Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2006, 04:01 PM   #121
2 Rivet Member

, Utah
Hi Mark,
Congrats on your purchase. My '59 Tradewind has split rims and hydraulic brakes. It traveled behind a Dodge diesel for about 350 miles and couple of years ago. We had to go over one pass and it never wait faster then about 65. We also allows plenty of stopping distance between us and anybody else. We did have one close call in heavy traffic and someone cutting right in front of us.

Would I do it again? I wanted to get it home, of course I would. If that close call we had would have been an accident I'd probably have a different story. You should have about 3 mountain ranges to go over and that is probably also something think about. I'm not sure I'd like to come down the west side of the Blue Mountains without something to slow down that Airstream so it doesn't mess up and nice Duramax.

On another note we had 3 spare tires and rims and never used them. They are not split rims. I'll try to look at them an note some info for you.

Also if your trip takes you through northern Utah like me know. I live about 5 minutes from the I-15, I-84 junction.

Rod
rschulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:02 PM   #122
2 Rivet Member

, Utah
Hi Brad,
What is this I hear about a trip to Yellowstone this next week? If you are coming up I-15 you will be going right passed my place and it is an easy off and back on the freeway if you are north bound.
Rod
Old 09-03-2006, 06:51 PM   #123
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hey. That sounds like a possibility. We are traveling up I-15 from Zion to Idaho Falls. Where are you located? Send me a PM. Be great to check out each others rigs.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:19 PM   #124
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Mark:
I'm encouraged to hear that your Ohio trailer had electric brakes. I have sent an email to the current owner and will see if I can determine my braking status. My fax at home is 503.628.0315, and I'd welcome your wiring diagram. Alternatively, send it as an email attachment.
Rod:
There is indeed a chance that I may return home via the southern route thru Salt Lake City - if so, I'd love to say hello and see your trailer. Wheel info would be most helpful and appreciated!! Thanks everyone for your input -
Mark
Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:17 PM   #125
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Mark -
My fax and phone line are the same #. I picked up the phone when the fax tone was on - please give it another try.
Thanks -
Mark
Old 09-03-2006, 10:19 PM   #126
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Mark ~

This is the only photo I could find of a hydraulic brake connection. This one also had the reservoir for fluid as well. It looks similar to a brake reservoir under the hood of a car. Sorry about the poor photo but it was the only one I could find.

Brad
FF
Attached Images

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:15 PM   #127
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
I think there's a rule that all Tradewinds must be owned by Marks . . . no sorry, I think it's that all Marks must own Tradewinds . . . I got the memo about 2 months ago and went right out and bought one.

Ours is also an Ohio built and has electric brakes . . . of course the trailer is 46 years old so who knows what changes it has gone through. I also have been watching your auction - very cool trailer. I got our fridge fired up yesterday and we made ice by midnight last night! I think everyone has answered all of your questions . . . maybe bring a set of those magnetic temporary tail lights incase you have trouble getting your lights working. If it has hubcaps I'd take them off for the trip (if they look original/vintage) . . . We look forward to seeing more pictures when you get it home.
MarkR

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:38 AM   #128
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Don - got your fax of the wiring diagram: priceless info!! I looked at your photo gallery. It's clear that you've had on the job experience with your trailer. Also, thanks for your offer of help in Mpls. I lived at 27th and Fremont for three years in the late 70's. I haven't seen any decent "Fall colors" since moving to Oregon, and October would be just about right timing.
Brad - I can see the hydraulic brake connection in your photo, and do not see a twin in any of the (fair to poor quality) photos of my trailer. I'm hoping the seller can give me more info on brakes and electrical status.
Mark - I've already looked online at Camping World's magnetic tail lights. I just might be paranoid enough that I'll bring a set with me when I go to retreive the trailer in Iowa.
Thanks again to everyone for very helpful information. I'm afraid that my trip to the "Vintage Open House" at the rally in Salem this July pushed me over the edge into this adventure . . . .
Mark
Old 09-13-2006, 01:11 AM   #129
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Hill Country , Texas
I have the 1959 Airstream catalog in Adobe acrobat if anyone is interested in floor plans.
Drew[/quote]

If you still have this, I'd love a copy.

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2006, 08:29 PM   #130
2 Rivet Member

, Utah
Had a great visit with flyfshr and his better half last weekend. We got to compare Airstreams and share a few stories. I sure hope that Yellowstone was good to them.

We have been doing a few things on the Trade Wind this week and have found and broken window crank that will need to be replaced.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:37 PM   #131
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
If you have looked at the weather for Yellowstone this week, Brad might be a little cold and wet. Then again it might be good for the fishing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yellowstone.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	25964  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 07:32 PM   #132
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Cold and wet is right. Was snowing when we left Red Rock RV Park outside West Yellowstone this morning. The mountain tops got a dusting of snow yesterday while I was fishing Henry's Lake. With the front moving in, the fishing was lousy. Currently we're in Ogden, UT where the sun is shining and the temp is above 40.

Yellowstone was breathtaking, as you can imagine, but we also really enjoyed Grand Tetons almost as much. Lots of great opportunities for photos and we have a lot to go through. I'll post some once we get home and I can go through them.

We also enjoyed comparing notes Rod. Nice to finally meet you. Lots of similarities and also differences for TradeWind's only 18 serial numbers apart.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:06 AM   #133
2 Rivet Member

, Utah
1959 TW Door Gasket

Careful everyone, Brad is running around with a very contigious case of aluminitius and I think I've been reinfected.

I've been cleaning and polish and getting ready to install new weatherstriping and have a few questions.

1. Is the same weatherstriping used on the screen door as is used on the door and door frame. The hard old stuff that I took off was not original.

2. Should I put the weatherstripping in the corner or should I leave a little space for compression. I am thinking that I want it to cover the rivets on the door, which would but in the corner. The prevoius old stuff that I took off was not original and was sometimes covering the rivets and sometimes running along the edge.

Photos would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 10-02-2006, 10:33 AM   #134
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
New weather stripping

Rod,

I just started this very project on my Ambassador. I got the weatherstrip material from Vintage Trailer Supply.

On my '60 the weatherstrip is the same on the main door, the door-within-a-door, and the trailer opening as well. So it's used in three places.

I only had time to do the main door so far because scrapping of 46 years of glue, silicone, and spiderwebs took some time

When you look at the profile of the new gasket, the longer side goes to the outside of the door. It's actually a nice fit. The top of my door must be bowed a little because it does not quite seat well with the trailer siding. Needs to be tweaked.

Remember that the gasket VTS has is only for trailers where the door overlaps the trailer wall when closed. Some models the door closed flush and the gasket is not made for that one.

In the first photo you can see the PO's idea of a gasket
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door_gasket.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	26521   Click image for larger version

Name:	door_gasket1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	26522  

Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:07 PM   #135
2 Rivet Member

, Utah
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply, I think your door is about the same as mine. I am hoping to get this done this week or at least by early next week. The weather in Utah is cooling off fast this week.

The gasket from VTS, are you talking about Product Code: VTS-286?

About how long is shipping for them?

How many feet did you get for the whole job?

On the door opening I think I need to point the wider/taller size to the inside and on the door opening. On the door I think need to point it toward the edge of the door. How I just have to figure out if I put the gasket over the rivets or more toward the edge of the door.

Thanks Again,

P.S. I heard in one the the Podcast about the big 2008 rally in Montana. I found out it is in Bozeman. Is there anything out about dates yet? It would be a day trip for me if I can get the old Tradewind on the road by then.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:43 PM   #136
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Rod, I just went with their suggestion which was 42 feet. I plan on finishing tonight so we'll see if that's enough.

That's the right part number too. It took a week and a half to get. But I think my order was held up because he was out of stock on olympic rivets I had also ordred.

I think the taller lip always goes to the outside of the door and also the frame on the trailer. I have some old dried up peices left to help me out.

On the door, the gasket goes right to the edge. Just line the gasket up with the edge of the door and you'll be fine.

My door was quite loose and floppy with the old dried up gasket. Now it closes a little tighter. I hope when I add the gasket on the door frame will help as well.

Don't know anything about the upcomming 2008 rally. That Rob's segment! ;-)
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:37 PM   #137
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschulz
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply, I think your door is about the same as mine. I am hoping to get this done this week or at least by early next week. The weather in Utah is cooling off fast this week.

The gasket from VTS, are you talking about Product Code: VTS-286?

About how long is shipping for them?

How many feet did you get for the whole job?

On the door opening I think I need to point the wider/taller size to the inside and on the door opening. On the door I think need to point it toward the edge of the door. How I just have to figure out if I put the gasket over the rivets or more toward the edge of the door.

Thanks Again,

P.S. I heard in one the the Podcast about the big 2008 rally in Montana. I found out it is in Bozeman. Is there anything out about dates yet? It would be a day trip for me if I can get the old Tradewind on the road by then.
Rod,

The Bozeman Rally is the WBCCI International. The 2006 was is Salem, OR, the 2007 is in Perry, GA. You must be a WBCCI member, the registration information will be available after the 2007 rally. The dates are approx June 28 to July 4. The best time will be to caravan in with the VAC and park with them.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:17 PM   #138
2 Rivet Member

, Utah
Hi again Tim,
Thanks for the info. Please let me know how it goes on the length and installation tonight. Hopefully I can order mine tomorrow.

Hi Bill,
No not a member yet, just kicking around some ideas. The 2008 rally is a day trip away for me and it would be fun to get one of these Airstreams there.

My '59 has the number 7051 on the front and back of it. It would be great to get that number again but it is probably being used by someone else. My father in law bought this Tradewind in the early '70s and I got it from him a few years ago. The story is woven though this tread that flyfshr started. I was so excited about it that I kind of hijack his tread. With a lot of thing happening the Tradewind has spent a lot of time waiting for me. Flyfshr (Brad) stopping by a few weeks ago and got me all excited again so it looks like I still have his tread hijacked.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:06 PM   #139
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
If hijacking is what it takes for you to get your TradeWind roadworthy, then hijack away. I'll start another one too if that'll help. The 7051 number was listed as taken in my directories from 2001 through 2005. It is not listed in the 2006 directory, so there may be hope. The WBCCI usually likes to wait for two full years before issuing an old unclaimed number. Give them a call at 937.596.5211 and see if it's still availeable. If it is and it's not quite 2 years, they will put a hold on it for you so it is not issued to a new member. Good luck.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:03 PM   #140
2 Rivet Member

, Utah
Hi Brad,
Always great to hear from you. I think our 12 year old was infected by your visit too. He races home after school and gets his homework done before I get home from work so we can work on the Airstream (his idea). It really is great. I am hoping to get the weatherstrip done before fall/winter sets in.