RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-11-2021, 07:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Hi PA: Yes, I modified my Trade Wind to my liking. I didn't like the bi-fold door as it took up too much floor space in the bath. Since I moved the toilet forward to access a larger black tank, I converted the bifold door to a pocket door taking up much less floor space. Thus the longer bulkhead wall on the street side. There is a black tank vent pipe between the walls on that side that limited the travel of the door.

I also made the sleeping surfaces wider and higher for new mattresses and more comfort. My aisle between the bed got pretty narrow, but I sleep a lot more than I walk that aisle. I can shuffle a bit with one foot ahead of the other. The Trade Wind shuffle we call it.

I'm not artistic by any means. But it all worked out for us. Here is my granddaughter in the Trade Wind. She liked it.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1607 Wellington Anne Trade Wind 2 (Small).JPG
Views:	20
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	386778  
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

See my 1966 Trade Wind Renovation Documentation:
Knowledge Base Airstream Trailers

See my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:

See our 1976 Sovereign Renovation Project:
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:23 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Black tank plumbing diagram and ??

So a few strange things about the black tank:

1) Placement. It is on the curb (passenger) side while pretty much all dump stations and full hook-ups sites have are on the street (driver's side)
2) It has a 2" outlet hole. This is quite small.

I was able to salvage the Thetford brass attachment plate under the black tank by getting three of the four 1/4"/20 screws out and tapping the fourth for 5/16". I have figured out how to adapt to modern plumbing.

I plan to run a 3" ABS or PVC pipe under the trailer belly pan after coming off the brass plate with a 45 degree elbow (from the exact spot where the original valve was located, just under the tank). In theory, this will increase the (relatively) small fiberglass tank's holding capacity by a few gallons. I will then put the Valterra dump valve on the street side of the trailer, somewhere close behind the tire.

In theory, this would protect the valve a bit, as it is closer to the tire and further front from the bumper and it will have more ground clearance. It will also place the dump valve on the "proper" side of the trailer.

When putting deodorizer in the tank, how will it work with addition of the underbelly pipe? Would I have to sacrifice that capacity anyway by filling the pipe with water until the water reached the bottom of the actual tank to make the deodorizer effective? Or would its sweet smelling power just rise with the contents as it worked its way toward the actual tank?

See diagram. Interesting how I really drew a wide body here. But I think it gets the point across.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Black-tank-diagram.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	386866  
Old 01-13-2021, 07:04 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
3" drain pipe is the modern standard. I think smaller restriction will end up clogging. It might be you don't have enough water head pressure to flush that long drain pipe. Maybe being at the rear of the trailer may raise concerns of having it scraped off exiting a inclined driveway.

I use a "Tank Buddy" macerator by Thetford. It is a garbage disposal of sorts for the black tank. It liquifies everything and pumps it 25' in a small, flexible hose. I rinse the hose with my grey water. I got it because some campground sewer connections are higher than the drain pipe on our low slung Airstreams. The water powered Sewer Solution is another option that doesn't require 12v power and works well.

Any chance you can eliminate that above floor tank and configure a under floor tank? My 66 Trade Wind owners manual talked about digging a "gopher hole" under the drain pipe and then burying the waste. The way our trailers worked back then is not acceptable these days. Here is a photo of the black tank out of the Trade Wind. Woefully inadequate in my view. Only 3" deep at the deep end. I installed a modern waste tank system that worked well.

You'll come up with something.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1311 Tank Black Removed (Small).JPG
Views:	14
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	386869  
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Old 01-17-2021, 10:48 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
NOVI , MI
Hello There!

I was pleasantly surprised to find your thread today. This is my first time posting on the forum too. I also have a 1961 double twin Tradewind (I purchased in September and likely paid more than I should have); however, the bathtub is combined with the toilet area. Ours was 95% original (previous owner added a water heather) and we hope to keep it aligned to the era but fix/clean/update what we can. I am excited to follow your work and learn from it since the other owners I met so far with these trailer are camping in them with having to do little work as of yet. I am trying to do more work now on the front end with my dad and Uncle. I have little girls too and I am excited about them growing up in the trailer with me and their grand parents (haven't gotten my husband into camping yet but that is a work in process).

Here are a few photos and we hope to start the larger projects and drop the belly pan once the weather warms up in the next couple months. We really hope the fridge works but heard it might not. We will be camping in a pop up in 2021 as we have been for many years but hope to be out in the TW in 2022.

Good Luck!Click image for larger version

Name:	20200903_123814.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	387105Click image for larger version

Name:	20200830_131348.jpeg
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	387106Click image for larger version

Name:	20200903_125951.jpeg
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	387107Click image for larger version

Name:	20200830_131337.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	387108
Oceana24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:52 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceana24 View Post
Hello There!

I was pleasantly surprised to find your thread today. This is my first time posting on the forum too. I also have a 1961 double twin Tradewind (I purchased in September and likely paid more than I should have); however, the bathtub is combined with the toilet area. Ours was 95% original (previous owner added a water heather) and we hope to keep it aligned to the era but fix/clean/update what we can. I am excited to follow your work and learn from it since the other owners I met so far with these trailer are camping in them with having to do little work as of yet. I am trying to do more work now on the front end with my dad and Uncle. I have little girls too and I am excited about them growing up in the trailer with me and their grand parents (haven't gotten my husband into camping yet but that is a work in process).

Here are a few photos and we hope to start the larger projects and drop the belly pan once the weather warms up in the next couple months. We really hope the fridge works but heard it might not. We will be camping in a pop up in 2021 as we have been for many years but hope to be out in the TW in 2022.

Good Luck!Attachment 387105Attachment 387106Attachment 387107Attachment 387108

Hello! Glad you found this thread...and thankful someone is interested in watching me through it! This will be our second Airstream restoration, but I have been camping in these wonderful travel trailers for over 45 years (since 6-days-old).

Really happy to see another fairly original 1961 TW. We weren't really looking for a TradeWind per se, but this one found us. I don't think we paid too much...but it really adds up when you start to realize how much needs redone/replaced. Many things I was hopeful would be re-usable are going to the scrap yard. At least it will be truly "ours" when we are finished. We watch our money well, and I am glad I can do much of the work myself, still, it adds up! Just today we went to pick up a used casement AC unit to install inside for our cooling needs. We are always happy to invest some $$ into an Airstream. They hold their value when done correctly and preserved well.

Your TW looks very nice indeed! Lynn did some research after we bought our double and started planning to turn it into twins and found that the bathrooms in twins are laid out differently than in the doubles. This was to add back some of the awesome storage lost by taking out the wall of closets and drawers for the second bed. That storage was added back into the bathroom.

Hoping to read your future thread and to learn from you. My parents were thrilled when they graduated from a pop-up to their first Airstream; a 1966 TW double. Dad never looked back, and I am carrying it forward.

Glad your girls are along for the ride...I am sure your hubby will come around! Cheers! Ben
Old 01-17-2021, 07:13 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Greetings Oceana24: As posted above, I'm a Trade Wind fan. I think they are a very nice size. I've sold mine and now have a 75 Overlander 27'. It is also a twin (our preference) and a comfortable traveler. I was looking for a Trade Wind when I bought it, but none showed up in my searches. Oh well, I don't have any regrets.

Your trailer looks to be in pretty good original condition, but I just bet it needs a lot to make it a reliable and comfortable travel trailer.

David
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Old 01-18-2021, 10:57 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
Looks like fun, and a lot of work. Will enjoy following this thread.
WBCCI #6826
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:27 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
NOVI , MI
Ben and David,

Thank you for the kind words and if it is okay with the both of you I will likely reach out to ask questions directly throughout this year. I wanted to reply sooner and anytime I started to one of my kids jumped on me. It is definitely going to be interesting trying to get as much as possible done this year with these kids crawling and jumping all over. I know I will never be 'done' so maybe done-ish.

Good Luck Everyone!

Ann
Oceana24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:45 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceana24 View Post
Ben and David,

Thank you for the kind words and if it is okay with the both of you I will likely reach out to ask questions directly throughout this year. I wanted to reply sooner and anytime I started to one of my kids jumped on me. It is definitely going to be interesting trying to get as much as possible done this year with these kids crawling and jumping all over. I know I will never be 'done' so maybe done-ish.

Good Luck Everyone!

Ann

Of course! It is great that everyone (mostly) on Airforums is willing to lend a kind word and helpful advice. You will do an amazing job on your trailer.

When I did the Bambi II, (purchased in 2010), I also started a doctoral program in January 2011, we had our first daughter in March 2011, and our second daughter in August 2012. We started camping in it (VERY incomplete) in August of 2014 when the trailer turned 50! I completed the doctorate in 2015...and also held down a regular full-time job and took care of the old farmhouse through it all. Never a dull moment. And the Bambi is still not "done."
Old 02-20-2021, 04:54 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
The gutting continues...

I have been working on the Airstream when the winter weather here in PA is palatable enough for interior demo. I have had a few sporadic nice days to work and have been able to gut the trailer pretty much entirely. The only things still installed are the water heater, furnace, and the street side overhead lockers in the bedroom and kitchen.

I have begun the removal of inner skins in the bathroom area. My idea is to start there, and in the front, where I know I will need to contract some welding to be done on the frame. My hope is to have the inner skins removed and the necessary subfloor taken up by spring when the weather breaks. I will also have the mid section of the belly pan cut open so I can assess the frame and needed repairs.

In the meantime, I have purchased a used LG 10,000 BTU casement AC unit which will be installed in place of the furnace. We do very little cold weather camping by choice, but we do spend a lot of days and nights camping in the dead of summer. In addition to the AC unit, I have been amassing parts and pieces so I will have them when the time is right for projects.

Today's 29 degree cold weather project was to get going on some re-screening of window screen frames. I bought a screen tool to replace the one I apparently lost and some splining. I had enough fiberglass screening material to re-do the two jalousie window screen frames (thought I had more!) and finished them up after some serious cleaning. I will get some more material, and have the rest of the screens taken care of in no time.

It was nice to do a bit of work on the trailer in the heat and comfort of the house. I wish I could pull the window frames to re-work those as well, but that is easier said than done with the temperatures, snow, and the fact that I will likely need to remove the eyebrows above the frames to get them out. At least one needs to have a corner welded, so that one HAS to come out. I might try to rebuild the rest in place on the trailer, even though that is not ideal. All of them have plenty of silicone goop that needs to be removed before I can really determine what each will need.

Small steps...it is good to have a plan, and also easier since I redid one vintage Airstream already.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	overall-gut-looking-forward.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	389072   Click image for larger version

Name:	overall-gut-looking-rearward.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	389073  

Name:	bathroom-skins-curb-side-1.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	389074   Click image for larger version

Name:	bathroom-skins-curb-side.jpg
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	389075  

Name:	electrical-box.jpg
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	389076   Click image for larger version

Name:	front-sofa-frame.jpg
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	389077  

Name:	AC.jpg
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	389078   Click image for larger version

Name:	bathroom-skins-street-side.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	389079  

Name:	Jalousie-screens.jpg
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	389080  
Old 02-20-2021, 07:55 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Hi from Colorado, where the snow has been skimpy this year. The drought continues.

Nothing like a dirty old Airstream to get a guy motivated even in the winter. Your winter has been worse than normal maybe. Your experience will certainly be valuable as you design and build your "new" vintage Trade Wind.

I've been plugging away on my son's 69 Globetrotter. It was in pretty good shape frame and subfloor wise. But the plumbing and cabinets needed work. And we have a new axle for it in hand. We are addressing those and making significant changes to the floor plan for hopefully a more comfortable trailer. We are installing a larger "septic" tank under the subfloor. No air conditioning though. But at 10,000 feet, it stays pretty cool here if you are out of the sun.

David
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Old 02-27-2021, 03:27 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Cleaning the slate...

I spent another few hours today (PA is getting warmer as Spring approaches!) stripping the lower interior skins in preparation for partial subfloor removal/frame inspection and repair.

The insulation is so nasty...and whenever I think that I wanted to just redo parts of this trailer and get it going...I think of all that nasty yellow fiberglass behind the walls, and getting it out makes such a difference! I got rid of three trash bags worth today.

As the fiberglass comes out, the floor gets wetter (as snow melts.). I guess with the absence of the fiberglass to absorb/wick up the leaking water, it runs right down the skins and onto the floor. There seem to be leaks everywhere...but mostly on the curbside where a lot of extraneous additions were made. All must be removed and patches made.

I found a suitable piece of Delrin plastic to be made into the black tank valve adapter.

And I have decided to put the original Dometic M50 fridge up for sale. It is a beautiful piece of art-deco design, but I just can't see it being practical for our trailer.

Cora "the rivet girl" was a big helper to me the other day, helping to remove stuff from the trailer and also in drilling out rivets. I am so thrilled she wants to be involved with the renovation!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cora-the-rivet-girl.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	389487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior-overall.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	389488  

Name:	black-tank-adapter.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	389489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge-front.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	389490  

Old 02-27-2021, 04:12 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
You could strip the M50 of the heavy propane equipment and make it much lighter. Then convert it using a Danfoss compressor and run it on AC/DC. We converted our M16 and it wasnít that bad. It works great when towing. Just a thought. We got the idea from Harold (57vintage). Good luck
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:22 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
Cora "the rivet girl" was a big helper to me the other day, helping to remove stuff from the trailer and also in drilling out rivets. I am so thrilled she wants to be involved with the renovation!

You didn't mention the field in which you have a doctorate, but you obviously have a PHd in fatherhood.
Slats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 02:31 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post
You didn't mention the field in which you have a doctorate, but you obviously have a PHd in fatherhood.

This is the coolest response I have ever received on AirForums! It warmed my heart immensely.

My doctorate is in educational leadership. I am a school counselor at a Career & Technology High School and a former English teacher. I have worked with thousands of children over the years, but my own little ones are my life and my full focus whenever I am not at school.

They have both embraced camping and our little Airstreams. I am happy they can both be involved in the process of fixing this one up.

Here is a picture of my much younger girls "helping" with the Bambi project, and sitting at the trailer's tiny dinette...or as we call it, our "tinette."

Thanks again so much for your message! It means the world to me!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9447.jpg
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	389553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tinette-girls.jpg
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	389554  

Old 03-04-2021, 10:36 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Ben & Lynn's '61 TradeWind Reno: Adventure Awaits!

I stumbled across your thread, so I will now be following along. Interesting that your folks had a 66 Tradewind. I believe it to be one of the best Airstreams ever designed and built. We certainly love ours. We have had it 11 years now and we have enjoyed it and made many improvements. My wife is recently retired so we hope to do lots of traveling in it.

You are fortunate to introduce your girls to Airstream camping at an early age. We did lots of tent camping with our kids, but didnít get an Airstream until they were teenagers. Teenagers certainly donít get very excited about going camping with their parents, even in an Airstream.

Now we do have young grand daughters that love to go camping with us. Here is one that moved right in.

I loved the photo of your young girls at their ďtinetteĒ.

DanClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2445.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	389911
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Okay, if Touring Dan is going to brag about his grandkids (very cute I might add), then I will too.

Here is my granddaughter camping in my former 66 Trade Wind. Notice the just got up mess. When do we eat says the beagle looking for a snack? We had a great 3 nights out in the mountains near here.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1607 Wellington Anne Trade Wind 2 (Small).JPG
Views:	3
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	389982  
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11