Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #1

1964 24' Tradewind
Ventura , California
Big, red #'s on outside of AS

Hi, I'm new and just starting to post. I've been reading and learning a lot! And I will succumb and remove the belly pan before putting in the new floor. But I digress. I've tried the "search" feature but cannot locate the subject on the big, red numbers/letters on the outside endcaps of some AS trailers so forgive if this is a repeat question.

What are they for and should I put some on mine when I'm done w/the reno? Maybe I can customize it like I did with my license plate AIRHAUS. I was thinking "UWANT12"

Thank you, Julie in Ventura, CA

PS: I am renovating a 1964 Tradewind 24, Twin www.instagram.com/goofenoffinhaus #insaneinthemembrane?

"I can't wait to start goofing off in my GoofenOffinHaus"
Air Haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Those big red numbers are past owners WBCCI member numbers.
Every member has a number and many put them on their trailers...
Bruce
Old 11-02-2016, 02:00 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Haus View Post
Hi, I'm new and just starting to post. I've been reading and learning a lot! And I will succumb and remove the belly pan before putting in the new floor. But I digress. I've tried the "search" feature but cannot locate the subject on the big, red numbers/letters on the outside endcaps of some AS trailers so forgive if this is a repeat question.

What are they for and should I put some on mine when I'm done w/the reno? Maybe I can customize it like I did with my license plate AIRHAUS. I was thinking "UWANT12"

Thank you, Julie in Ventura, CA

PS: I am renovating a 1964 Tradewind 24, Twin www.instagram.com/goofenoffinhaus #insaneinthemembrane?

"I can't wait to start goofing off in my GoofenOffinHaus"
www.wbcci.org
Old 11-02-2016, 02:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Haus View Post
snip
Greetings:
The number are membership number for WBCCI (the Airstream Club). Many older trailers have them on and the new owners might or might not be very happy about it as there hard to get off once on.
I'm assuming from your comments that your trailer might not have any on it. So if you wish to joint WBCCI they will issue you a set of numbers. At that point you can decide if you wish to put them on your trailer. Many are not these days, but its a personal call.
Hope this makes things a little clearer
Cheers
Doug
Old 11-02-2016, 02:40 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The answer is no. Unless of course, you feel that the WBCCI (Walley Byam Caravan Club International) is an organization with which you want to be associated.

The big red numbers were developed as a means to identify individual owners in a sea of shiny coaches that generally looked similar. The argument against applying the numbers is that they will leave a ghost image on the coach and may detract from the value on resale. Some folks put their numbers on plexiglass in a window.

No you can't personalize the numbers like a license tag, because only numbers are available in the WBCCI system. Of course that is not strictly true. You can put anything on your trailer, because it's yours. It would not have to be a WBCCI issued number. However, you would miss out on that part of owning an AS.

What most folks do is to pick a number that was on the trailer at some time, or one that is special to them. Contact the WBCCI office in Jackson Center to see if the number is available.

There is some conflict with respect to WBCCI. It may not be for you. But it's worth a look. Part of the AS experience as well.

Good luck with your coach and travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
Denver , North Carolina
Go to WBCCI.org and browse. We do not display our numbers except on a piece of plexiglass we prop on front when attending rallies. The Airstream WBCCI club is so much fun you might consider attending a rally just to decide for yourselves.
Can't imagine what we would do without all the new friends we have met along the way.
WBCCI 2606
Murphalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
If you don't join WBCCI, you can put anything up there you like, including any number sequence you like. If you do join WBCCI, it would be polite to not to use someone else's number to avoid confusion
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
While we are members of WBCCI, the Airstream Owners Association (and very involved in our unit, the 4CU), we did not put our WBCCI number on our Bambi... some refer to us as "Baldies" because we have no numbers on our "dome"... We put ours on plexiglas so we can display them when necessary ... usually at Regional or International Rallies. It;s how the identity you at evens where there are a lot of Airstreams that basically all look the same.

PS: If you would like more information about WBCCI please PM me ... I'm happy to answer questions about the club.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote