Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2020, 07:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Considering a 1961 TW Double & some ?s

Contemplating the purchase of a 1961 TW Double. I have typed this post three times now, apparently there are tech problems, so I will make this one short with a few questions and add to it...

1) how does a 24' single axle trailer handle on the road (our nearly-completed 17' Bambi II does very well...but 24' just seems so long for one axle)

2) Has anyone added a bunkbed over the mid-double? We still want the girls to have their own sleeping space. Or has anyone replaced the couble configuration with opposing twins? The cabinetry in the trailer we are likely headed to tow home in a week look to be in great shape and I really like the curb-side bank of wardrobes/dressers.

3) Does the Astradome cover Andy at Inland sells fit a '61? He lists its fitment as starting with 1962s.

4) We are going to tow with a 2014 Pathfinder with a 5000 lb towing rating. Thinking we will be just fine if we do not overload it.

More to come...I want to make sure this post actually takes. I am hopeful to learn from current early Trade Wind owners...
Old 10-31-2020, 08:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Door-in-Door

How hard is it to get a door-in-door working/sealing/operating well? It does not have an L-77, so finding parts for an antiquated dinosaur lockset is not a concern.

It is missing one of the Hehr latches. As usual and perpetual, VTS is out of stock. I did find a source in, of all places, a school bus parts company:

http://rvwindow.com/Motorhome_Produc...662&Return=196

Still working to confirm, but hopeful.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
I have a 1958 26' Overlander single axle that tows quite well with my F150. I use a Reese dual cam wd hitch to add stability. I also went with EOH disc brakes to improve the braking capability.

You are probably OK with the towing capacity, but also make sure your axle weight ratings are sufficient along with appropriate rated tires (TV and trailer).

I assume you will be replacing the axle (torsion or beam). Just make sure the axle is square to the frame and triangulated to the coupler.

If you replace with a beam axle, suggest you go with a straight axle rather than dropped. It makes your ground clearance so much better.

Original dropped axle

Click image for larger version

Name:	First Day.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	382330

Straight axle

Click image for larger version

Name:	Curb side 5 2019.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	382332 Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel well change.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	382331

I found the weatherstrips from Vintage Trailer Supply worked well for me.

https://vintagetrailersupply.com/windows-and-doors/

There is another source for weatherstrips also,

https://www.vintagetrailergaskets.co...stream-gaskets

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags