Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
Ledbehind

2018 16' Sport
Great Falls , Virginia
external light '61 Tradewind

Does anyone know or have or know where I might find the outside light that plugs in and screws on to the curbside outlet on my 61 international? I havn't seen a picture but was told that is what the outlet is for. Just an update for anyone besides me who may care: Pulled the furnace and water heater. They came out easy enough and what I found helps me rationalize the time and expense of replacement. The furnace had a huge crack across the back & I would have had a fire if I had even attempted to light it and mice had made a thick and wonderful bed in the ducting between the fan and burner. The h20 heater came out ok and as soon as it was placed on the ground it self destructed.

Next is the fantastic fan install, inverter install - any suggestions on what I might use? - bearings & brakes.

- This is getting as involved as the boat - a hole in the driveway into which you throw money .

Thanks,

Henry
henrydahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
external light 61 tradewind

Greetings Henry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrydahm
Does anyone know or have or know where I might find the outside light that plugs in and screws on to the curbside outlet on my 61 international? I havn't seen a picture but was told that is what the outlet is for.
Thanks,

Henry
The patio light was an option/accessory sold through the Wally Byam Store or the dealer's accessory/parts department. It is, like a number of other parts, not unique to Airstream -- the same part could be found on many competetive makes as well over a span of more than a decade -- in fact my family's '69 SunWay truck camper had the same light fixture as my '64 Overlander. I haven't run across any current reproductions, but they do turn up on occassion at flea markets or on E-Bay.

The photo below is a close-up of the patio light as it is installed on my '64 Overlander:

The photo below gives a better perspective of the location of the accessory:

The photo below is of the outlet when the fixture is packed away in the coach for travel:

Evidently these patio lamps were not among the most popular of accessories, but I have hear of several being unearthed over the past three years.

Good luck with your search for this useful accessory!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Hmm...I think I saw one of those at an old junque shoppe. I'll see if they have more than one.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:32 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
- This is getting as involved as the boat - a hole in the driveway into which you throw money .

Henry
Henry,
That may be true...but at least it won't sink....

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64

The photo below is of the outlet when the fixture is packed away in the coach for travel:

Kevin
I wondered what that outlet was there for! My manual doesn't seem to mention it. Mine no longer has that unique type of cover though, it must have been replaced at some point with a more modern type outlet cover.

Curious - do you have a scare light to the right of your jalousie windows? Mine does, and that seems to me to be redundant to have another proch light?

A P.O. even installed another porch light very near the original scare light - (I have no idea why, trying for more holes? )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Porchlight.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	23764  
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:27 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
I wondered what that outlet was there for! My manual doesn't seem to mention it. Mine no longer has that unique type of cover though, it must have been replaced at some point with a more modern type outlet cover.

Curious - do you have a scare light to the right of your jalousie windows? Mine does, and that seems to me to be redundant to have another proch light?

A P.O. even installed another porch light very near the original scare light - (I have no idea why, trying for more holes? )
The scarre light can be controlled from inside the coach, and the porch light has to be turned on from the outside.
Those covers are still available, if you go to an electrical supply store, or even a Home Depot.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:46 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Accessory Patio Light

I don't know whether it was a unique feature that the original owners of my '64 Overlander specifically requested when they ordered the coach, an owner-modification, or a feature added to the '64s; but on my Overlander, there is a switch located to the left of the kitchen sink that controls the patio light outlet. In addition, there is a toggle-switch on the patio light fixture to allow it to be controlled from outside the coach (the interior switch must be in the "on" position for this to work, however). My Overlander also has the scare light and it has the control switch near the entry door. I know that my coach was a special order by the original owners so when there is an inconsistent feature I am never completely sure of its origin.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:43 AM   #8
Ledbehind

2018 16' Sport
Great Falls , Virginia
Scarre light & thanks

Et Al,

Thanks for the info - I'll start the search & also try to find the cover plate, mine is missing the round screw cap (I tried to find a plastic plumbing part for it without finding the right size and now I have three of the things).

As for the scarre light, the lens is cracked and crazed and probably the original and a little toggle switch inside above the jalousie window controls it with 12v juice. I've got a number of switches I can't figure out what they control but I'll bet one controls the outside outlet. The switch to the left of my sink controlls the water pump - also 12v. I have yet to find the "univolt" and don't know if the 2, 20 amp breaker box in the back "trunk" is the univolt or not. Don at Safford RV is giving the trailer a going over is tasked now with figuring that out. He seems very knowlegable about these trailers and I impressed with his work - so far he gets high marks!

Henry
Old 07-21-2006, 10:44 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
As for the scarre light, the lens is cracked and crazed and probably the original and a little toggle switch inside above the jalousie window controls it with 12v juice. Henry
The lens is available from any NAPA, costs about $5.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:45 AM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
And the light goes on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
I don't know whether it was a unique feature that the original owners of my '64 Overlander specifically requested when they ordered the coach, an owner-modification, or a feature added to the '64s; but on my Overlander, there is a switch located to the left of the kitchen sink that controls the patio light outlet.
Kevin
Kevin, you know that little light that goes on over your head when the right synapses fire in the right order? Now I know what the light switch to the left of our sink operates!
Old 07-21-2006, 04:13 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1956 26' Crusier Overlander
douglasville , Georgia
My '56 overlander has the same outlet w/o the screw-on cover.
The HD's don't have the cover so I'm still looking for one!
I'm also searching for the light that plugs into it if anyone happens upon
one.
I read on here a while back about some one who made one...."a $7.00
porch light". I've already bought the parts, but would like an
origonal, if possible.
Steve
ga501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Here's a picture of one that I got on EBAY last week. Good thing you all weren't looking last week, no one else bid.
Attached Images

1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 06:53 PM   #13
Ledbehind

2018 16' Sport
Great Falls , Virginia
new or original

I think I'll go to dulles electric and see what I can put together - If I can make a repro or improve on the look I'll take pix & publish the how-to

Henry