Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Water Heater suggestions for '64 Overlander

The water heater in my 64 is in the bathroom, under a cabinet. My family likes long hot showers, so my wife has requested the 10 gallon hot water heater. I've read all the pros and cons and still don't think I like the idea of a tankless in the AS. Even in a home, the best tankless systems still have a small 10 gallon HW heater in line to help overcome the issues.

Looking at the 6 and 10 gallon, does anyone know if I'll have issues getting the 10 gallon into the AS? Can I do it from the outside, or will I have to remove half the bathroom cabinets?
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Rob I don't know the 64's but in my 73 it had a 10 gal Bowen and I replaced it with a 10 gal Atwood. It was exactly the same size. I did have to remove some of the interior to access the plumbing to cahnge it to fit the new heater. Pics would help. Atwood's website does have dimensions of their water heaters.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Water Heater suggestions for 64 Overlander

Greetings Rob!

If I remember correctly, your Overlander is a Land Yacht International -- and that usually means that it came from the factory with a 10 gallon Bowen water heater. While neither the modern 10 gallon nor the modern 6 gallon RV water heaters will be an exact fit; the 10 gallon will be a much closer fit for the original compartment and will likely require far less effort to fill in the perimeter around the compartment opening.

I wasn't thinking ahead very far when I slected my new water heater. I went with a 6 gallon Atwood with standard pilot light ignition. If I were to be making the decision today, I would be more likely to go with an electronic ignition, 10-gallon water heater with a 120-Volt AC element for use when parked in a campground with full-hookups. Adding the two electric modes does necessitate running both a 12-volt and a 120-volt circuit to the compartment -- but that fortunately isn't a huge problem since both electrical services are adjacent to the compartment.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
We have a tankless in the house, without a tank, and we abuse it !
Turn on the shower, hot water only on cold winter mornings, and let it run while eating breakfast...it is nice and steamy when I enter.
When it comes time for a replacement in the MH...tankless is the way....although quickly filling up the grey water tank will be the negative side.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
The water heater in my 64 is in the bathroom, under a cabinet. My family likes long hot showers, so my wife has requested the 10 gallon hot water heater. I've read all the pros and cons and still don't think I like the idea of a tankless in the AS. Even in a home, the best tankless systems still have a small 10 gallon HW heater in line to help overcome the issues.

Looking at the 6 and 10 gallon, does anyone know if I'll have issues getting the 10 gallon into the AS? Can I do it from the outside, or will I have to remove half the bathroom cabinets?
Our '63 came with a 10 gallon water heater. I'm working on a '63 Bambi that has/had a 10 gallon as well. Your '64 should also have come with a 10, unless it was a "base model", and then I still think it had a 10. IIRC, the 6 gallon was a 16x16 hole in the side of the trailer, and a 10 gallon was a 16x18 hole.
You will need to disconnect the water heater from inside, then unscrew all the screws on the outside. LP also disconnects from the outside. I was able to get the 10 gallon water heater out through the outside on both the Bambi and our Overlander. I put a 6 back in our Overlander, and had to plate over some of the area no longer filled by the 10. When I had to install the water heater in our Sovereign, I put a 10 in, and have not been sorry.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tankless, water heater