Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Windsor , Nova Scotia
1968 Airstream hot Water and Furnace

Hello all,

Well I have had aluminum fever since I was a kid and first saw an Airstream (or "giant toaster" as we affectionately refer to ours) but only have had mine for a year now. Have never tried the furnace or the hot water heater, and I don't know how they work!

- We have gotten a nice new carbon monoxide alarm and a fire alarm
- Plumbing now works finally; thank God for PEX and Sharkbite

How do you start up the furnace and the hot water heater? Any tips?

Thanks,

Matt
mpovah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
Welcome to the AS Community .On both systems there should be a gas valve to turn the gas on for the appliances. On the H2O heater turn the knob to pilot and press the button in light with a long lighter and hold the button in till the flame stays on by itself. Now turn the button to the on position. the burner should turn on.

Avion C11
1959 Flying Cloud
1969 Tradewind
1973 Safari
1983 34 ft Limited
2004 F250 superduty ext cab
2014 F350 longbed superduty crewcab
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Windsor , Nova Scotia
Thanks! Will try that tomorrow night. The furnace seems to have a bunch of vents in the floor so it mist have a fan to push forced air through I bet. Will examine it more closely , likely it has something similar. I need a new fridge as well but the old Bailey had a propane fridge so I am familiar with those.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
I have 68 TW with original applicances also ...

I just recently took my furnace to a man who has good bench testing equipment. Same person also replaces the cooling elements in the refrigerators that use ammonia evaporation. He confirmed that the furnace is heating properly.

I remembered a recall of Suburban furnaces that includes some 1968 models, in which the furnace had to be repaired so that CO and other fumes would not vent into the trailer due to some defect that could be corrected by the recall. I confirmed that my furnace was not within the series covered by the recall. Perhaps you should check that out, also, while you are testing things out.

Here is one of several threads addressing this recall.

I intend to brush and vacuum-sweep out the vents of our furnace. It's going to be tricky because the ducts run underneath the floor; and, previous owners sprayed foam insulation over the entire under-floor, including the frame, ductwork, and anything else that might be between the floor as deep as the frame, 3.5" to 4" or more in some areas.

I will use a contrivance of a plastic flexible water pipe cleanout snake, with a plastic brush head taped to the end of the snake. I will use flexible hose attached to my shop-vac following the brushing process, just to make sure any scary stuff can be removed.

The only problem I had with my furnace was improperly wired connection back to the thermostat. I feared a broken sail switch or other expensive repair. Once I had the inspection done, and had the correct wiring connected, I am hopeful that the furnace will work well enough to use in the three seasons we like to go camping here in Indiana, and extend our winter camping trips south.

My experience with the water heater is that it is a 10-gallon Atwood. I hope new expendable parts will also extend the use of this appliance. I have to manually light the furnace, exactly according to instructions you were provided. I think a push-button ignition would be great, but if the vintage appliance will last a few more seasons, we might get an on-demand water heater when the technology becomes more widely used and the price drops some more.

Good luck with your appliances, too.

I'll let you know how my plan goes for the furnace cleaning. I'm not sure, but a professional company might do a better job of cleaning the vents. I hope we can do it well enough. It's hard to find people who are willing to get involved with vintage AS projects, and, anyway, the DIY aspect is part of the fun, in my opinion.

Best wishes,
IndyAnne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpovah View Post
Thanks! Will try that tomorrow night. The furnace seems to have a bunch of vents in the floor so it mist have a fan to push forced air through I bet. Will examine it more closely , likely it has something similar. I need a new fridge as well but the old Bailey had a propane fridge so I am familiar with those.
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Windsor , Nova Scotia
Thanks for your input IndyAnne! My ststem seems to work all right but so far I havent had need to use it. Will check out that recall info tho.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
(snip)

"I intend to brush and vacuum-sweep out the vents of our furnace. It's going to be tricky because the ducts run underneath the floor; and, previous owners sprayed foam insulation over the entire under-floor, including the frame, ductwork, and anything else that might be between the floor as deep as the frame, 3.5" to 4" or more in some areas"
(snip)

I had a '68 23' and it also had spray foam insulation and underfloor ducts in it. I believe that system was tried out by the factory for a while, and was not put on by a PO. All I recall now is that the heating system was great with no ductwork showing or taking up space in the cabinets, and it being very well insulated.

I wonder how common that was? Anyone else with 1968's that have foam floor insulation? (mine is long gone, sold it about 1984).
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Windsor , Nova Scotia
Hi idroba,

The infloor system with ducts is exactly what my 68 Tradewind has. Not sure about the insulation though because I haven't take the belly skins off to have a look. I might be into some sort of a floor repair in the bathroom at the rear though so I'll likely be finding out... : /

Tags
1968, 1968 airstream