Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2022, 06:23 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
McCullom Lake , Illinois
We have lift off.....

With the gantrys up and clear weather we started the process. All went fairly smooth. There was a healthy amount of vulkum between the shell and belly pan aluminum. So that took a fair amount of time to work free. But all in all seemed like everything went as hoped. My movers seemed to work nicely. This way I can move it out of the way to use the gantrys as the frame rotisserie. Looks like I may have gotten it low enough to were it may even fit in my garage door opening. That will be very close so I have not yet attempted that. So far so goodAttachment 420528Click image for larger version

Name:	20220730_191022.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	420529Click image for larger version

Name:	20220731_214449.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	420530Click image for larger version

Name:	20220730_164009.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	420531Click image for larger version

Name:	20220730_163939.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	420532Click image for larger version

Name:	20220730_163346.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	420533
Tradewind59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 06:38 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Congratulations: You have earned the "shell off merit badge". The gantrys are robust, the interior bracing looks solid, the dollies should allows you to move the shell okay.

Now you can use the old frame as the pattern for the new one. Make solid templates of the 4 body curves, front and rear, curb and street, maybe on a sheet of plywood. They are important for the new subfloor so you know it will fit the body when you marry the two back together.

There are several configurations of the "outriggers" that support the body edges to the frame. There are left and rights, front and rears, wheel well front and rear, and folding step outriggers. We paid about $25 each for store bought ones. I think a sheet metal shop with a laser or water jet could program, cut them, and bend them for you a bit cheaper. I don't know for sure.

Won't be long you will be in the "build phase" instead of the "demo" phase.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:05 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
McCullom Lake , Illinois
Subfloor off

After getting the shell off, the next day was dedicated to removing the C channel and Subfloor. All went well. Not too many surprises. Should have taken more pictures but forgot. Really too bad about the frame. Because it had been sanded and painted in the prior decade it was deceptively ok looking. The cross members and outriggers for rhe most part were in pretty good shape. But the problem lies within. The inside out rust in main frame rails had definitely taken hold.
While probably possible to band aid the issues and get another 10 maybe even 15 out of it. We are choosing to give it a whole new lease on life. We plan on keeping it for a long time and I really don't want to tear it apart in another 15 years.

So the plan is 2"x4"x0.125 "boxed frame. With 1/8" crossmember and outriggers in a 2"x4"x2" bend to form the c channel. Changing the stringers between the crossmembers to 1/8" x 1.5" flatstock. Changing to 50 degree A frame. All as per Mr. Hydes recommendations. I will be reusing my Coupler as it is a nice Atwood 2" that I belive is less than 10 years old and in good shape. Also will be reusing the original metal step and associated outriggers as they are in good shape. Click image for larger version

Name:	20220731_135807.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	420540
Old 08-06-2022, 09:22 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
McCullom Lake , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Congratulations: You have earned the "shell off merit badge". The gantrys are robust, the interior bracing looks solid, the dollies should allows you to move the shell okay.

Now you can use the old frame as the pattern for the new one. Make solid templates of the 4 body curves, front and rear, curb and street, maybe on a sheet of plywood. They are important for the new subfloor so you know it will fit the body when you marry the two back together.

There are several configurations of the "outriggers" that support the body edges to the frame. There are left and rights, front and rears, wheel well front and rear, and folding step outriggers. We paid about $25 each for store bought ones. I think a sheet metal shop with a laser or water jet could program, cut them, and bend them for you a bit cheaper. I don't know for sure.

Won't be long you will be in the "build phase" instead of the "demo" phase.

David
David

Thanks. Took a while to get here but hey...small bites. Since prior to the shell off and tear down I hade gotten the c channel bolts in and lined up. We decided to made a full floor template of the interior using construction walkway paper. Cut it exact to the C channel. Rolled it up and stored till ready. In theory we should be able to use as a template for the new floor by adding 1.5" to its perimeter (C channel width) . Curve templates are there too so fingers crossed that will work. As per Colin's advice the welders should be able to use the same C channel being used as the crossmembers, use their plasma table to set in the radius for the outriggers.

Although I am sure the tear down phase is the easier to the two. I am definitely ready to start building.
Old 08-06-2022, 04:54 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Couple of questions, have you considered making the new frame from 5 or 6 inch tube. More room for tanks and plumbing. The second question is.......have you considered converting it to a tandem with new torsion axles. Stock is perfectly fine too.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Airstream Forums mobile app
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 10:16 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
McCullom Lake , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
Couple of questions, have you considered making the new frame from 5 or 6 inch tube. More room for tanks and plumbing. The second question is.......have you considered converting it to a tandem with new torsion axles. Stock is perfectly fine too.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Airstream Forums mobile app
Aerowood

Well I don't really have a good answer unfortunately. I did think about making the frame rails taller, but two things stopped me. Probably both unwarranted though. I couldn't wrap my brain around how, if at all it would affect the profile of the bellypan and banana wraps. Also was a little concerned about the weight. Probably wouldn't add much but trying to keep it in the 4200 range hopefully as the original factory weight was around 3200. Realistically I know those concerns are addressable but I figured for my first attempt at this it was probably better I keep it simple. Easier for me to wrap my head around like for like.

For the axle we did go with 5000lb torsion. But opted to stay with single. Again no real reasoning there other than the kiss principle. I like the look of the single with the body style and I feel fairly comfortable with it. I guess we will see though.

I have been following your thread on your Globetrotter. That is a great renovation thread. A ton of great information and quality work. Been taking my time going through it. Good stuff.
Old 08-07-2022, 04:37 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
Williston , Vermont
Regarding out riggers, I wouldn’t worry too much about the radius. I came up with a solution that I would suggest you check out.using PVC trim board. I have pictures in post #93 in my Ambassador blog. - Mark
steinVT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 05:17 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
McCullom Lake , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinVT View Post
Regarding out riggers, I wouldn’t worry too much about the radius. I came up with a solution that I would suggest you check out.using PVC trim board. I have pictures in post #93 in my Ambassador blog. - Mark
Mark,

I appreciate the tip. I have been following your thread as well. I missed that the first read through. Went back and spent some time this weekend reading through it again. It is a very impressive build. The schematics and 3d rendering are top notch. Keep the suggestions coming. Need all the help I can get.

Bruce
Old 08-09-2022, 05:30 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
McCullom Lake , Illinois
The waiting game.

With the frame off to the fabricators. The waiting game has begun. Last weekend was mostly a wash between the weather and family commitments. Got a patch made for where the entry light goes next to the door. Looks like at some point someone decided to cut for a second screw on style porch light. Polished a bit behind were the patch will go and cut the patch. Not sure about riveting it on before the shell is back on properly. A little worried about flex and things wanting to be in a slightly different position.

I will continue to chip away at small things while waiting. Anyone have suggestions of things I should focus on now? Have a few things in mind but always looking for more.
Attachment 420708Click image for larger version

Name:	20220806_144433.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	420709
Old 08-10-2022, 06:25 PM   #50
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Banner Elk , NC
Following for sure. I hope to be where you are by next year.
Also I know I am new, but may I ask a favor? Is there anyway you could messure your frame when it gets back. My project has major frame rust, and I am going to have to almost build a new frame.
NCjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 05:56 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
McCullom Lake , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCjoker View Post
Also I know I am new, but may I ask a favor? Is there anyway you could messure your frame when it gets back. My project has major frame rust, and I am going to have to almost build a new frame.
NC

Glad to have you along. No worries. I am new to all this as well. There are a lot of super helpful people on here. I would encourage you to follow along with every restoration thread you can find. I feel like I pick up something new everyday on here.

As for the measurements. Let me see what I can do for you this weekend. I took some quick measurements and sketched it up before I dropped it off. Let me rewrite it so that people other than me can read it and I will send it off to you or post it here. Unfortunately I would be surprised if I got the frame in the next 3 weeks but fi gers crossed. Things are pretty booked up around here. Hopefully my rough draft will hold you over.

A work of caution though. Even though our trailers were made only four units apart., things were very much hand made back then. So things may be slightly different dimensionally. If you end up having a new frame fabricated I would encourage you use your frame as the jig or template.

Bruce
Old 08-14-2022, 06:22 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
McCullom Lake , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCjoker View Post
NC,

Here you go. Hope it helps. I overplayed a drawing of the frame on top of a shell sketch I did. Not CAD level. But should get you started. Your timing was good trying to layout my plumbing not to get tanks ordered.

Bruce

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	420973
Old 08-14-2022, 07:25 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
McCullom Lake , Illinois
Overlayed not overplayed. Yea.......
Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
McCullom Lake , Illinois
Another weekend of patiently waiting

So just some minor odds and ends last weekend.

Went through and scraped off all of the vulkem both old and newer from the bottom inside portion of the shell.
Power washed the inside of the shell and sanded the corrosion spots. We were fortunate in that there was very little corrosion there. Worked to remove all vent caps for replacement. And decided since the power washer was out, we did the roof. That had not yet been done and was desperately needed. Also started the top coat paint on the bumper

The big email came today. The axle should arrive at the welder this week. So that's pretty exciting. Attachment 421096Attachment 421097Attachment 421098Attachment 421099Attachment 421100Attachment 421101Attachment 421102Click image for larger version

Name:	20220814_154128.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	421103
Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
It's great to have the new axle at the frame fabricators shop. They can now get the axle mounting plate positioned and welded perfectly to fit the new axle, as well as the shock mounts in the right place, as well as the axle mounting bolt holes drilled into the axle mounting plate in the right place. Much easier that way than the way I did it.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags