Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2008, 11:21 PM   #1
If I Rest I Rust

1960 26' Overlander
Natchez , Where the Old South Lives
The Reclamation of Olivia Overlander

I have started the process of restoring an old Airstream lovingly named Olivia. I am new to the AS Forums and am still learning to navigate this site. I purchased her on an ebay auction. I had been looking for AS no longer than 24 ft as I planned on doing a lot of traveling in the next year. I wanted something easy to pull with my truck yet not so small as to feel cramped. I really liked the layout of the Overlander twin model. I also wanted the door in a door pre 64. When I saw this camper for a fare price I jumped on it.
I hauled it back from South Carolina on a wing and a prayer, as I really bought .......as my mother calls such things "A Pig in a Polk". The gods of Aluminum and rubber smiled on me as I camped and cleaned my way back across the south to my centrally located home in Natchez Ms. I traveled with Shawyn as my navigator and co-pilot. He has been on several Cadillac adventures as I call them Where we buy an old Caddy and haul it home to play with as a Hobby. This trip proved to be almost to much for Shawyn as it rained ....No STORMED all the way home. I took back woods roads home and traveled around 150 miles a day unfortunately there were no Star Bucks on the back roads and he got Cranky! After 3 days the GPS found a SB in Albany Ga.where it brought us to a location in Crack town on a small street to small in fact to turn around on and worse yet NO STARBUCKS.........This is where I had what is now known as "STARBUCKS RAGE" see picture.....
Ive had her home for 2 weeks and cant wait to go on an overnight camping trip. I'm trying to tie up all the loose ends of what works and what doesn't. I have been sorting through all the helpful forums on this site and have made some new friends I hope who will help me through this. This will be a long process I hope all will have patients with me for I have a lot to learn. I also have a lot of plans to make Olivia my own unique camper. I hope to make lots of money as I want to buy all the neat things my camper needs. I have sorted throught endless vintage rv stores and have wish list for all of them. What an adventure I have purchased $1325.00....Let the Reclamation begin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Starbucks rage.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	66243   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS trip to SC 011.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	323.8 KB
ID:	66244  

Name:	AS trip to SC 041.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	66245   Click image for larger version

Name:	OOAS1.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	66246  

NatchezBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:48 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Lander , Wyoming
Looks like a good find Natchez. Glad yuou got her home safely. Did all the lights, hitch etc function? If so you were luckier than some. I have a 58 26ft overlander. Very close in outside looks other than mine has hehr windows on the sides. I don't know how extensive a project you plan but be prepared for it to take much longer than you think. I have limitted time to put in on my major renovation and it seems to progress at a snails pace. All I can say is look at one step/component at a time and focus on that or the project becomes overwhelming. Best of luck. This forums is an invaluable resource, so post questions. Ed
n2batr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
This looks like an excelent start to a renovation thread. As you've already found, this is the best place in the world to obtain vast amounts of Airstream knowledge. You and I and several others are going through the same process on our vintage Overlanders, and I have no doubt we'll all be able to help each other at some point.

I think I mentioned this before on another thread, but I think the absolute best way to research your own restoration/renovation project is to read the resto/reno threads written by others who have gone before you. Here's a link to a thread that has links to all of the major renovations. They are lengthy, but I've read through each of them at least a couple of times already, because I think they are that valuable.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ons-35399.html

One other suggestion on renovation threads that I think works really well-- when you have a specific question, for example something related to the LPG tanks-- I think it is best to go to that sub-forum to ask your question, which will provide the maximum visibility to others on the AirForums who might have information to contribute. Then, when you have your answer and/or resolution, post a link on THIS thread, to the other thread where you asked the specific question. I hope that makes sense?

Also, a lot of the time your specific question might have already been addressed, so a quick Search of the specific sub-forum related to your issue will probably yield some helpful results. Then, if you don't find the exact info you need, you can post a new question to that specific sub-forum, and link it back here once it's resolved.

Anyway, that's just a suggestion, but I think that method will both allow for more information to be contributed to each question you ask, as well as keeping this thread less cluttered and easier to quickly glance through for project progress documentation and updates.

Good luck, I'm looking forward to following your progress. I'm VERY partial to the '58 - '63 Overlanders, and it looks like you found a very promising one.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:11 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Vintage Kin Owner
Aylett , Virginia
Damn dude, sounds like you got a deal! I thought I did good on my '61 Tradewind, but sounds like you did even better! Best of luck and happy camping!
NoMoSOBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Congratulations on your Airstream. I too like the layout of the Overlander's and truly miss mine. Good luck in your travels!
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:54 AM   #6
If I Rest I Rust

1960 26' Overlander
Thanks Ed,
Yes all the lights worked except for running light in left turn signal and one red sidemarker light.My first stop was at a auto parts store for a new flatplug connector and she was lit up like a Christmas tree. The Hitch as the po said was some special AS hitch. I was not familiar with the snap on arms so I didn't use them . It road perfectly level with my Ford as my steed.
The sidemarker lights need replacing as the red ones are later and the amber ones are opaque. These I found for $5 a piece so I order two sets.Where is UPS at?The Hitch is solid but covered in rust so that will be one of the projects by itself. It does have a old hydraulic mechanism on it that I think is obsolete.
So far I have experimented with several processes of cleaning and preping the skin for polish. I found on another site an older man who uses wadding with polishing stuff on it, its cheap and it works very well, but is all hand applicated. I also have found some aluminum jelly that strips away the oxidation to leave a dull but polishable surface. I got a little shock when it was raining and I was rubbing so I stopped and replaced the electic outlets that were bad and the out door one next to door which was missing half the cover.My last picture here shows the two panels on the curb rear side need replacing. I'm afraid that will be beyond my experience and financial capabilities. I have thought about cutting a hole in the skin pulling out the dent and then installing a OEM clear lense porch light to hide the hole and add to my 12v system.
Luck is with me as that this camper after a few maintenance items are addressed is perfectly road worthy and set for local camping and the "Fun" can begin with out a long and involved restoration "Camp as you go" as it may be.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00558.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	66316   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00559.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	66317  

Name:	DSC00560.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	66318   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00561.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	66319  

Old 08-26-2008, 01:16 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Congratulations on your AS. I looked for 9 months on ebay and never found one. Did finally find mine on graigs list. Good luck in your AS project!
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Lander , Wyoming
Looks like the dents are in 2 separate kinds of panels. The upper one in the photo is in one of your 7 panel end caps. That one is a little problematic to deal with. You either have to find a repalcement from a comparable year being parted out or leave it as a battle scar ( it is a 50 year old trailer) or try to work it out. I had a lesser sized dent in one end cap panel and with a dolly , hammer, slapper etc worked it out nicely and unless you look really hard you cannot detect it. Having said that I had my interior walls out and was able to work on both sides of the dent.
The other lower panel dent can be more easily replaced with sheet 2024 T3 .032 aluminum if you are so inclined. It is not a compound curve peice as the end cap panel is. Again you need some special tooling ie rivet gun and bucking bar if you wish to do it correctly (this requires the interior wall to be off). You could do what many think is a lesser replacement of that panel with olympic rivets. This is probably less stucturally sound but does not require the interior skins to be taken off. Or again leave as battle scar. What you do may depend on whether you want to polish the trailer etc. Keep up the good work. Ed
Old 08-28-2008, 10:11 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

If you remove the lower panel for replacement perhaps you could work some sort of tool between the inner and outer skins to remove part of the other dent. A roller like Kip made might work.
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:29 PM   #10
If I Rest I Rust

1960 26' Overlander
Christmas in August...

Today my first shipment of Mail order AS parts came in. Vintage trailer supply is my new hero. Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!
They have so much cool stuff for my ole' gal Olivia and at great prices. I ordered a new set of tear drop running lights that so badly needed replacing $5.00 each Yeah! and a latch for my much coveted door in a door. Now it will stay tightly locked down and best of all a new post and ends for my dinette table(missing) which I have located the right size for only $20 bucks.Last night I purchased a Pyrex globe for my Humphrey gas light for $10.00. I live in an ante-bellum house in Natchez and have many 165 year old gas and oil fixtures in my home But I'm scared of gas so many of them I have wired for 110 volts and still have the same look safely. I plan on wiring my Humphrey to be a 4 watt night light ...cool huh? I may need to change my name to Frugal Natchez Bear. I tell ya It was like Christmas morning on Pearl st today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00559.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	66519  
Old 08-30-2008, 08:06 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Lander , Wyoming
Vintage trailer supply is absolutely great. Well run company, always adding new things and completely honest. I have nothing but good things to say about them. She will look better with the old rusty running lights gone! Ed
Old 08-30-2008, 08:55 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatchezBear View Post
Today my first shipment of Mail order AS parts came in. Vintage trailer supply is my new hero. Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!
They have so much cool stuff for my ole' gal Olivia and at great prices. I ordered a new set of tear drop running lights that so badly needed replacing $5.00 each Yeah! and a latch for my much coveted door in a door. Now it will stay tightly locked down and best of all a new post and ends for my dinette table(missing) which I have located the right size for only $20 bucks.Last night I purchased a Pyrex globe for my Humphrey gas light for $10.00. I live in an ante-bellum house in Natchez and have many 165 year old gas and oil fixtures in my home But I'm scared of gas so many of them I have wired for 110 volts and still have the same look safely. I plan on wiring my Humphrey to be a 4 watt night light ...cool huh? I may need to change my name to Frugal Natchez Bear. I tell ya It was like Christmas morning on Pearl st today.
We have more original parts, including the metal segments, for you Airstream, than anyone in the country.

Be extremely careful should you decide on some substitute parts, especially gaskets.

Water leaking into an Airstream, because of bad gaskets, causes considerable grief as well as money.

Only Airstream dealers can purchase parts from the factory.
Non dealers must use substitute parts, or purchase the original parts, if they are still available, from a dealer, which usually increases the costs, to you.

Then there is the little problem of reproducing the original parts, instead of using an upgraded improvement, that even the factory changed to.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:58 AM   #13
Site Team

, Minnesota
Natchezbear,

I've been happy with the stuff I bought from steve at VTS. The new running lights have a thinner base than the original fittings, but they are aluminum and wont rust like the originals.

I made a little modification to mine you may want to consider. I converted them to LED lights using some small running lights I bought at Northern Tool. I glued the new LEDs to the base with Vulkem, ran the ground wire back through the wiring grommet on the new base, and voila!

They are brighter than the original lights, and I don't expect to replace them or clean up any more corroded bases anytime soon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LEDlights 014.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	66559   Click image for larger version

Name:	LEDlights 016.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	66560  

markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:07 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Natchezbear,

I've been happy with the stuff I bought from steve at VTS. The new running lights have a thinner base than the original fittings, but they are aluminum and wont rust like the originals.

I made a little modification to mine you may want to consider. I converted them to LED lights using some small running lights I bought at Northern Tool. I glued the new LEDs to the base with Vulkem, ran the ground wire back through the wiring grommet on the new base, and voila!

They are brighter than the original lights, and I don't expect to replace them or clean up any more corroded bases anytime soon.
Looks good.

Andy
Old 08-31-2008, 01:54 AM   #15
If I Rest I Rust

1960 26' Overlander
man does look good I can't play AS today cause of evacuees from nola at my house if they stay for two hurricanes I might just go hide in Ole Olivia......
Old 08-31-2008, 07:14 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Lone Jack , Missouri
Good plan w/ the LED lights. I've got LEDs on my car hauler trailer, covered motorcycle trailer and my truck. An additional advantage is that you can leave your "parking" lights on for hours and hours w/ minimal current draw. You need to remember that your dash lights on your tow vehicle are probably not LED so simply turn them off.
Larry in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:48 PM   #17
If I Rest I Rust

1960 26' Overlander
We finally got the power back on at home but still no power at my restaurant. Olivia suffered no damage from the hurricane, but in the front yard a 200 year old oak tree came down and took out the power. The neighbors are steamed! You can see the AS in the back ground of the picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00584.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	590.4 KB
ID:	66815   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00586.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	588.7 KB
ID:	66816  

Old 09-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatchezBear View Post
We finally got the power back on at home but still no power at my restaurant. Olivia suffered no damage from the hurricane, but in the front yard a 200 year old oak tree came down and took out the power. The neighbors are steamed! You can see the AS in the back ground of the picture.
Sort of proves a point.

Trees are not really here to stay, forever.

But Airstreams are.

Andy
Old 09-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #19
If I Rest I Rust

1960 26' Overlander
Talking I got the MONSTER off my back and installed my new Carrier V

In between feeder bands of storms I was able to install my roof top AC. I started early unbolting the hateful MONSTER on Olivias Back. When My man Friday arrived to help me the skys opened up then cleared just as fast. Most of the work was getting the old one down, the new one went up easy as pie I hooked up the wiring as descibed and fired her up, cool cascades of air soon blew the hair out of my sweaty eyes. What joy, what feeling of acomplishment,what a relief to have it bolted down before the winds really start blowing As I waited for my help I did install one of my new running lights aquired from Vintage trailer suppy. She is starting to look good I also got out a little soap and soft brush after the algae growing on the roof while singing"Whats it all about Algae" I went and put her back in her storage space before the Hurrican hits.
NatchezBear
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00606.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	67270   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00609.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	67271  

Name:	DSC00611.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	67272   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00617.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	324.2 KB
ID:	67273  

Old 10-16-2008, 11:00 PM   #20
If I Rest I Rust

1960 26' Overlander
Last night I went camping at a new spot for me and just 30 miles from my home. Clear Springs National park, what a beautiful place. I stayed at spot number 18 overlooking the lake. There is a great trail that circles the lake. It is right near Meadville Ms. I have made a few improvements to Olivia in the last few weeks. Ive added the dinette table that was missing.Finished cleaning the mold off the outside.Installed a new frig and microwave. I also have found some new patio lights for the awning. We also spotted some kind of southwest Ms sasquache monster on far end of lake.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00766.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	69564   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00784.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	688.1 KB
ID:	69565  

Name:	DSC00801.jpg