Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Pacer > 1959 Pacer
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #61
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
I met Wasagchris!

I can't believe that I got to meet Wasagchris in person. He stopped by for a bit yesterday and that was great to meet the person who has helped us a lot on getting our Airstream taken apart and then on other questions for the restoration. The bad news is he left and couldn't find a place to stay in Bismarck. I should have known he wouldn't be able to but my son said he had said he was going to get a room. Uffda. Here we sit with three extra empty bedrooms! Now I feel bad.....

However, it was nice to sit and visit with Chris and find someone who understands our crazy obsession with Airstreams. Our son gave him the tour of the partlially restored Albatross and the nothing but a new handle Pacer. He had some ideas for us on that which will come in handy. I hope he has a safe trip to Idaho and back home again. He has quite the trip planned across the US and back. He is going to have his work cut out for hiim for a number of years...unless he works a lot faster than we do!
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #62
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Manual maybe?

Does anyone know if there is a source for a manual for the 1959 Pacer? I tried a number of different places and figured it must not exist. I would like to find something if it is out there because it sure would save us some time trying to figure things out.
Sandy
Old 10-30-2011, 03:36 AM   #63
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
too early for a manual..
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #64
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Rats

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
too early for a manual..
Uffda then. Is there a good resource for the different systems like the air pressure water tank, Duette stove, Marvel refrigerator, etc. and how to restore these old Airstreams or do you have to learn by doing? Any recommendations?
Thanks.
Sandy
Old 10-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #65
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
More ideas than money

I was out today for a bit after I got out of class and took some photos. One is of the pump under the front seating area and I wondered if someone had added this sometime down the line. I am not sure what is what but I thought the handle on the line was interesting.

I also took some photos of some colors I am entertaining. My husband thinks I am getting way, way ahead of myself but I think it isn't too soon to be thinking about the curtains, upholstery, flooring, etc. The first things first right?
Sandy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1215[1].jpg
Views:	133
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	144100   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1228[1].jpg
Views:	139
Size:	400.8 KB
ID:	144101  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1220[1].jpg
Views:	145
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	144102  
Old 10-31-2011, 02:59 AM   #66
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
that is a sump pump. It is very far from original to the trailer. Seeing that leads me to think you are going to find many creative home spun repairs. Was this trailer bought from an old farmer? They are the worst at rigging it back together.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:08 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
that is a sump pump. It is very far from original to the trailer. Seeing that leads me to think you are going to find many creative home spun repairs. Was this trailer bought from an old farmer? They are the worst at rigging it back together.
Now, now, Frank. My DH is an old farmer & he'd disagree with you on that! They can put together anything without reading a single manual and know how to fix everything, even though they've never read about or seen it before! Wait....I think that's men in general!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:40 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae

Now, now, Frank. My DH is an old farmer & he'd disagree with you on that! They can put together anything without reading a single manual and know how to fix everything, even though they've never read about or seen it before! Wait....I think that's men in general!
I bet he also doesn't need a map or directions to drive anywhere right?

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:10 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
I bet he also doesn't need a map or directions to drive anywhere right?
Never...he says he's like a pigeon. Luckily, my phone has GPS for when we get lost (like last week)! Gotta love him, tho!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 10-31-2011, 01:44 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
Never...he says he's like a pigeon. Luckily, my phone has GPS for when we get lost (like last week)! Gotta love him, tho!
He was never lost!! He knew where he was at all times, it was just difficult to get where he wanted to go!

Am I getting it right?

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
Old 10-31-2011, 06:57 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
He was never lost!! He knew where he was at all times, it was just difficult to get where he wanted to go!

Am I getting it right?
That's it

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 10-31-2011, 07:13 PM   #72
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
To save my soul...or something like it

Just to save my soul, I am going to stay out of this one. Having been married to the same man for a long, long time, I am going to stay out of this no matter what. Not that I am not tempted.... Plus coming from a farming state, I won't comment on farmer repairs or the kings of creativity-farmers.

On another note, the PO that I bought this one from called wanting to know if I wanted the other AS he has, a 1966 Safari. I called him today and told him we would have to decline at the price he was asking. He seems to be a nice guy but....I told him if he could get the price he was asking, to sell it and not think twice about us. I knew he was asking much more than was what we could pay given all the work it needed. He sounded disappointed but I figured we could wait and the right one would appear. So I remain, still looking....and happy as a clam to have the two we have.
Sandy
Old 10-31-2011, 07:43 PM   #73
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
If there's a price you'd buy it, what do you have to loose by making that offer? It might take him a month or 6, but he might take it. Right now, he's sort of shadow boxing. You can word the offer in a way that's not offensive to him. Just my .02
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:13 PM   #74
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Thanks...I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
If there's a price you'd buy it, what do you have to loose by making that offer? It might take him a month or 6, but he might take it. Right now, he's sort of shadow boxing. You can word the offer in a way that's not offensive to him. Just my .02
I think the same way. I believe he is entertaining an idea that people are desperate for Airstreams and since it has all of the original windows, he could sell it for a premium. I hope he can but it won't be from me. I wouldn't mind getting it but not at that price. Can't blame a guy for trying but I don't have that kind of money to spend and then turn around and spend another $15,000 on repairs before I could use it.

Gee, now if I could be heir to one of these oil wells around here...just my luck I am a working stiff and no relatives with money or shares in an mineral acres. I guess there are worse things....
Sandy
Old 11-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #75
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Next question

The Duette stove and oven in this Pacer look like new except for the top which needs some serious renewal. All that I have read so far said these are supposed to be Princess stoves and I find no mention of Duette. I am curious if anyone knows what is supposed to be in there as far as the stove/oven combo is concerned.

Next question would be how you can restore these stoves when the metal on the top is pitted. I cleaned the entire inside of the trailer and it looks pretty good but the stove won't clean up because there is deterioration of the metal on the stovetop. Suggestions? Do I look for a replacement Princess stove or renovate what is there after we try to see if it works first?
Sandy
Old 11-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan
The Duette stove and oven in this Pacer look like new except for the top which needs some serious renewal. All that I have read so far said these are supposed to be Princess stoves and I find no mention of Duette. I am curious if anyone knows what is supposed to be in there as far as the stove/oven combo is concerned.

Next question would be how you can restore these stoves when the metal on the top is pitted. I cleaned the entire inside of the trailer and it looks pretty good but the stove won't clean up because there is deterioration of the metal on the stovetop. Suggestions? Do I look for a replacement Princess stove or renovate what is there after we try to see if it works first?
Sandy
Sand blasting and then powder-coating it with a flecked pattern might hide the pitting at least. If none of the edges are corroded it would be pretty difficult to tell anything was wrong. But yes, I have only heard of Princess stoves. Then again, they were so customizable that anything probably goes

Old 11-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #77
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Sounds professional

Quote:
Sand blasting and then powder-coating it with a flecked pattern might hide the pitting at least. If none of the edges are corroded it would be pretty difficult to tell anything was wrong. But yes, I have only heard of Princess stoves. Then again, they were so customizable that anything probably goes
Thanks for that info. There must be local places that can do this sandblasting and painting. Is this something we could do here if we got a sandblaster and sprayer or is it best left to professionals? The stove looks like it is in relatively good shape so if we can salvage it, I would prefer it. It almost appears to have been original because the outside vent cover says Duette on it too. Interesting.

I can hardly wait to start getting this beautiful little trailer apart. Whoa...I guess we still have one trailer in pieces. I have to learn to be patient. Besides that, the ND winter will soon be here.
Sandy
Old 11-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #78
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
What to replace the vent with, gas, and other questions

Questions on the 1959 Pacer,
I can see daylight through the edges of the roof vent in the center of the trailer with the vent "closed". When I look at the top of the trailer on the outside, the metal vent cover is flattened like someone sat on it. I think the gears are stripped with the knobs that pull it in because of the damage to it or just use over a long time. My question is, what do I replace it with so I can stop any more water damage over the winter?

This is clearly not a trailer with no leaks as the PO said to me about ten thousand times. I have looked at a couple of different vent types but not sure which one to get that would fit and would keep in that vintage look.

Another question is that my dearest wants a gas light in the Pacer. I have looked around and am not seeing a lot that fits with 1959. We are looking for something in silver or gray perhaps that we can mount on the side of the overhead cabinets above the sink and stove. Can I just tell him I can't find one and since he doesn't read my posts, he'll never know? More advice?

Last question for today, is it smart to replace some of the glaring problems on the Pacer before winter such as outside clearance lights having new rectangular replacements and there are open rivet holes where the triangular lights were supposed to be. I am not sure if the two in the front are supposed to be amber and the two in the back are supposed to be red. I think those are some things I could do myself while my husband works on the Alabatross. Maybe I could...with some guidance I think I could.
Sandy
Old 11-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
The lights on the front of the trailer should be amber & the rear red. Vintage Trailer supply has tear drop lights that you could replace the rectangular ones with. If you have open rivet holes, you should plug them before winter sets in. If you're going to replace them in the spring, you could just put a squirt of Vulkem in the holes to hold you over until you get to them. You can peel it off pretty easily & clean it up with Lacquer thinner when you're ready for a more permanent solution. I just did mine & had the same problem as you (rectangular lights instead of teardrops) There were extra holes too & that's what I did until I got to replacing them.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 11-14-2011, 04:52 AM   #80
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Old man winter

Hi Sandy,
Boy you sure have your life filled with Airstreams right about now, huh?
There is an old gas lamp for sale in the classified section. Here is a link.
If the color isn't what you want, you can always sand blast it and paint it another color like gray or silver. You could also have it chromed or powder coated.
As for the vent, I would recommend a Fantastic vent. If you can wait a while, remove the old vent cover and seal it up with a patch and aluminum foil tape until you are ready to make a permanent install. I have heard that you can attach an original Hehr vent lid to a Fantastic vent opening mechanism. VTS has some info on their website about this.
Definitely you want to cover up any holes to keep the weather out. That aluminum foil tape will do you wonders!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags