Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2004, 06:05 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Question Rear end reinforcing on a 62 Overlander

I have read several threads regarding rear end separation. I notice on my 62 tandem axle, twin bed model, that the frame at the rear bumber does deflect upward when a jack is applied to it (I put a fair amount of force on it to check it, I normally would only apply enough to stabilize). I tow this A/S quite a bit and would like to reinforce the rear end so I never have to worry. I have the wheels balanced, but have not balanced the whole assembly yet. I have yet to find a thread that tells what material is used and whether welding is not the way to go.. I imagine that I would:
  1. Remove the belly skins out back.
  2. Remove insulation around the frame rails
  3. Inspect the areas of welds,bolts
  4. Move bumper up and down to help locate the bad area
  5. Weld on channel,angle,plates to correct this.
  6. Paint bare metal
  7. Close after surgery
I would like to have the metal on hand prior to the job. I pretty much live in this A/S so down time is a little inconvenient.

Questions are:
  1. Type and size of metal to use (and how much)?
  2. Any special brackets I could manufacture to really beef it up?
  3. Welding is O.K. (Mig)?
  4. Is the rear bumper supposed to move at all?
Silverfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 10:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfly
I have read several threads regarding rear end separation. I notice on my 62 tandem axle, twin bed model, that the frame at the rear bumber does deflect upward when a jack is applied to it (I put a fair amount of force on it to check it, I normally would only apply enough to stabilize)...
Maybe I misinterpreted your presentation, but rear end separation is usually observed when weight is applied to the top of the bumper, and watching the frame it is connected to separate from the shell.

Regardless, you need to read Airstream's Bulletin #29 which addresses this problem. You will see that their fix is totally different than what you have in mind.

I printed that bulletin from the web some months ago, but cannot seem to find the link today. Perhaps someone else can point to it.

Edit: This post might help you

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 08:21 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Wow, Thanks for the info link. The method descriped is much less intrusive than I thought. I realize the 62 will be different but the concept will be the same. When I get a chance I will post pics of the job.

P.S. I have the rear mounted spare and I would like to keep it it there. I understand it helps to separate the rear.
Silverfly is offline   Reply With Quote