Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2014, 05:04 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Toronto , Ontario
Two questions - 1964

Hey everyone.
I see that some of you have shelves, pictures, etc. on your walls. I cringe at the idea of putting nails or screws into mine (which are all original and pristine) but I would love a couple of small shelves above my twin beds for books, a clock, etc. Any suggestions?
The road side of my 64 Overlander gets a lot of sun (It's at a permanent site), so awnings on that side (at least over the bed windows) would be great. Did the awning tracks come as a standard feature? (As I've mentioned in other posts, my AS is a couple of thousand miles from where I live most of the year, which is why I can't just go out and check if I have them... THIS summer, I'll make a thorough photo record!)
Here's a pic of my bedroom.
Thanks loads!
Attached Images

wigwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
shelves

Hi to another Ontariariarian, hmmm... shelves. Books are pretty heavy so you will probably have to screw in some sort of support flanges in those pristine walls. I would not want a rain of paperbacks et al on my head when asleep.
Ikea has some floating shelves that are light, but you would have to rig up some form of containment of the items held there, just moving around in your trailer would probably cause the items on the shelf to creep off.
I am assuming you are talking about the perpendicular veneered walls, not the actual peripheral walls of the AS.

The only awning on my 62 is on the curb side, I can't say I have ever seen an awning on the street side of an AS before, usually they are by/over the door. The windows all round on mine have exterior screw in snaps that were for some kind of covers/awnings at some point, long missing. I think I will recreate them.
Good luck on the shelves.
Leonie
flygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
a lot of later model trailers have awnings all around. You can buy the awning and track to install. Usually the fabric is made to match. You might also find a used awning on Craigslist or EBAY. I ought the material precut and sewn and made my own pole type awning for our 66
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:26 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Toronto , Ontario
Thanks flygrrl. I think I'll just do without those shelves. Hate to go mucking around. As for the awnings, well, I may just have to plant a tree!
wigwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
If the things you would like to store are not too heavy, and can be hung, try 3M removable hooks.
flygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
We installed one of these SS shelves on the galley bulkhead to gain a bit of space to place the kettle & coffee fixums' while parked...

LIMHAMN Wall shelf - 15 3/4x7 7/8 " - IKEA

The pic doesn't show the bracket that is attached to the wall - then the shelve slides down to anchor...

I see they have a longer version as well...

Tags