Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Pacer > 1959 Pacer
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2012, 06:42 AM   #201
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
Besides, as the family grows later in life, I'll need a bigger trailer, so I'll have a chance to make Knight's big brother even better.
And thus the aluminitis grows.

My 4-year-old daughter has already claimed the Overlander as her own when she grows up. I'll have to restore another one for my 2-year-old son, and then maybe I'll get to do one for myself. I just saw a '47 Curtis Wright on Austin Craigslist, maybe that's the one I'll do just for the wife and me...
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:06 AM   #202
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Doing some spring cleaning. Set aside the hinges and other vintage items that we will be re-using, and decided what remaining items we are going to sell to fund this project. However, before I post it on the classifieds and eventually eBay, I thought I would give my avid thread followers first pickings. Message me if you need any of it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3835075823.png
Views:	145
Size:	972.4 KB
ID:	155254   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1004948.png
Views:	145
Size:	824.3 KB
ID:	155255  

Name:	image-3817978900.png
Views:	147
Size:	860.2 KB
ID:	155256  

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #203
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
Thanks for the encouragement!

Quote:
First off, you'll be OK, I promise. Don't get dismayed or persuaded from doing it as long as you are semi-handy. It sounds like if you already have some "normal" tools you'll be fine. I think the main accessories will be pop-riveting gun (which I know you asked about on the other thread), an air-powered buck-riveting gun, and some good aviation snips. Of course, you will need some sort of polishing device, be it an angle grinder, drill, or compound polisher. Cyclo is a nice touch, but not mandatory.

Other than those basic tools and the associated rivets, you will need
many tubes of Trempro 635 / Vulkem
gallons of mineral spirits/ paint thinner
lots and lots of elbow grease

Thanks for reading the whole thread, glad it helped. The learning curve really wasn't that bad on all this. I started out knowing practically nothing related to sheet metal, insulation, or true woodworking, and now have done it all. There are certainly errors in my methods here and there, but it'll do. Besides, as the family grows later in life, I'll need a bigger trailer, so I'll have a chance to make Knight's big brother even better.

Now, finish up that GT so we can see the 18' Traveler-- it's a little more my style....
I have probably 50-60 hours of reading so far, so I think I know where I'm going to start (FRAME first). I'll take your advice and just start "collecting" as many tools as I think I'll need. I have started with a "multi tool" from sears, removing the bolts under the C-channel that bolts the shell to the floor, and I have removed two interior skins and old insulation, so I'm off!

Yeah, it's going to be awhile before I get to the 18'ter, but boy I can't wait. I just love the little trailers!

I would take some of those items, but I'm not sure what's what at this point. That's good forum etiquite though, I'm sure someone will take what you have.

Thanks in advance,
TIMK

TAC CA-77
REDSLED88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #204
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Glendale , California
beautiful trailer

You seem like the the right guy to organize some SoCal rallies.your trailer is beautiful.
silverbacksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:31 AM   #205
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbacksurfer View Post
You seem like the the right guy to organize some SoCal rallies.your trailer is beautiful.
Well thank you. Maybe once she is complete I will try to host some boondocking rallies. They will of course have zero hookups and be in the middle of nowhere, but if people are interested, I'll make it happen.

On the renovation note, been getting some work in on her here and there. The last week and weekend I have been doing some touch ups on woodworking, re-trimming the memory foam mattress after it fully expanded, starting to build a water heater enclosure, and most importantly, doing all the electrical.

Attached are pictures of what I have so far:
(2) Group 27 Batteries -Everstart brand from Walmart. IIRC, they are 115 AH each. I mounted them in a battery box I made with poly'd sides and silicone-sealed seams. The top of the box has a gasket and hold-down clasps. The vent tubing is designed per this calculator: Batteries H2 Vent - Free Hydrogen Vent Calculator
Although I used a different design from what's on their website because of the low airflow required and the fact that thermal effects will not be enough to counteract the dispersion of any generated Hydrogen from the box. These vent tubes route up to the streetside vents under the galley counter.

Also installed the PD4045 converter/breakers/fuses. I have a basic 120V system and am starting to wire up the relays for the inverter power to the breakers. As you can see, put in the tank level monitor and the CO/LP detector, but haven't yet wired up either. Soon.

I also finally got a spare wheel/tire and cover to go on the rear. It's not a special brand or anything (forget off the top of my head), but it will act as a temporary to get to a tire shop.

That's all for now.

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
Old 04-16-2012, 12:32 AM   #206
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Oops. Here's those electrical photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream electrical 01.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	155944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream electrical 02.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	308.0 KB
ID:	155945  

Name:	Airstream electrical 03.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	155946  

Old 04-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #207
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
Solid work!

Really like the battery box.
Hey Peter, how did you strip your interior?

I used Kleen Strip Aircraft Paint Remover, applied 3 times, but still am not getting the desired results for Zolatone removal. (residual left over in spots)

Thanks in Advance,

TIMK

TAC CA-77
Old 04-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #208
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSLED88 View Post
Really like the battery box.
Hey Peter, how did you strip your interior?

I used Kleen Strip Aircraft Paint Remover, applied 3 times, but still am not getting the desired results for Zolatone removal. (residual left over in spots)

Thanks in Advance,

TIMK
Weird, I used the same stuff. Applied liberally, let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour, and then used plastic paint scrapers followed by plastic dish cleaning sponges (the kind that look like loofahs). I learned toward the end that getting new paint scrapers more often was well worth it compared to the energy it took to make worn scrapers work.

In some cases, I would have to put all my force into those tools to get the stuff to come off. The worst was where the stucco on top of two layers of paint on top of Zolatone somehow made this super-paint with incredible adhesion properties.

The results are more than worth it though. Of course, some people just buy all new aluminum. I preferred to use the original, because it gets to a point after replacing the floor, replacing all the wood, replacing the appliances, etc..... that you basically just built your own trailer with the ribs and window frames as a pattern. I had to draw the line somewhere.

Anyway, Good luck!!!

Old 04-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #209
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Oops. Here's those electrical photos.
Nice! Looks like you are getting a lot of use out of your pocket hole jig.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:57 PM   #210
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
Nice! Looks like you are getting a lot of use out of your pocket hole jig.
Of course! I love that thing. However, I'm getting closer and closer to not needing it for awhile.

Going to Coachella this weekend, but after I return, I'm starting in full force on the water system and framing the front sofa. My custom water heater / outdoor shower box is almost done, so I'll have to include some photos soon.

After that, I'm putting in the fridge and framing up the wardrobe and remaining curbside cabinets.

Then I'll have to find excuses to use the jig.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #211
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Of course! I love that thing. However, I'm getting closer and closer to not needing it for awhile.

Going to Coachella this weekend, but after I return, I'm starting in full force on the water system and framing the front sofa. My custom water heater / outdoor shower box is almost done, so I'll have to include some photos soon.

After that, I'm putting in the fridge and framing up the wardrobe and remaining curbside cabinets.

Then I'll have to find excuses to use the jig.
I am thinking of purchaseing that Kreig Jig you have. Looks like a great tool. I would love to take a look at your trailer in person sometime
Have fun at Cochella my daughter is going. Throw up some West Coast for me if you see Snoop Dogg!
P.S. I heard they are runnin a hologram of Tupac on stage, creepy.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #212
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
I am thinking of purchaseing that Kreig Jig you have. Looks like a great tool. I would love to take a look at your trailer in person sometime
Have fun at Cochella my daughter is going. Throw up some West Coast for me if you see Snoop Dogg!
You're more than welcome to see it. I'll be there basically every Sunday after this one, so if you or anyone else reading this wants to stop off the 405 around Torrance area, let me know via PM/email. I just booked my campsites for a NorCal/ Oregon National Parks and Monuments trip with the trailer for 10 days around 4th of July, and I want to have all the major appliances and systems done by then. 9 weeks to do it, so you can bet I'll keep to my Sunday routine.

Coachella will be excellent. Creepy is exactly the way I would describe the Tupac thing, but the engineer side of me is incredibly intrigued. Then again, that's half the reason I'm going. It's not just the music, but my curiosity about this crazy festival.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:04 AM   #213
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos

You're more than welcome to see it. I'll be there basically every Sunday after this one, so if you or anyone else reading this wants to stop off the 405 around Torrance area, let me know via PM/email. I just booked my campsites for a NorCal/ Oregon National Parks and Monuments trip with the trailer for 10 days around 4th of July, and I want to have all the major appliances and systems done by then. 9 weeks to do it, so you can bet I'll keep to my Sunday routine.

Coachella will be excellent. Creepy is exactly the way I would describe the Tupac thing, but the engineer side of me is incredibly intrigued. Then again, that's half the reason I'm going. It's not just the music, but my curiosity about this crazy festival.
Awsome! I will pm you my email and we will hook up. This will come in handy as I am trying to plan my electrical.
I booked my anual trip to patricks point state park above oregon around the 4th of july. Where are you going? Mc kinleyvile has a really fun 4th of july celebration. Lots of food and music. Make sure to stop at praire creek redwoods lots of great hikeing. There is even a great swimming hole on the smith river just outside cresent city. If you are interested I can give some great places. I grew up in nor cal ad spent most of my life camping the north coast.
Have fun at cochella!
Old 04-19-2012, 12:46 AM   #214
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Awsome! I will pm you my email and we will hook up. This will come in handy as I am trying to plan my electrical.
I booked my anual trip to patricks point state park above oregon around the 4th of july. Where are you going? Mc kinleyvile has a really fun 4th of july celebration. Lots of food and music. Make sure to stop at praire creek redwoods lots of great hikeing. There is even a great swimming hole on the smith river just outside cresent city. If you are interested I can give some great places. I grew up in nor cal ad spent most of my life camping the north coast.
Have fun at cochella!
You're kidding me!!! We are going to be at Patrick's Point on the 5th and 6th!

The itinerary is:
Lassen Volcanic NP 6/29-7/2--> Lava Beds NM -->
Crater Lake NP 7/2-7/5--> Oregon Caves NM -->
Redwoods NP 7/5-7/7 (Patrick's Point)--> SF 7/8

If you're there the same dates, then maybe we should just go ahead and make this an ad hoc rally. You hear me, all you West Coast thread followers?

And as for the north coast, yes... out of all the trips I've done, backpacking the Lost Coast is still in my top 3. Purely incredible.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #215
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos

You're kidding me!!! We are going to be at Patrick's Point on the 5th and 6th!

The itinerary is:
Lassen Volcanic NP 6/29-7/2--> Lava Beds NM -->
Crater Lake NP 7/2-7/5--> Oregon Caves NM -->
Redwoods NP 7/5-7/7 (Patrick's Point)--> SF 7/8

If you're there the same dates, then maybe we should just go ahead and make this an ad hoc rally. You hear me, all you West Coast thread followers?

And as for the north coast, yes... out of all the trips I've done, backpacking the Lost Coast is still in my top 3. Purely incredible.
Hahaha! That's awsome, I am going to be at Patricks Point 7/1-7/8. Definatly going to hook up with you before then. That whole area is so great my kids still bug me every year to go. And they are at the ages where I thought I would have to kidnap them if I wanted to see em!
Are you taking 5 north thru red bluff on the way to Lassen? I learned to ski there btw. If so stop at my dads mexican spot and load up on the best mexican food you will ever get. When we buy chips and salsa they never make it back to LA! Its called Franciscs Pronto Market its on antelope bl (which turnes into 99) right before the lassen junction.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #216
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Quote:
The Kreig jig is the only way to go, I have had mine for 20 plus years and love how quick and easy it makes cabinet frames!
Doug

https://tinman54.blogspot.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #217
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
Quote:
My custom water heater / outdoor shower box is almost done, so I'll have to include some photos soon.
Peter, please do post some more info on the water heater/outdoor shower.... I'm going this route, as we tend to boondock, and an outside shower is a great way to go.
Pics of water heater, wiring, hoses, and anything else would be much appreciated.

And pics of the Jig also!

The north coast sounds fun, but I've got lots of work left before I make the maiden voyage. Have fun!

Thanks in advance,
TIMK

TAC CA-77
Old 04-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #218
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Glendale , California
out door shower SCANDVIK RECESSED SHOWER 12109

THIS IS A REALLY QUALITY FIXTURE MAID IN ITALY CHECK IT OUT .Scandvik Recessed Shower 12109 - Discount Yacht Supplies, Vetus Nautical Accessories, Scandvik Parts, Garmin Marine Electronics . I HAVE PHOTO OF IT ON THE PEX THREADS http://www.airforums.com/forums/f446...pex-89885.html
silverbacksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #219
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Woodland Hills , California
I may have a great axle for you. Ewe put my 4200 lb Atlas axle on my trailer about five years ago. It has less than 4000 miles on it and is in great condition. I just dropped my trailer off in TO to get a 6000 lb Dexter installed. My trailer came out beautiful and has been featured in Airstream Life Dec 2005 "Globetrotter Gone Hollywood". I neglected to weigh my trailer before I finished all the new cabinets. Through trial and error, I finally realized that adding close to 1100 lbs that my axle would not be sufficient for the added weight. I have been everywhere with my trailer. I am sailor and surfer and completely love my trailer. My buddy was a ship wright and we designed it to look similar to a Choy Lee sailboat. Let me know if you are interested in my axle. All the best, Kenny
kennyp315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #220
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Woodland Hills , California
Also, Silverbacksurfer and Marzboy are friends of mine as well. I would also like to see your trailer
kennyp315 is offline   Reply With Quote