Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2017, 12:31 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Blairstown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic_13 View Post
Wayne - I have two of these 1968 control panels I don't plan to use. If you find you are in need of any parts to fix yours let me know. Happy to help. Brian
Thanks for the offer Brian. This probably won't happen for a few months.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:38 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Blairstown , New Jersey
Work has been slow since school began. I can't believe they expect me to work as much as I do. Here are some pictures of the finished frame following sandblasting and welding. I used POR15 on everything, then POR topcoat around the wheel wells where sun might get to it, and POR Sterling Silver for the hitch, step, and bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis Finished 1.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	298768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis Finished 2.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	378.6 KB
ID:	298769  

Name:	Chassis Finished 3.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	298770  
Old 11-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Gee, a brand new 67 Trade Wind frame. And with proper top coating to boot. That frame will last until 2100. Very nice job.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:01 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1968 26' Overlander
Detroit , Michigan
Agree with David. Nice work!
Atomic_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:59 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Full Monty in Warren County--'67 Trade Wind

Beautiful work on the frame Wayne. It is better than new because of the por15 protection.

Of course if that were my frame I would need to cut the skids off (1.5” frame extensions), because I wouldn’t need them.

BTW my wife is a teacher also. She works easily 65 hours per week and they still want more!

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:28 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Blairstown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Of course if that were my frame I would need to cut the skids off (1.5” frame extensions), because I wouldn’t need them
I thought of cutting them off when I read what you've done to your trailer. I plan to re-use the black tank and screw it to the floor. The problem is that I read your thread after the sandblasting and most of the painting. If the skids get in the way of the gray tank and black tank waste valves, they'll be gone.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:11 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
In 1975 Airstream used the 2" skid channels as extra room for the holding tanks. The frame channel is 5" and the skid channels are 2" giving room for a 7" high tank. The belly pan is attached to the skid channels. See photo.

TouringDan is a boondocker and doesn't need big holding tanks. I like the extra capacity and don't mind losing 2" clearance at the rear of the trailer. I measured the departure angle on the Overlander at 10 degrees from the rear tire contact patch to the rear bumper. I've used those skids exiting a rather steep entrance to a fuel station.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1710 Waste Tank Hinged Frames (Small).JPG
Views:	70
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	298938  
Old 12-13-2017, 08:02 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Blairstown , New Jersey
One of the major stumbling blocks to further work on my chassis and floor are the gray tanks. I ordered two tanks from Inca Plastics that would fit the 4" high spaces in the frame. With the drains from the tanks going back through the ovals in the cross-members, as much as a quarter of the 16 gallon tanks would be trapped. In order to fully drain the tanks, I specified that fittings in the bottom of the tanks be placed 6" from the rear. The problem is that the forward tank, meant to connect to the kitchen sink, had a fitting directly over the front axle. There would be no way to put a plug in it and have access as well. Not wanting to absorb the cost of a new tank or the shipping cost from NJ to CA, I began to hunt for a local source to spin weld a new fitting. I could not find anyone east of Ohio. I did find a small company in Allentown, PA, who would stick weld a fitting on.

Stick welding polyethylene uses hot air, about 350C, and a flexible stick of polyethylene stock about 1/8" in diameter. The man doing the work maintains it is a stronger bond than spin welding since one cannot be sure of the weld under the fitting--you can only see where the edges have melted.

Now if it will only warm up so I can work in the hangar.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stick Welded Fitting.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	300864  
Old 12-13-2017, 11:01 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eugene , OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmuw View Post
... The man doing the work maintains it is a stronger bond than spin welding since one cannot be sure of the weld under the fitting -- you can only see where the edges have melted.
Now if it will only warm up so I can work in the hangar.
Good luck with the weather there.
If you were in or near Illinois I'm sure my brother would help out. He's been a machinist since high school and can make or fix anything. Better luck next time. haha
KellyAndersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:19 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi rasmuw: I wish we had some of the cold and snow you folks are getting. It's been too warm and too dry around Colorado for my liking.

I may have trouble draining all the water out of my gray tank due to the rather level run of the drain pipe through the frame. I figure I can jack the trailer up in front and help the tank drain completely.

I wonder if a brass bulkhead fitting with a petcock valve might work. We used them in fuel tanks to drain the tank. They sandwich seal the wall thickness of the tank.

David
Old 12-14-2017, 08:59 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Blairstown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
I may have trouble draining all the water out of my gray tank due to the rather level run of the drain pipe through the frame. I figure I can jack the trailer up in front and help the tank drain completely.
David,

At campgrounds, I will jack the trailer up as you suggest. The drain plugs will be there for cleaning and winterizing.

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2017, 05:46 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
As you know polyethylene is tough and flexible. I just pour a quart or so of RV antifreeze in both the gray and black as well as the fresh tank and call it good. And for cleaning, well I'm not much of a tank cleaner. Out of sight, out of mind as they say.

David
Old 01-10-2018, 11:13 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Blairstown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic_13 View Post
Perhaps you've already noted this, but the fender wells on my trailer protruded ~1/2 beyond the edge of my plywood allowing it to be flush with the exterior skin.
I was about to write a post asking about the overhang of the fender wells when I read back through the thread to make sure I wasn't posting photos twice. It was a relief to find your post since I was getting anxious after trial fitting the new wells and floor pieces. I am confident the plywood I cut was a duplicate of the original, and it overhangs the outriggers. The fender wells overhang even more, so I reattached the old wells. The streetside overhangs the outrigger by 9/16", while the curbside only overhangs by 5/16". I'm not sure why it isn't the same.

Part of my anxiety is not knowing the tolerances from the factory. For example, while installing gray tanks, I've learned the cross-pieces are not welded perpendicular to the long C-channels running from front to back. I was concerned about the shell connecting properly to the fender wells, but you have given me renewed confidence that I'm on the right path. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Street Plywood Overhang.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	302228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Street Fender Overhang.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	302229  

Name:	Curb Fender Overhang.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	378.3 KB
ID:	302230  
Old 06-11-2018, 11:14 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Blairstown , New Jersey
My school year has ended, allowing me some time to finish installing the subfloor. There was enough of the original floor for me to figure out where the elevator bolts were inserted, except for the last four feet under the bath. A previous owner did some repairs to the bath floor so that most of the center of the floor was replaced. I am assuming that there were six elevator bolts holding the plywood to the intermediate cross-piece and outriggers two feet back from the seam formed with the piece forward of this last section. My questions: Were there bolts holding the floor to the two longitudinal (front to back) C-shaped chassis members? (I have a hole on each side.) Should there be some insulation between the plywood and the frame at the back edge of this last piece of plywood? This is where a strip of aluminum is attached that connects the exterior slinky storage to under the C-channel of the rear of the shell. I am using foam sill sealer rather than the original fiberglass.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:52 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi Wayne, Hope your teaching year went well, and now an Airstream break for a while. I've been plugging away on my Overlander, but summer time activities slow me down. No matter, I have no deadlines.

My old 66, and my current 75, have elevator bolts between subfloor and longitudinal frame rails. Sometimes I think the Airstream assemblers just installed the bolts like a carpenter drives nails in a framing job. They were not noticeably on a particular pattern. And the elevator bolts were not necessarily installed at the intersection of the frame rail and the crossmember. Let's see what some others have to say.

I believe Airstream would roll out the fiberglass insulation on the bottom of the subfloor, and then install the subfloor on the frame. Easy peasy. I have found cases where the insulation is wet and causing rust on crossmembers and the frame rails themselves. I would not consider it important to have insulation between the C channel and the dreaded aluminum "cover plate" at the rear of the trailer. In fact, I am not re-installing this aluminum cover plate on my Overlander. Rain water flows down the back of the body, collected on this cover plate and then finds its way into my subfloor and rots it out. I plan on letting the rain water run into my bumper storage area and then I will let it drain to the ground. That said, there is no easy fix except a good caulk job between the body C channel and the rear frame members.

Maybe the photo shows my planned "drain gap" at the rear bumper storage area.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1802 Bumper Gap 2 (Small).JPG
Views:	75
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	313958  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
Old 08-04-2018, 06:29 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Blairstown , New Jersey
The plywood floor has been installed and the vinyl has been laid. I'm sorry for not getting a complete picture of the plywood prior to gluing down the vinyl. If all goes well and I can find enough hands to hold the lower skins that wrap underneath the chassis, the shell will have a chassis underneath it tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Floor.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	318886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vinyl Floor.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	390.8 KB
ID:	318887  

Old 08-04-2018, 06:44 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
If you can’t find enough hands for the belly pan, use ratchet straps. Leave enough slack to adjust the aluminum. Good luck, Bubba
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:58 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Blairstown , New Jersey
The parts I need to have held when the chassis goes underneath the shell are the parts of the side walls that extend below floor level and eventually get riveted to the outriggers. There are five total but I think one person can hold the two that flank the entry door.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:11 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi Wayne: Getting ready for the "wedding" day when the body meets the subfloor and frame again. Married.

I believe the parts you need held out are called belly wraps. Airstream simply extended the exterior skins below the rub rail and wrapped them around the outriggers. Many folks like this design as there is one less seam to leak. The 69 and newer bodies have a separate wrap with a seam at the rub rail.

So you need the wraps held away enough so they don't get caught on the subfloor when lowering the body. What if you gently, precisely lowered the body just to the point of contact and then walked around and pulled the wraps outside the subfloor. Or maybe there are some scrap pieces of aluminum that could be taped to the subfloor and used as guides for the wraps and removed when the body wraps are below the subfloor. Lowering the body on the subfloor is a challenge in a one man operation. I bet you will figure something out.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
Old 08-06-2018, 01:27 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
What David said is exactly what I did with mine. Worked like a charm. The key was doing it ever so gradually.
Slats is offline   Reply With Quote