ideen.com.au
Old 09-12-2010, 06:01 AM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The window next to the door was a twin beds vs double bed thing on the early Trade Wind. The door is moved forward on the twin beds model and has no window. This might have been a feature unique to the California versions only. The single axle was standard and the double was an option.

If you look at the various pictures here: 60Tradewind
You will see some with the window and some without, some with single axle and some with double.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Hate to disagree with you Richard, but I think the window/no window thing depended more on the dinette vs gaucho option.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:03 AM   #9
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
You are most likely correct, the early TWs I have seen without the window did have dinettes. Thanks for the correction...

The bottom line is that trailer in question is a Trade Wind even if it does not have the window.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Owen,
In the 50's and 60's California License Plates were Black w/Yellow Lettering (then they were blue and yellow, currently they are white and blue). If you have a 60's Trailer w/ a black and yellow plate then it most likely means it's the original plate - And it makes it look even more vintage.

Apparantly there is a process at the dept. of motor vehicles that allows you to bring in an old vintage plate and they'll basically "re-issue" it to you for current use. I think you can do a search on ebay and see that there is a market for them. Yours appears to be a "Trailer Only" plate from looking at the sequence of numbers. You should ask and get market value for it, and I'd be happy to purchase directly OR just be informed that you're putting it up for sale/auction.

Sorry you have to wait all the way until November to receive your trailer.
MarkR

Old 09-13-2010, 05:34 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
melbourne , Australia
Smile thanks for help

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
The window next to the door was a twin beds vs double bed thing on the early Trade Wind. The door is moved forward on the twin beds model and has no window. This might have been a feature unique to the California versions only. The single axle was standard and the double was an option.

If you look at the various pictures here: 60Tradewind
You will see some with the window and some without, some with single axle and some with double.
Thanks Richard, yes I found (after much searching) a 1960 brochure which seemed to demonstrate that - your information is greatly helpful!

I must say, i iam very very happy that i know what i have!

Proudly tradewind!
Old 09-16-2010, 12:13 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Langley , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Hate to disagree with you Richard, but I think the window/no window thing depended more on the dinette vs gaucho option.
I would agree. This looks like the double bed version very similar to mine, which is a California twin bed model, 12/60 production, with dinette up front.
CDMDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:44 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
melbourne , Australia
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMDB View Post
I would agree. This looks like the double bed version very similar to mine, which is a California twin bed model, 12/60 production, with dinette up front.
Thanks - yes looks great -I understand that the land yacht version had factory extras?

Really proud to be part of the airstream club now - and that there are so many people willing to offer advice

My next task is to source spare parts!

Take care

Owen
Old 09-17-2010, 08:18 AM   #14
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Welcome to the forums Owen and also welcome to early TradeWind ownership. The TradeWind's are just the right size. You've gotten good advice so far. The absence of windows in front of the door signify a dinette instead of a couch. I believe the TS in your serial number signifies it is a Twin bed arrangement with bunks. Can you post some interior pictures? I'll be sure to add you to the Early TradeWind Registry of been working on for a number of years.

The Land Yacht option did include additional appointments above the standard model. Items like 12 volt battery, 12 volt lighting, a compressor for the fresh water, etc. I have a post on here somewhere that outlines all of the differences between standard, Land Yacht and International versions. I'll see if I can find it. What do you need for spare parts? Post your list and we'll see what we can do.

I'll bet November sure seems like a long ways off.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
melbourne , Australia
Hi brad

Thanks mate for the notes

Yes - I am also very busy here at moment - I am an architect and that means I have no time to savor the wait either!

Will need to make a list as you say - will post interior shots - but yes - it is a twin configuration with bunks - and dinette -

I know it needs new door latch - but need to ask the current owner for some more detailed photos

Lovely trailer you have as well!

Proudly Tradewind!

Owen
Old 11-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #16
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Just going through the TradeWind section and ran across this thread. Any new updates Owen? Sure hope your TW made it in one piece.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #17

1960 24' Tradewind
bonne Terre , Missouri
1960 Tradewind 24TS0392

Hello, new to the forum. Just purchsased a 1960 Tradewind and these conversations are very helpful. I am in need of a front window and a manual or copy of a manual. Kind of hard to restore with no photos or specs. would love to hear any information.

Christy
streamingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
Congratulations! if you have a 1960 Tradewind there are no manuals available! Check out thevap.com. Click on the ambassador link for his 1960 restoration! Plus there are many many podcasts to help you restore your airstream. Good luck! You can click on our blog as well since we are in the process of restoring ours!!
Old 05-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamingit View Post
Hello, new to the forum. Just purchsased a 1960 Tradewind and these conversations are very helpful. I am in need of a front window and a manual or copy of a manual. Kind of hard to restore with no photos or specs. would love to hear any information.

Christy
Here's a ton of photos for reference:
1960 TradeWind 24' - Vintage Airstream

Tags
1960, identification, vin