Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2021, 09:24 AM   #81
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Dolores , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Here are some shots of the interior as found. This trailer did not have the new bath design. It was the old "sink over the tub" and "window seat hidden toilet" configuration. The trailer had a wardrobe and medicine cabinet in the bathroom. There was also a wardrobe in the galley, but I suppose for coats and hats and the like. My trailer is not the upmarket "International" trim, it is the base "Land Yacht" model. Nonetheless, the cabinetry was in pretty good shape. So was the tile flooring. It is a twin bed floor layout which was fine with me. The gaucho made into a sleeping surface as usual. Sleeps 4 the literature says. It doesn't say "comfortably".

The previous owner had removed the fridge, water heater and furnace. He told me he didn't trust gas appliances due to CO positioning and fire potential. Okay, I knew I had some major expenses to get the Trade Wind "self contained" again.

David
David, i read your reply last night and looked at your images. It looks like your trailer is identical to mine. Mine has some issues but im slowly working through some major issues, mainly repairing the glass. I decided on tempered glass for the back and side window. Thanks to you and several people providing assistance. Of course, when i got window frames measured, it snowed overnight... i dont have a shop but my trailer is real close to my garage. My trailer isn't in the greatest condition but I'm just happy to have a trailer since their hard to find nowadays. I bought mine in 94 so it has sit outside in SW Colorado. Thanks again, T
Time4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:09 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Maiden Voyage

You never finish a vintage Airstream. I believe mine is ready for a shake down travel trip. So we loaded up and headed out. The trailer tows just fine, especially with the new axles. All the major systems also performed as expected; water, electrical, appliances and the like. Nothing to repair when we got home.

I'm adding this project thread to the knowledge base in hopes it will provide some enlightenment to others with a similar Trade Wind. I think they are great vintage Airstreams.

If you have a question or comment, please post a reply and I will do likewise.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1509 Kenosha Pass 1 (Small).JPG
Views:	197
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	387290   Click image for larger version

Name:	1607 Wellington Trade Wind Castle crop (Small).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	387291  

WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:31 AM   #83
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
NOVI , MI
David,

Thank you for this great thread. I read through it and took screenshots of some key information for my '61. I look forward reading through the rest of Touring Dan's thread and the others related to this type of trailer.

I am going to start buying some key parts in the next couple weeks which is why I am studying as much as I can and taking notes. I have a friend that restores '54 Clouds (and many other types types trailers all of which are impressive) and have a call planned with him today to ask my laundry list of general project questions.

The funny thing is my parents and I bought our trailer on a whim when our pop up broke during our camping trip. Earlier during that trip we saw two 60s AS trailers (I have always been in love) and it took us down this rabbit hole on Facebook marketplace where we finally saw a local original trailer less than 31 feet AND it was on the way home from our trip with our pop up (my dad miraculously patched it well enough to get it back home to fix it up well and resell). If I knew then what I know now I wonder if we would have scared ourselves out of buying it in the first place or decided to buy one someone else already restored.

The main issue I will be fighting is the fact my dad and Uncle who are my highly skilled team do not appreciate the AS as anything more than another trailer so I constantly have to argue why we need to invest in the trailer now vs. take short cuts or use as is. I want it to last me through my lifetime I am in love with it. My mom told me this week to start buying the parts and do the research so I can explain the details of what we need to do and that my Uncle and dad will get on board since they hate the idea of wasted money. We are new to the RV lifestyle so a lot of my investigating related to understanding that aspect of the AS. We are used to 'tents on wheels' with plug in electric and the use of gas still scares us and we stay at state campgrounds with nice bathrooms.

I wanted to originally keep the trailer 95% original as purchased (PO added a water heater and I hate asbestos tiles with a passion so we are 70% done with taking them out to prep the floor for epoxy) but there are corroded faucets and we do not know if the refrigerator works (I am going to try to get it serviced). We need to add a bunk so we can maximize space and sleep as many as possible since we camp as a multi-generational family. I also go back and forth on if I want to switch to 100% solar or only update the existing wiring/improve it a bit.

Question 1: I plan to take apart some parts of the AS to update the wiring and if I find issues with the insulation then update some of it too. Were you able to minimize gutting the trailer and where did you focus on removing the walls? I love the original nature of the trailer and since mine is in great condition I want to keep what I can.

Question 2: Do you see an advantage with an above ground fresh tank vs. Under the floor? My original tank is under a bed and if we replace it I considered under the floor.

Question 3: Do I have to drop the axle to remove the belly pan (I will be doing all work shell on)? I considered going to Woodland Airstream for my axle replacement in late fall/winter after completing the frame repair and my major projects under the floor per their advice. This is the main area I wanted to get professionally done besides the fridge repair.

I appreciate you taking the time to read my longer introduction and questions. I wish you a healthy and safe 2021.
Oceana24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 07:43 AM   #84
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Blairstown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceana24 View Post

Question 1: I plan to take apart some parts of the AS to update the wiring and if I find issues with the insulation then update some of it too. Were you able to minimize gutting the trailer and where did you focus on removing the walls? I love the original nature of the trailer and since mine is in great condition I want to keep what I can.

Question 2: Do you see an advantage with an above ground fresh tank vs. Under the floor? My original tank is under a bed and if we replace it I considered under the floor.

Question 3: Do I have to drop the axle to remove the belly pan (I will be doing all work shell on)? I considered going to Woodland Airstream for my axle replacement in late fall/winter after completing the frame repair and my major projects under the floor per their advice. This is the main area I wanted to get professionally done besides the fridge repair.
1. When I began to remove walls in my '67, I found tremendous mouse infestation on the vertical portions, or the lower and middle sections of the walls. There was quite a bit of infestation behind the end caps as well. Removing those panels will allow you to replace much of the wiring, but there is a lot of wiring behind the ceiling panels as well. Many of the mid/late-60's trailers had aluminum wiring, which can be dangerous due to bad connections. Does your trailer have copper wire? What do you plan to update?

2. You have 4" under the floor if you plan to place a tank there. The water will be more likely to freeze, so if you plan to use the trailer in the winter, you should provide some sort of heat to the area. The same can be said for black and grey tanks under the floor.

3. I was able to remove the belly pan with the axles in place.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:27 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Oceana24- My response to your questions. My overall plan was really just use the trailer as is after making some minor repairs and then to make improvements as they popped into my pea brain. That is what I have done.

1. I never planned or saw a need to remove the wall coverings as my cabinets and other interior parts were fine. The wiring is fine. The 120v wiring is copper and even grounded. The 12v wiring is aluminum but it has not been a problem. The electrical loading on the 12v wiring is lower now than in the 60’s with led lights and fan motors being more efficient. For example, my original furnace needed about 6 amps to run the fan. My new furnace requires only 1.8 amps. I wouldn’t go into the walls unless there was a real need to.

2. Leave the water tank where it is. The dimensions are about 12x12x48. How are you going to fit this under your 4” floor area?

3. Remove the axle(s) then the belly pan then make your frame repairs. Your skilled team can replace the axles. Lots of information in AirForums about this. Order them from Colin Hyde.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:35 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Well HELLO rasmuw: It's been a while. I'm glad you found my documentation thread. I decided to post some notes and pictures I took during my project in hopes it might help out a fellow Airstreamer.

I hope you and your Trade Wind is doing okay. Always hopeful.

David
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
Old 05-28-2021, 10:53 AM   #87
1 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Racine , Wisconsin
David, hello again. We are in the middle of renovation on our 1966. The wiring was a little wonky. Like the outer lights, didn’t seam to be on the same circuit... and the mystery of where the water pump switch is. Any idea? Lol. This has been quiet a learning experience.
X-tine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:57 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi S-tine: Hope you are having fun renovating your vintage Trade Wind. The water pump switch is located above the fridge on the wall. It is a 120v light switch. Doesn't look like a water pump switch at all. Your water pump may no longer run.

The wiring in the mid sixties and later Airstreams is mostly aluminum. It can corrode at connections, outlets and switches. You ought to check them all, clean them up and grease them to reduce corrosion.

Here are wiring diagrams from my old owner's manual. They might clarify a few things for you.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1404 Trailer Wiring Diagram (Small).jpg
Views:	34
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	396422   Click image for larger version

Name:	1404 Exterior Lights Diagram-800x600.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	396423  

Tags