Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2006, 10:03 AM   #181
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Yep ,mine vents the same way also up behind fridge there ,the fridge works
better in cooler weather ,I think that is kinda common though for that to
happen ,the serial # does inicate a 59 for sure there Mark.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:04 AM   #182
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Sugarfoot -

My understanding is that CA safety/environmental standards were considerably more defined in '59 than those in Ohio. CA Tradewinds also have a vent pipe running vertically through the bathroom countertop to exit on the roof.

Mark
Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:10 AM   #183
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wiltrakis
Sugarfoot -

My understanding is that CA safety/environmental standards were considerably more defined in '59 than those in Ohio. CA Tradewinds also have a vent pipe running vertically through the bathroom countertop to exit on the roof.

Mark
Local environmental standards, yes that would make sense.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:35 AM   #184
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Calif. mobile home regulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
Local environmental standards, yes that would make sense.
Actually, they were California mobile home regulations that, in their broad sweep, also applied to travel trailers built in California (hence the unusual vents found on the heater chimneys as well as fully vented gas refigerators). Airstream didn't have its lobbying act -- $$$$$ -- well enough together to win an exemption from the politicos. Look for a small black background plaque next to the VIN plates on California built Airstreams from ~ 1959 to ~1963, which state the trailer was built to the standards imposed by the California Division of Housing. No such plate appears on Ohio built trailers from those years. Instead, the Ohio trailers voluntarily were built to MHMA approved standards, and usually had an oval plate to prove it.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:41 PM   #185
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Once again, Fred, you've come through with more facinating history about our trailers. I do have an MHMA pacquard on my Ohio.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:16 PM   #186
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Mine also is an ohio trdwnd with the vents in the floor under the furnace .
The MHMA is an roundish winged type ensignia and then the dataplate has
jackson center ohio and below in the other corner gives the Los Angelese
address as well seemingly advertising that airstreams are made in both places .No vent pipe on the counter as mine went in the wall from the toilet up to the roof thru a small pipe .It has the shipswheel and the tradewind
placard rivited on also ,alot of badging on it .

Scott
Old 11-03-2006, 06:58 AM   #187
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
More old facts ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
Mine also is an ohio trdwnd with the vents in the floor under the furnace. The MHMA is an roundish winged type ensignia and then the dataplate has jackson center ohio and below in the other corner gives the Los Angelese address as well seemingly advertising that airstreams are made in both places. No vent pipe on the counter as mine went in the wall from the toilet up to the roof thru a small pipe. It has the shipswheel and the tradewind placard rivited on also ,alot of badging on it. Scott
Hi Scott:

The California built ~1959 to ~1962 trailers had the bathtub/bathroom sink vent pipe come vertically right up through the lavanette countertop just inwards of the tub. I believe this location was used to stay under the maximum distances betweeen the vent stack and the traps allowed by the Calif. mobile home regulations. Ohio built trailers did not have to conform to those regs, so their bathroom floor plans were different and the vent pipe was hidden in a wall.

The MHMA plate was the RV industry "Seal of Good Trailerbuilding" that certified the trailer meant certain "better" construction standards, and smart shoppers looked for it as the mark of a well built trailer.

The ships wheel "Land Yacht" plaque announces your 1960 Tradewind has the self-contained "Land Yacht" intermediate level trim package. The base model "standard" Airstreams from 1958 to 1962 had mostly 120 vac appliances (refrigerator, water heater, interior lamps) and no 12 vdc electrical system; they were designed primarily for park use as opposed to "off grid" use. That trim level desingation was moved to the serial number plate by 1962 and became the new base model standard in 1963, when the all 120 vac "standard" Airstreams were dropped from the line up in favor of producing just self-contained travel trailers.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:26 PM   #188
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Fred ,

thanks very much for the breakdown of the id plates and other plaques .
you have the knowlege for sure and its cool to have you share it as always.

Scott
Old 11-14-2006, 06:02 PM   #189
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Is it a Dometic refrig??

I've exchanged 3 emails with Dometic USA Technical Service Dept and think their info is incorrect. This began when I asked about how to remove the door hinges, and thus the front door, so my refrigerator would fit through the Tradewind's door. I sent the photos below to them, with the reply: "This is not a Dometic refer and I checked with other tech here and no one have a clue as to how to remove the doors on your refer. Sorry we could not be more help to you."
Two questions:
1. How do I remove the refrig door without doing damage to components?
2. Is this not a model 75A Dometic (the front door reads "Dometic - Made in Sweden")? Is it some other brand with a pirated front door?
Thanks!
Mark
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2006, 06:40 PM   #190
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Oh yes, Mark, yours is a Dometic. Mine looks nearly like yours, hinges on opposite side, but interior shelving and design is the same. The door, interior and exterior, is a bit different than mine. Since you have a 59 TW, it could be just a model year older. You also have the old Klixon valve set-up. I've seen your photos. I'm led to believe yours is a model 75A based on your pic. I think mine is an M50a. I don't have an answer on removing the door, never tried on mine. I'm sure you've looked but do the hinges have removable pins?

I'm willing to bet the service technicians you corresponded with have never seen a model as old as yours, hence it doesn't register as a Dometic in their minds. Maybe one of the forum members, RVCool, can help. He has offered very helpful info on some other threads regarding refers.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:37 PM   #191
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Sugarfoot -
I share your opinion - the technical service dept has not encountered this refrigerator before today. I recall your photo, and the hinges on opposite side. I'm perplexed about how to pull the hinge pins without causing structural damage. The alternative is to remove approx 60 steel rivets holding the 4 trim pieces in place around the refrigerator perimeter. I thought that perhaps Dometic made refrigerators sold as another brand, e.g. Princess, but I see no other logo on mine.
Mark
Old 11-14-2006, 11:50 PM   #192
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Hill Country , Texas
Mark,

I have a nearly identical Dometic, the hinge pins really DO come out, pretty much like a normal door hinge. But I agree, looks like they won't.

Then, even with the door off, we had to have the box lined up PERFECTLY square with the entry door to get it out--really a tight squeeze. I backed a pickup right up to trailer, then we just kind of scooted it/crammed it thru doorway onto tailgate of pickup.

Good luck,
Old 03-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #193
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Great thread - old but full of great vintage Tradewind info

I don't know how many of the posters on this thread are still on the forums but this was a great thread. For anyone looking for information on their vintage Tradewind, there is a ton of good stuff here.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:04 AM   #194
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Ten years and I'm still here.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #195

1971 27' Overlander
1959 26' Overlander
Lake Wylie , South Carolina
Yep - still watching this thread
SC Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #196
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Yep, there are a few old farts and fart'ettes still hanging out
Old 03-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #197
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Mission , British Columbia
I Need Bathroom Ideas

Hi all
has anyone with a 59 Ohio Tradewind that had the toilet on the curb side and the tub on the street side, changed things to add black and grey tanks?
I (with help from Safari57) have replaced the rear portion of the bathroom floor, and replaced the missing rear window (it had an air conditioner in it) with a window from a later year. It is the same width, but shorter height, so we had to also replace the lower panel.
The floor under the r.h. side black tank was rotten, and the tank itself was bad. It was made of fiberglass and all the gelcoat surface on the inside had flaked off and was floating around inside waiting to plug up the dump hole. Luckily it was empty of anything nasty. So now that I need a new black tank, I'm looking for other ways to do it so that the dump valve is on the street side. If I could find a curb side tub, it would be fairly easy, but my street side tub is in useable condition, so I will probably reuse it after some refinishing. The rest of the trailer is pretty good, so don't want to go the gut it and start over route.
So far my idea is to place a black tank under the floor, bring the toilet more toward the center of the trailer, so that it dumps into the tank just inside of the frame. I'm just a little concerned that the dump valve will be too far to the rear where it might get knocked off by an errant curb or something.
If I want to put the tub/shower on the curb side, I would have to remove my lower interior panels again to redo the wiring. The circuit box is behind where the toilet was, so would then have to be moved to the other side where the power comes in.
I would appreciate hearing any other ideas.
Lee
wagndragnfc is offline   Reply With Quote