Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Pacer > 1959 Pacer
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2007, 01:42 PM   #1
er1
2 Rivet Member

1959 17' Pacer
Apollo Beach , Florida
1959 Pacer ...worth a shot?

I have a chance to buy a 58 Pacer..for around $2500. Has nice skin some minor repair work on the exterior. Interior has been gutted. What do you guys think? Is it worth it? This will be my first attempt at restoring a trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	31642  
er1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
With the exception of the skin around the step in this picture, the rest of the exterior looks good and if the rest is as good as you say, then it is a great candidate for refurbishment. Is the interior completely gutted and this is just a shell and frame on wheels? These smaller trailers are in high demand because of the smaller tow vehicles that can be used and can be parked in tight spots including most driveways. As for the price, I'd need to see more pictures to make that determination. Are the windows intact and all working? How's the floor, strong and stable? AC work? Does the frame have any serious rust? What kind of axle and how is the suspension? Lots of questions to have answered before making a determination.

Best of luck. It looks to have tons of potential.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I agree with FF. I am looking for a samll project trailer and they are few and far between.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:12 PM   #4
er1
2 Rivet Member

1959 17' Pacer
Apollo Beach , Florida
It has been about eight months since i've seen it in person. I'm heading over tommorow to give it a real good once over. The interior sub floor has been replaced. Not sure of the quality of that application. The toilet is intact and all interior components are there ..just not in place. Frame/ axel is the big question. I'm a bit scared on that regard. Just from a work standpoint...I'd like to do all the rehab myself. The tear below the door is pretty ugly. But should be fixable. I've been looking for a AS for a while...lot f junk out there. This little on just speaks to me.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:15 PM   #5
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Best of luck and certainly offer less by pointing out the step area and any other areas of concern. Is it tow ready? That would also be a concern. Ask the seller about the history of the trailer while he's had it plus any history he may know previously. If it's from a wet climate, check the frame and belly skin.

Let us know what you find decide.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I would agree that it is repairable that's just a belly pan tear. We've seen more than one Airstream up for sale where a PO completely took off the belly pan, stopped the restoration, then put it up for sale. There's nothing left to work from in that case!

You should expect to do an axle replacement on anything 30 or more years old -- or would do so within a few years, so why not now when facing a major renovation. 1958 -- for sure! The frame condition becomes the remaining large question.

Re-using the current frame will demand that you keep any interior restoration about as lightweight as the original -- good thing you'd have the original cabinets to work from. Good luck!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Take a ton of pictures inside and underneath and post them. How long has it been sitting? In my view the hardest thing to do is exterior panel replacement and that's been done by many on the forum so it's not un-do-able. Otherwise the rest is pretty much like building a very small house. I realize it's not that simple but it's also not that difficult either. With patience, a realistic budget, and sweat equity you could have a beautiful trailer. It is in the size range that many are looking for. Keep us posted.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:46 PM   #8
er1
2 Rivet Member

1959 17' Pacer
Apollo Beach , Florida
Thanks for all the feedback. I have rehabed several homes in the past...so the interior work doesnt worry me..too much But your right ...the frame is the real question. And I have not worked with steel in the past. Any tips on what constitutes a go/no go. (frame wise) Surface rust isnt an issue ( I assume) but what about spotty corrosion/rotting? Is it possible to do all the frame rehab w/ out completely separating the trailer from the fram. Thanks again.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Here are two different web resources from vintageairstream.com. They actually have photos of 2 different '58 Pacers. Countless hours for no pay will be needed -- but these are irreplaceable Airstreams!
58Pacer
Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:43 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

58 Pacer

I restored a 58 Pacer last year. It was the low cost Airstream in 58. It had a leaf spring axle that was in great shape. Even the original brakes that worked very well. So check this one out, it may still be OK. The leaf springs don't necessarily wear or age like the early Henschen axles (started in 62) do. Frame wise I had to redo the tongue and add a cross frame member to replace the one that was right under the rear trunk door. This was done with the plywood floor removed. I replaced all the floor and fixed the frame w/o doing a shell off. Pixs at :

1958 Airstream Pacer

BTW we gave this trailer away last October.
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:11 PM   #11
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I'm not sure if it is road worthy, It looks like it is missing the tire / wheel on the curb side. The shell looks very good...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by er1
I have a chance to buy a 58 Pacer..for around $2500. Has nice skin some minor repair work on the exterior. Interior has been gutted. What do you guys think? Is it worth it? This will be my first attempt at restoring a trailer.
Congrats on your find! I would say "go for it". You can always turn around and resell it if you end up thinking you bit off more than you could chew, so to speak.

Good luck!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
That is just as cute as a button....That would be hard to pass on. Good luck with your decision and may the Aluminum Gods be shining down upon you at inspection!
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:48 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
My opinion is, that if this cute little trailer spoke to you, then you should be more than happy to give it a good loving home.
Bob,
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:50 PM   #15
er1
2 Rivet Member

1959 17' Pacer
Apollo Beach , Florida
Well. ....I bought it $1800! Good= skin is in great shape. No leaks. The subfloor 1/2 good 1/2 bad. Frame looks pretty good...lot of surface rust..some bent angle iron pieces. Leaf springs look ok? The bad= needs new gasket seals around all windows/door. Belly pan totally ahot/removed. The front part of the frame(hitch area was cut and replaced at some point. But looks ok. Front window glass is broken. Tires are garbage. Oven/stove is there just unhooked. Toilet is not original

Now for the real surprise. The original Zolotone Its all there and in great shape other than the grunge.

The axel is the real question mark. Do I dare tow it w/ new tires or should I have it towed on a flat bed? Leaning toward the flat bed. All in all I'm pretty excited..I pick it up Sat. Thanks for all the input. My camera bat. Died so no pics for now. Post them soon.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:03 PM   #16
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Many congrats!! You will love this era of vintage. Can't wait to see pictures. How far do you need to tow it to get it home? I towed ours from northern CA to Phx on an unknown axle. Had new rims, tires and a good lube and we were all set. Check the wheels, if split rims, replace them becuase if you encounter a blow out, no one will work on split rims. Best to prepare ahead of time.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:24 PM   #17
er1
2 Rivet Member

1959 17' Pacer
Apollo Beach , Florida
Towing it about 7-10 miles...we'll see
Old 02-01-2007, 01:25 PM   #18
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhawk
My opinion is, that if this cute little trailer spoke to you, then you should be more than happy to give it a good loving home.
Bob,
Bob- Boy do I feel better after your post! I thought I was going crazy when I started hearing Airstreams talking to me! Nice to know I am not the only one who hears those voices!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
Bob- Boy do I feel better after your post! I thought I was going crazy when I started hearing Airstreams talking to me! Nice to know I am not the only one who hears those voices!
Maybe we are both crazy, but that's O.K. My 64 Safari said take me home with you, so I did. The next day it told me that it's name was Silverhawk. We still talk all the time.
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:12 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Congrats on the purchase! As far as the axle goes, you said it has leaf springs. Mine does too and the axle is square and solid metal. I was suprized at that and I think mine is okay. I would worry more about wheel bearings. Mabey you could jack each side up and give the wheels a spin to asess the bearings.
vonkamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags

« - | Top | Unknown Pacer? »