Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2008, 01:20 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Denham Springs , Louisiana
Great work on your trailer. We live near Baton Rouge and go to Clear Springs often. Don't talk about it too much though or it will get too popular!
Keep up the good work. What restaurant do you have in Natchez?
Old 10-17-2008, 05:36 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Man that really looks great after the cleaning. Glad to see you enjoying your trailer. That sasquatch looks hungry...

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:13 PM   #23
If I Rest I Rust

1960 26' Overlander
Natchez , Where the Old South Lives
Kings Tavern ....Oldest building in Mississippi built prior to 1789 ,Great Prime Rib and Haunted. Ma Ma lives in French Settlement B.T.W.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snowday in natchez 016.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	344.9 KB
ID:	69700   Click image for larger version

Name:	snowday in natchez 004.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	463.1 KB
ID:	69701  

NatchezBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:26 PM   #24
If I Rest I Rust

1960 26' Overlander
Thanks Utee, I am really starting to know the joy of being a Streamer. I have been very busy making repairs to my houses and businessfrom Gustav. Haven't had much time for Olivia plus We just had Crusin the Coast in South Ms I entered my old Caddy named Cafe'ola. The weather is getting right and its easyer working on her in cooler temps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00701.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	69697   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00643.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	337.0 KB
ID:	69698  

Old 10-28-2008, 08:39 AM   #25
If I Rest I Rust

1960 26' Overlander
Yesterday I drove to Ripley, Ms. to pick up a set of 1989 Toyoya rims with tires I picked up ebay. When I first purchased Olivia she came with 3 of these Toyota rims. I was very surprised to learn that the rims bolted right up to the six lug A/S bolt pattern. I have been looking for a fourth rim to match for several months, with no luck. Then up came a set of four with tires with good tread......Great find. They look very sporty on an older A/S .Now I have three extra rims with may-pop dry rotted tires. I think I will sell two of them to some one else who likes the look. The only glitch I see is the hub sticks way out from these rims, So I need to find a very deep center cap,or just paint hubs silver and truck on...................

P S I saw two older A/S at a flea market in Ripley they looked like they were being stored. One of them was a 13 panel, so Im sure it was pretty old
Old 10-28-2008, 12:54 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatchezBear View Post
Yesterday I drove to Ripley, Ms. to pick up a set of 1989 Toyoya rims with tires I picked up ebay. When I first purchased Olivia she came with 3 of these Toyota rims. I was very surprised to learn that the rims bolted right up to the six lug A/S bolt pattern. I have been looking for a fourth rim to match for several months, with no luck. Then up came a set of four with tires with good tread......Great find. They look very sporty on an older A/S .Now I have three extra rims with may-pop dry rotted tires. I think I will sell two of them to some one else who likes the look. The only glitch I see is the hub sticks way out from these rims, So I need to find a very deep center cap,or just paint hubs silver and truck on...................

P S I saw two older A/S at a flea market in Ripley they looked like they were being stored. One of them was a 13 panel, so Im sure it was pretty old
NatchezBear,

Great find with the rims. I would check to make sure they are rated for trailer tires (2600#'s & 65psi). Next time you're down here for Cruisin' The Coast in South Mississippi, stop by. I would like to see your old Cadillac. Bet it make a great vintage tow vechicle.
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:13 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:

Your trailer requires wheels that are rated at 2600 pounds each.

If not, in spite of Toyota, they will fail.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:31 PM   #28
If I Rest I Rust

1960 26' Overlander
Hi Rick,
I've Tried looking on line to find the wheel weight ratings of the Toyota rims. I can't find anything. The tires on the steel rims are rated at 2028 lb each.That's a total of over 8100 lbs, more than twice the weight of Ole Olivia. The three rims that came on Olivia appear to have been on for a while and I pulled home 600 miles with no visible fracturing or catastrophic failure. I feel that if these rims were designed for a 4X4 off road truck, surly my Cadillac riding Airstream can be any rougher on them. You have raised a doubt in my mind , so do you know how to find these ratings? And thank you for not being a Gloomy Gus on the matter for I'm still learning and am very impressible I also have three different rims and will need help identifying which ones are A/S I will send pics later.

Natchez Bear
Old 11-02-2008, 02:38 PM   #29
If I Rest I Rust

1960 26' Overlander
I need help identifying these rims

Can any one help me identify which of these rims are A/S and what hubcaps go on them. My A/S is a 1960 Overlander, I believe at least one rim is from six lug Toyota. I want to get rid of the junk and save the vintage A/s stuff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00828.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	70737   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00832.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	70738  

Name:	DSC00833.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	70739  
Old 11-03-2008, 11:13 AM   #30
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Hi Rick,
I've Tried looking on line to find the wheel weight ratings of the Toyota rims. I can't find anything. The tires on the steel rims are rated at 2028 lb each.That's a total of over 8100 lbs, more than twice the weight of Ole Olivia. The three rims that came on Olivia appear to have been on for a while and I pulled home 600 miles with no visible fracturing or catastrophic failure. I feel that if these rims were designed for a 4X4 off road truck, surly my Cadillac riding Airstream can be any rougher on them. You have raised a doubt in my mind , so do you know how to find these ratings? And thank you for not being a Gloomy Gus on the matter for I'm still learning and am very impressible I also have three different rims and will need help identifying which ones are A/S I will send pics later.

Natchez Bear
Any wheel weight rating below 2600 pounds, is asking for trouble.

Toyota wheels are not designed for twisting, that your trailer does to the wheels, everytime you make a turn.

Remember, if a wheel blows, and you hurt someone, they can easily prove you deviated from the RV industry standards.

That being the case, make sure you carry tons of liabilty insurance.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:55 PM   #31
If I Rest I Rust

1960 26' Overlander
It looks like we will have one more freeze here in southwest Ms. I have been working on Olivia on and off through the winter. I did go camping at lake Lincoln State Park near Brookhaven Ms. It was mid December and It got unbearably cold with a strong wind blowing off the lake. Needless to say I'm waiting for Spring. I just made new Coca Cola drapes for the front room of the camper. Pictures will come when I finish all the windows. Ill be finishing up the spring clean up and be on the road soon.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:57 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1991 29' Excella
auburn , Alabama
Great find

Getting a towable AS for 1300 bucks is a steal. Well done. I am starting a 58 overlander restoration myself. One helpful thing I found besides reading the restoration stories on this forum was the DIY network series on restoring a 70 overlander. You can go to UTUBE and view around 25 of their videos from this series. Very informative and teaches you to bite off a little at a time so as not to get overwhelmed with all the different things that need to be done. Best to you and I think you have found the best online source of Airstream Info.
navyeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #33
If I Rest I Rust

1960 26' Overlander
I had planned my first camping trip of the year for Sunday the 3rd. I was leaving after church to go to clear Springs and then Fairveiw in madisonville La. well about 930 the sky turned green and 70 MPH winds with golf ball size hail blew my widows in mt house out and brought down two trees at the house where I keep the Airstream (she was un scaved) guess Ill just have to plan for next week.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:48 PM   #34
If I Rest I Rust

1960 26' Overlander
New awnings for Olivia

I have been working hard the past few weeks sewing new Coca Cola curtains for the interior and new beige and white striped awnings for the smaller windows. I searched high and low looking for a Coke fabric as I want to have a coke theme for when I show the Camper at car shows with my 1957 Metropolitan.( I make it look like the Metro is towing the 26ft Overlander) I finally found Coke fabric on Ebay, but had to buy it in pieces over time. I still need to find a new fabric for my dinnette seats. I need something neutral that will go with other theme curtains I plan in the future.

The awnings where a bit harder to sew as they were a heavy canvas, but my sewing machine performed like a champ. I chose a beige and white stripe that matched the old awning on the door side of the camper. The stripe is half the size of the big awning, but looks really good altogether as a package. I found the fabric (20yards)on Ebay for $100, but was concerned about the stripe width. Well the seller offered a 10% discount and Ebay sent me a 10% off coupon and the Jewish side of me came out. I hit the buy it now and within a week my fabric was at my door.

I made the frames for the awnings out PVC pipe which tucked snuggly between the rain drip rail and the window frame. I can't wait to go camping as now the old girl really stands out with a vintage look. Other campers come visit my site to see the spectacle( I'm not sure if it's the cool factor or amazment that something so old still rolls and is usable)

NatchezBear
P S the storm last week blew a pink Flamingo in my yard(god knows where from) she doesn't have legs , but I'm sure I can find some prostetic leggs somewhere. I hope to find her a mate and I might have another decorator theme in the works. I saw some Flamingo, Metro,Airstream table cloths on Ebay.The possiblities are endless.................
Old 05-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #35
If I Rest I Rust

1960 26' Overlander
Hers the pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	79928   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	79929  

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	309.4 KB
ID:	79930   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	79931  

Old 07-22-2009, 07:14 PM   #36
If I Rest I Rust

1960 26' Overlander
We went on a great camping trip to Clear Springs Monday night, It was all good till 600 am sparks started falling from the roof top AC. All the power blew and won't come back on. On top of all that I forgot to charge the camera.....NO PICS!
Well maybe next time..................
Old 07-22-2009, 09:15 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Hope the problem is an easy fix.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:23 PM   #38
If I Rest I Rust

1960 26' Overlander
The problem was not that serious but it did require pulling the A/C interior completely off to get to the wiring. It was Hot as hell and no A/C to work in.After pulling it all down I discovered that the new A/C I put in last year, when I hooked it up the wiring was aluminum. Being a novice Streamer I thought all Airstreams had Aluminum wiring for weight and because old houses in the 50's sometime have aluminum wiring. Well what happened was the wiring was copper ( of course AS are the best)and had an aluminum pigtail coming off and where the contact between the two different metals was there was a short .....sort of the way a fuse pops. So I figure my past experience with aluminum was I had to pigtail copper two be able to wire new plugs because the end of the aluminum would deteriorate so bad it wouldn't make contact. I wired in new copper pigtail off the main wiring harness and was back in the A/C again. Then I had a 14X14 vent in bedroom that the lifters would not budge and were stuck just a little bit open position on the roof. I ordered a new vent with crank handle and installed it. At first it was very difficult to drill out the old rivets then an old timer showed me how to drill into the side and made it easy.I silconed it and pop riveted it down and was very pleased I cant wait to go camping again to try it all out again. Now the damned hurricannes are kicking up and interfering with my camping days off.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:47 AM   #39

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Glad to see Olivia is on the road. I've been wanting to tryout Clear Lake, just haven't made it down there yet. Are the sites big enough for a 34' Excella?
Come to think, I haven't even made the annual trip to Natchez! (we usually camp across the river because, well, I've been to lazy to look for a more convienent location )
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #40
If I Rest I Rust

1960 26' Overlander
I believe there are a few pull through sites that would be long enough if you parked your TV to the side. I would love to get together a Miss-Lou Airstream Rally of sorts. was just contacted by a couple from Alex who want to come over here to. Im not sure what it would take to organize a rally.

GORP - Clear Springs, MS: Favorite National Forest Campgrounds

Clearsprings Lake - Homochitto National Forest

34 ft of of aluminum pushing ya down the road must be scary, but sure must be luxurious camping.Does the Excella come with a bowling alley lane?

Natchezbear