Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Toronto , Ontario
Would this be a really bad idea - 1964?

Okay. My AS sits on some property I own and she will NEVER be moved... though who knows? Maybe someday, if I'm really broke, she'll have to be sold along with the land (heaven forbid).

She's in really good, original shape, as I think you'll see from the pics. The bathroom is all original but it has major plumbing issues and my property is in a wilderness setting where there is only one plumber for miles and miles around... and he's also a lobster fisherman, i.e. almost NEVER available. He also grits his teeth painfully whenever he has to do work on my trailer!

What he's been begging me to do is to build an outdoor toilet and shower, and disconnect the bathroom plumbing (I have a well and a septic). But does it make sense to have a non-working bathroom taking up that space?

Would I be out of my mind to take out the bathroom and turn it into an "office"? (I'm a writer.) The thought of losing the original stuff does not make me happy.

So... what would YOU do?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my domain.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	181488   Click image for larger version

Name:	kitchen.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	387.7 KB
ID:	181489  

Name:	living room.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	376.3 KB
ID:	181490   Click image for larger version

Name:	loo.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	181491  

wigwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Nice trailer...
Personally, I do not see why you would disconnect your indoor plumbing, I would get it working right unless it will cost you $$$$.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Don't move it out side. The plumbing in there is simple and accessible if you do it right...use PEX I believe you could do it too.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Is that Maine? We have family in Stonington, we just love the area. Me I say hell no. Find some one who is willing to work in cramped spaces, maybe even mobile RV repair person, a good handy man could do most of the work.

It's looks like a rear bath, do you have a hatch under the back window? If so a lot of that stuff is easy to get too. 2nd on the pex, good plumbing and reportedly it will not break as easily if it freezes.

Since your using if as a park model, you could even have the black holding tank removed and direct plumb everything in. Again that would require someone willing to jack up the trailer, remove the rear belly pan to do the work.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
So, what exactly is wrong with the airstream plumbing?

Have you considered hooking the trailer up to the well and septic system? That should be the same as having full hookups I would think.

Really nice trailer and location btw!

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
As all have said and I reiterate, don't take out the plumbing, fix it or get it fixed. There is tons of help on this forum. Many will be very willing to help you iron out your problems.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question Only the bathroom.....

.......with plumbing issues?

From the photos the fixtures, sink, tub etc, look to be in excellent condition.

I agree with the others, leave it as is or repair. The trailer is much too nice and removing would diminish the value way beyond recovery.

They are only original once.

Bob
Old 03-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Toronto , Ontario
Okay. I think I know what NOT to do! I just have a cranky plumber, I guess.

It is, in fact, hooked up, in a very seasonal way, to the septic and well... garden hose and flexible pipe. I'll see what I can do about sorting out the problems. Most people down there - it's Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Silverstream - just don't "get" the idea of vintage. "Tear it out! Start over!" That's what I hear all the time. But I know how special it is. I won't do anything stupid.

I wish I was handy... I absolutely am not! And I also can't get Internet there, so the step-by-step process won't work. Will be there five weeks this summer and will somehow figure it out.

Thanks loads, everyone, for restoring my sanity.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
If you cant fix it, you could always get a second Airstream with a working bathroom and park it next to that one!
I have heard of stranger things......
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Los angeles , California
Send a message via AIM to Protohyp
You still haven't mention what is wrong with the plumbing. It could range from complex to very simple. Knowledge here on the forums might be able to save the plumber a trip. Water pressure? p traps? Leaks? Poor drainage? Leaky faucets? Pump not working? City connection issues? Venting? Clogged drained? Please help us out a little!
Protohyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Dang, that looks like a nice trailer, and a heck of a view! It's yours to do with as you please, but remember that those bathroom inserts are hard to find, and if you take it out and toss it, someday someone else will get that trailer and wish they had it. If finances take a turn for the worse and you have to sell, not having a bathroom would be a big devaluation.

I agree with those who say fix it. I've learned to do some plumbing on mine. I think having working plumbing is well worth the hassle.

And once again I say, dang - what a beautiful spot! I'm so jealous!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protohyp View Post
You still haven't mention what is wrong with the plumbing. It could range from complex to very simple. Knowledge here on the forums might be able to save the plumber a trip. Water pressure? p traps? Leaks? Poor drainage? Leaky faucets? Pump not working? City connection issues? Venting? Clogged drained? Please help us out a little!
Sorry. Mainly leaks. Leaks somewhere in the shower nozzle, leaks from the bottom sides of the sink. And then all sorts of leaks in the pipes in the back hatch. Basically, they should all be replaced... with PEX, I know. Which he has told me he's going to do. Also, a problem with the trap in the toilet not holding water.

Thanks all who have said nice things about the location. It IS an incredibly beautiful place. Here are a few more pics. The last is of a cedar-shingled "summer room" I had built overlooking the water.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	beds.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	181495   Click image for larger version

Name:	more um.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	181496  

Name:	um.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	181497   Click image for larger version

Name:	finished.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	181498  

Old 03-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Very serene! Please fix the plumbing.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Ah - now I understand his reluctance to work on it. Replacing all the copper fresh water pipe with pex is the way to go, but threading pex into where the copper is now can be very difficult. Airstreams are not built like houses, and access to the plumbing is certainly not the easiest. You might have to carefully disassemble some things to get access, and then put it back together after you solve the plumbing leaks.

Regarding the toilet, assuming it's still an RV toilet, there is no trap. It's a straight pipe directly down to the black tank. If the bowl does not hold water, that's typically the seal around the flush valve in the bottom of the bowl. Depending on the toilet model, that can be replaced fairly easily, or it also can be a bear. First thing you'd need to know is exactly what you have so you can see if a replacement seal is still available.

Man that's a gorgeous place you have! Need any visitors?

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Hi Wig,
Awesome trailer and OMG breathtaking views from your property.
I know exactly what you have in your 64. Probably the same confusing mess off stuff I had in my 64 rear hatch. Rotten plywood, Copper lines and leaky Brass valves and drains all mixed with PO's attemps to "fix it". No grey tank. The black sewer valve fitting is not standard Thetford, only used in 64-65 impossible to find a replacement fitting.
Almost everything can be fixed properly and it is not to tough to do if you take it one thing at a time. People here are happy to chime in with pearls of wisdom and tons of moral support.
A new outdoor toilet and standup shower would not be a bad idea. Then you can fix the trailer at your leisure.
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #16
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Wigout? Dude you write! You know the intangible value of special relationships! I would say you have a dear friend with a mild condition don't trash her. I see you already figured that out, just reinforcing.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
Hi Wig,
Awesome trailer and OMG breathtaking views from your property.
I know exactly what you have in your 64. Probably the same confusing mess off stuff I had in my 64 rear hatch. Rotten plywood, Copper lines and leaky Brass valves and drains all mixed with PO's attemps to "fix it". No grey tank. The black sewer valve fitting is not standard Thetford, only used in 64-65 impossible to find a replacement fitting.
Almost everything can be fixed properly and it is not to tough to do if you take it one thing at a time. People here are happy to chime in with pearls of wisdom and tons of moral support.
A new outdoor toilet and standup shower would not be a bad idea. Then you can fix the trailer at your leisure.
Thanks, batman. Exactly what I had in mind, at least with the shower. Yeah, the plumbing in the back is a total disaster!
Old 03-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Ah - now I understand his reluctance to work on it. Replacing all the copper fresh water pipe with pex is the way to go, but threading pex into where the copper is now can be very difficult. Airstreams are not built like houses, and access to the plumbing is certainly not the easiest. You might have to carefully disassemble some things to get access, and then put it back together after you solve the plumbing leaks.

Regarding the toilet, assuming it's still an RV toilet, there is no trap. It's a straight pipe directly down to the black tank. If the bowl does not hold water, that's typically the seal around the flush valve in the bottom of the bowl. Depending on the toilet model, that can be replaced fairly easily, or it also can be a bear. First thing you'd need to know is exactly what you have so you can see if a replacement seal is still available.

Man that's a gorgeous place you have! Need any visitors?

Chris
Thanks to you, too, Chris!

Yeah, I meant the valve. And, yeah, sometimes visitors are welcome! Last summer, I rented it out a bit with a site called Air BnB, and people just loved it. I'm a bit worried, though, what I'll find when I get down there this summer. The person I had looking after it SAID everything was fine, but there's fine, and then there's FINE, right?
Old 03-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Wigout? Dude you write! You know the intangible value of special relationships! I would say you have a dear friend with a mild condition don't trash her. I see you already figured that out, just reinforcing.
Ha! You are right. I have a few "mild conditions" myself! I'm a Dudette, by the way... and wigwag, not wigout!!!
Old 03-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #20
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigwag View Post

Ha! You are right. I have a few "mild conditions" myself! I'm a Dudette, by the way... and wigwag, not wigout!!!
Dear Miss Wigwag/dudette,

Sorry for mistake! Thanks for the tender correction.

Peace and blessings
Channing
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags