Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Jonesville , MI
1960 Tradewind Clean Up

Just completed our first road trip, approximately 1600 miles from Michigan to Utah. Everything went great but we hit a blizzard in Wyoming and now the trailer is covered in road grime.

Any suggestion on clean up?

The weather in Utah is getting cold, suggestions on winterizing the water system? I don't see a way to bypass the water heater, should I just drain it and put in RV antifreeze in the drains?

Thanks
djweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1960 Trade Wind Clean Up

Greetings djweir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djweir View Post
Just completed our first road trip, approximately 1600 miles from Michigan to Utah. Everything went great but we hit a blizzard in Wyoming and now the trailer is covered in road grime.

Any suggestion on clean up?
The most important issue is to get the chemicals used to melt ice off of your Trade Wind's skin as soon as possible. A good soap/shampoo product for modern automobile finishes should be good for your coach's aluminum. Be sure to rinse with plenty of clear water paying particular attention to seams and joints where the chemicals may have gotten while underway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djweir View Post
The weather in Utah is getting cold, suggestions on winterizing the water system? I don't see a way to bypass the water heater, should I just drain it and put in RV antifreeze in the drains?
[
The process will be slightly different depending upon whether your Trade Wind has its original "pressure-type" water system or a retrofit "demand-type" system. There are a number of threads on Winterization here on the Forums that involve either demand-type with water heater bypass as well as demand-type without water heater bypass. You may need to post your Winterization question to a separate post if you have the pressure-type water system.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1960, 1960 tradewind