Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2011, 06:13 AM   #401
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Kevo Send a message via MSN to Kevo Send a message via Yahoo to Kevo
Airstreams are all unique...and to each is own I say, and beauty is in the eye of the beer holder. But all cliche's aside. It looks like it has a big wart on its butt.

Just sayin.

That said, I would take that AS in a heartbeat ! very nice find !
Kevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #402
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Rodney, I've been wondering how you are and what you are doing. How goes it?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #403
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2 View Post
Rod,

good to see you're still having a go at it. For the short, it burns out the tow vehicle fuse, right? If that's the case, pull apart the plug that goes from your trailer to the tow vehicle and see if a wire has come loose. My brake lights kept doing that and discovered that the wire inside the plug had come loose and was touching the ground. They are held in the plug with screws and since you yank on the plug all the time, can come loose.

Later!
Nope, isn't that. I looked. I hate not being confident enough in the running lights to be able to plan on running after dark. Not a big deal in the summer with the long days, but this time of year it becomes a consideration.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #404
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Rodney, I've been wondering how you are and what you are doing. How goes it?

Gene
Gene, thanks for asking . I am working a one year position with Auburn University- Montgomery. Doing well, staying very busy. Considering a northern NM/southern CO odyssey for June/July next year.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #405
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Dry dock addendum

The water pump is starting to fail as well. I guess that goes on the list. Any recommendations folks? What would be the downside of getting one of the lower volume pumps? Seems like that might be the smart way to go given the amount of dry camping I do. I really wish I could rebuild the pump I have. I think it is the original. Loud, but it has been a trooper.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:36 AM   #406
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
1976 Argosy 24
Olsburg , Kansas
Rodney I have a original pump that I didn't use when I bought my 68, the belt drive gear was wobbly. Previous owner didn't take care of it. I have it in my attic.

Lee
clydecrashcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #407
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Looking ahead to the 50th

In 2018 my rig turns 50 years old. Looking ahead I am thinking it would be fun to do an extended tour with everything tweaked out exactly right. I have always managed to keep the rig usable (if only just at times).

I am thinking polishing it and the works. Maybe replace the mattress, treat the wood and what not. LED running lights maybe. Clearly, I shouldn't need six years to accomplish this but it gives me something to work toward.

If you were doing this project, what would be on your list?

Old 05-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #408
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
... If you were doing this project, what would be on your list?
Line-up funding in order to pay someone ELSE to do the polishing

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #409
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Good advice, Tom! I polished once before and it was an epic event. By the way, the advice you gave to put the water heater switch where I could hit it from bed was also sound.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #410
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Rodney,

I polished 68 Trade Wind last summer and still need to do a final once over with a Cyclo, just don't have one yet, (hope to get one for Father's day). My shoulder was sore for 3 months after the polishing job. I wound up having to go to a physical therapist before I finally got it back to normal ( course I"m way older than my 40 plus year old trailer.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:01 PM   #411
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
The winds of time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
In 2018 my rig turns 50 years old. Looking ahead I am thinking it would be fun to do an extended tour with everything tweaked out exactly right. I have always managed to keep the rig usable (if only just at times).

I am thinking polishing it and the works. Maybe replace the mattress, treat the wood and what not. LED running lights maybe. Clearly, I shouldn't need six years to accomplish this but it gives me something to work toward.

If you were doing this project, what would be on your list?

Its now 2021 and I have had her for 16 years and the list of needs has just gotten to big for me to handle. SO I have bit the bullet and she was shipped of to dry dock in Utah for a major rehab today. The plan is to fix all the structural and systems issues- returning her to like new condition. We are going to rehab the frame and doors, replace the electrical and plumbing systems. I want to keep the interior as close to '68 as possible. Add zipdee awnings and maybe get someone else to polish her this time.

Shooting for going up to get her around spring break 2022. I will post periodic updates here. SO looking forward to getting back out on the road (and not worrying) to paint and photograph
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TW loaded up for dry dock.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	398539  

Old 07-01-2021, 07:13 PM   #412
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Hey there again! Long time since I have really checked out the forum but I get emails to old threads. So I just wanted to say congratulations on biting that bullet, because after all you just want to get back on the road!
I too, had a major problem with mine (same model/year) just returning from a CA to WI trip (awesome btw)... battery almost came through the floor- and OH the new (in ‘’06) rear subfloor was rotten (already!).
Fast forward and I ended up gutting it and doing what I never wanted to: shell-on full Subfloor replacement, frame repair, new wiring.... etc. Huge job, thankfully I had a partner in crime in the whole project this time. But I said over and over.... “This is THE last time I am doing this (me involved)!”

So I’m happy for you and that you’re still together with your project ��!

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:40 PM   #413
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Sounds good. We enjoyed that time we met with you and your mother on Padre Island some years ago. I hope she is well. I do remember a screw you managed to screw right through the exterior wall, proving even the most diligent of us make mistakes.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 07-04-2021, 06:24 PM   #414
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Sounds good. We enjoyed that time we met with you and your mother on Padre Island some years ago. I hope she is well. I do remember a screw you managed to screw right through the exterior wall, proving even the most diligent of us make mistakes.

I forgot about that screw LOL.

Mom enjoyed meeting the two of you and loved Padre as much as any place I took her in the Airstream. She was favorably impressed with the cocktail hour ritual. We got to hit several places over a couple years. Unfortunately, cancer took her from us 8 years ago. I miss her terribly still but I am grateful that I took the opportunity to show her some of my favorite places when I had the chance. I thought there was going to be a lot more time than there was in the end. Undoubtedly, the memory of the trips we shared in the Tradewind played a large part in my decision to spend as much as I am on the restoration.

Old 08-01-2021, 10:16 AM   #415
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Musings on the rebuild

A couple thoughts on the rebuild...

Since all the interior is coming out anyway, I wonder how large of a refrigerator would fit. That Dometic 8 CU sure looks attractive. Its just over five foot in height. Anybody have a feel for the size limitation in the '68?

I have also read that Airstream has ducted AC now. Is this something that could be reasonably integrated into a rebuild?

What other things might be nice upgrades that I'm not thinking about?

Old 08-01-2021, 10:36 AM   #416
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Rodney, concerning AC, there seems to be more interest in mini split systems. The efficiency and Db levels are great. With the curvature of an Airstream interior, ducting the AC and heat makes sense for even distribution. Just a thought. Good luck
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:42 AM   #417
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The Norcold is another option. Having had a Domestic too, I think the Norcold gets cold faster, but the freezer doesn't seem quite as cold. Exterior sizes are a bit different and cubic size may be overrated.

We have a ducted system in the Nash and it works well and it much quieter. But the registers in the Airstream ducted system have a tendency to fall out, so use a different brand. I think ducted requires a false or drop ceiling and the ducts should be well insulated. If you want to spend money, there will be plenty of opportunities.

Old 08-03-2021, 04:07 PM   #418
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
We have a ducted system in the Nash and it works well and it much quieter. But the registers in the Airstream ducted system have a tendency to fall out, so use a different brand. I think ducted requires a false or drop ceiling and the ducts should be well insulated. If you want to spend money, there will be plenty of opportunities.

Is a lower priority, that said if better AC can be built in at a reasonable cost, why not?

Old 08-05-2021, 10:33 AM   #419
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Thinking about awnings all around

Part of the rebuild will be to add awnings. So far, I have gotten by with an old school thread to the side awning. It worked but honestly, its a lot of work and requires hauling out a step ladder every single time. So, the plan is to add a zipdee. The question is this: what are the pros and cons of adding awnings all around the rig? How much more cost will the extra awnings add and would the extra cost be off set by the functional improvement (as opposed to just aesthetics). Anyone with experience on this, barring that just thoughts?

Old 08-06-2021, 12:57 PM   #420
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
ZipDees are pretty expensive and not the only brands. We found that using the ZipDee was difficult to open and close. Of course, ZipDees are traditional with Airstreams and deployed on all windows they do look cool. But doing all windows? Several thousand I am sure, depending on how many windows you have. The power awning on our Nash has worked well and sure makes using it a good deal. Because of summer thunderstorms we like the ability tom open and close quickly. The standard installation on our trailer placed the support brakes at the rear of the trailer right over an exterior seam and made it very difficult to see—water then comes into the trailer to the subfloor and you know the rest. I resealed it better than the factory and it stopped leaking. I think there is an option for some power awnings to close it when a sensor feels rain, but don't think there is a sensor for wind. Just another thing you can research for weeks.