Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravanner > 1952-1960 Caravanner
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2011, 07:07 AM   #381
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
I can only hope that my floor turns out as well. Great idea about putting it AROUND the cabinets etc in case of needed repair. Makes perfect sense!!
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:16 AM   #382
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
Amazing!

That looks great - it really ties the project together as a whole. You are doing such beautiful work.

Tina
oh2bcarefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:45 AM   #383
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Thanks everybody!

Big change in appearance and the trailer really looks done now, even though it isn't.

Didn't document it, but I'm also following Toastie's idea of putting a bead of Vulkem around the inside wall perimeter. Probably won't help much on water intrusion from a leak, but it can't hurt.

cheers,

steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #384
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
What are the odds?

Pretty good odds of finding two TV's with Airforums stickers in a little state park and even pretty good for having a couple of Airstreams. But, how about those two Airstreams both being 1957 Caravanners parked at Birch Bay State Park?

Island Girl just had her initial camping outing since her rebuild and she got to celebrate that with a meet with Prickly Pear and pienjim on their way back to Texas from Alaska with their new '57 Caravanner in tow. Just great to meet Jim and Paula and see a trailer that looks a whole bunch like mine did 2 1/2 years ago: nice skin, bad subfloor, and lots of potential.

As for Island Girl's shakedown, everything worked just fine. I fit in the shower and the toilet flushes. The ice cream freezes and the water gets hot. We ran everything electrical we had for two days in a very dark spot and rolled out with the batteries sitting on 12.9 volts. I do like LED's.

As the pictures show, the first cut of polishing is still in progress, but I'm closing in on it.

So much fun to get to attach faces to a forum name, see their trailer, and actually camp in ours. Brissy the cat is still recovering. Special thanks to our Hospice nurse who was willing to do his weekly visit with Pam while we were there.

Cheers,

steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000107.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	441.7 KB
ID:	134907   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000109.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	380.9 KB
ID:	134908  

Name:	P1000112.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	134909   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000110.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	1,023.2 KB
ID:	134910  

Old 07-15-2011, 08:08 PM   #385
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Beautiful Caravanners!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #386
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
She looks GREAT!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:46 AM   #387
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Congratulations Steve on the first trip in island girl! She looks great out where she belongs!
Doug

https://tinman54.blogspot.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:13 AM   #388
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
It is beautiful....
Old 07-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #389
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Thanks everybody!

Still lots to do, especially on the polishing end, but it did sure feel good to get her out camping.

And, so cool to meet up with Paula and Jim and their new trailer. Appreciate their effort to do it too, since they probably wound up adding several hundred miles to their already long long trip to do it.

cheers,
steve

Old 07-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #390
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wow Steve, she's looking great! Glad you TWO were able to get out! Enjoy!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #391
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post
Pretty good odds of finding two TV's with Airforums stickers in a little state park and even pretty good for having a couple of Airstreams. But, how about those two Airstreams both being 1957 Caravanners parked at Birch Bay State Park?

Island Girl just had her initial camping outing since her rebuild and she got to celebrate that with a meet with Prickly Pear and pienjim on their way back to Texas from Alaska with their new '57 Caravanner in tow. Just great to meet Jim and Paula and see a trailer that looks a whole bunch like mine did 2 1/2 years ago: nice skin, bad subfloor, and lots of potential.

As for Island Girl's shakedown, everything worked just fine. I fit in the shower and the toilet flushes. The ice cream freezes and the water gets hot. We ran everything electrical we had for two days in a very dark spot and rolled out with the batteries sitting on 12.9 volts. I do like LED's.

As the pictures show, the first cut of polishing is still in progress, but I'm closing in on it.

So much fun to get to attach faces to a forum name, see their trailer, and actually camp in ours. Brissy the cat is still recovering. Special thanks to our Hospice nurse who was willing to do his weekly visit with Pam while we were there.

Cheers,

steve
Steve,
I second all the accolades you've already received and just hope your new friends saw more positive potential than discouraging hard work when comparing the two. Certainly worth it work though!

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #392
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post

As for Island Girl's shakedown, everything worked just fine. I fit in the shower and the toilet flushes. The ice cream freezes and the water gets hot.
steve
Hi Steve
Glad to read the first test run went well. It sounded much better the ours which involved repeated trips to the local hardware store after various plumbing mishaps. And many spare towels.

But I think I see song new lyrics for the Antsy McClain and the Trailer Park Troubadours in your post. But fitting in the shower may have some connection to the consuming of that ice cream....so be careful!

But it is always beautiful music when everythings works.

Looking good!
Gary
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #393
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
...and we were thrilled to meet you, Steve. The extra miles were well worth it! Your Caravanner is coming along beautifully and it is inspirational to see what can be done.

We took the covers off the windows but went through a roll of gorilla tape trying to keep the vent covers and awning cover from blowing off. Who would have thought one could spend not only one night, but eight nights in an "as found" 54-year old Airstream!

Paula
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:43 PM   #394
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Gary , I'm not sure Antsy will have much to work with on my posts, but I did make the bathroom opening just big enough for my then current dimensions. If I steal too much of Pam's ice cream, I'll either have to do a bathroom redo or get another trailer.

Definitely good for the TWO of us, Marc. Almost didn't go since I didn't want to upset Pam with a new sleeping arrangement but she was just fine and Brissy freaked out all night instead.

Carol, I think Jim and Paula know they'll be able to get there with their trailer. Straight skin is worth so much and they're in good shape there. That pic below is mine when I first got it home. Looked a lot like theirs does now.

Hope the rest of your trip goes well, Paula, and that the gorilla tape holds. How did Pendleton go?

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010026.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	379.2 KB
ID:	135029  

Old 07-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #395
Dreaming of Streaming

2004 22' International CCD
Davis/SF , California
So glad to see you on the road! Sweet that the nurse came out there. And I love the floor. Hope I come across you all at a park someday!
Smiles,
Pink
Old 07-24-2011, 08:38 AM   #396
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Island Girl is just beautiful, Steve. You have done an amazing job, I'm in awe. Thanks so much for continuing to share your reno with the rest of us.

So, when are you starting on the next one???

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #397
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
Island Girl is just beautiful, Steve. You have done an amazing job, I'm in awe. Thanks so much for continuing to share your reno with the rest of us.

So, when are you starting on the next one???

-Marcus
Thanks, Marcus. Don't see another one happening, but never want to say never. One boat for 23 years, Island Girl is good for another 50, and considerably less left in me. Despite all those flaws that I can see, I'm winding up with a trailer that's really close to what I wanted.

- steve

Old 09-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #398
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Something Really Cool

We took the trailer to our first rally last year at the Tin Can Tourist Rally in Lynden, WA, only twelve miles away. Island Girl was an empty shell then, Alzheimer’s wouldn’t let us stay, and the weather was lousy. This year we got to do it right with a nearly complete trailer, and no problems from Alzheimer’s as we’re living in the trailer fulltime anyway. And, the weather was perfect. Lynden is a great, laid back rally where everyone is just into old trailers and some cool old cars as well.

Saturday afternoon a fella came to the door who greeted me with “You have no idea who I am.” When he said his name, though, I did know him as Harold was the son of the original owners of the trailer. He and his wife (they celebrated their honeymoon in the trailer) were visiting friends, had no knowledge of the rally, but happened to drive by when their planned route was closed for construction. They figured they’d just take a drive through the fairgrounds and look at some trailers, but happened to drive by one that was the same model his family had owned.

But, he saw the wheels and knew it was the trailer, not just the model. If you’ve followed this thread, you know we’d earlier made an email and telephone connection. He’d seen pictures and knew, even though we’d not been in contact for a year or so.

He and his mom have been on my mind. We’d earlier made tentative plans to ride the ferry out to Lopez Island to let her see her trailer when we got done with the work. But this weekend? Fate? The weather is good, things are fairly stable with Pam, so it’s a good time to make the trip, especially since Harold and Kathy are heading to Lopez for a month to celebrate his Mom’s 94th birthday. We’re going to try really hard to make the trip out there next week.

Very very hard to wipe the smile off my face right now.

cheers,
steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000135.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	139962   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000141.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	139963  

Old 09-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #399
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
Awesome!

Steve,
That is just great - things just work out as they should sometimes. Have a great time on the Ferry and to Lopez. You will always remember it!

Your trailer looks fabulous!! I am so glad to hear all is currently going well with Pam and the transition to the trailer has gone good!

Best,

Tina
Old 09-17-2011, 11:02 PM   #400
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Steve - Can't wait for your update on your ferry ride to Lopez & your visit with the soon-to-be 94 year old lady that was the original owner!! I'm sure she'll be pleased beyond measure to know somebody has loved the trailer enough to not only bring her back, but all the great updates you've done & that you cared enough to make the effort to travel & share your beautiful work with her. Please do let us know how that visit went!!

Tags
1957, 1957 caravanner