Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2004, 09:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Progress?

As you may remember we started with repairing a soft spot on the floor. Making progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aftgutted.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	9168   Click image for larger version

Name:	forwardgutted.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	9169  

Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 09:42 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Are you a gymnast?

At least you'll be be ready for the next olympics after doing balance beam routines every time you worked on your coach.

Was there some crazy toxic substance completely covering the bottom of your belly pan?

I'm not sure why you were so strongly against removing that belly pan, but you are going to want to remove it at some point, if you want to use elevator bolts for putting on a new subfloor.

Christopher
gerbermania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 07:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Mice. There was a mice housing project under the floor. Also some holes around the wheels and in front. Prime leaky areas for road sludge.
I will not be removing the belly pan except for the edges around the outriggers where it is torn as part of the fix. To get access I'll take out the middle set of rivets that hold the sections together. The rear section will be replaced.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:58 AM   #4
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Over59,
Now that you've done it, what words of wisdom do you have for others who are contemplating the same undertaking? While I'm asking questions, where did the little blue wires run that were connected to the plug on the front curbside curved panel just around the corner from the water fill tube? I've only been able to trace down one of them. It went to the two overhead 12 volt lights, the other one is a mystery.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 09:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I think that is a 12V plug that was from the battery in the front box. Since I am doing a complete rewire I didn't note what sent where, just cut them out. There's no sign the dc's been used in decades. A butcher job of installing an AC panel in the rear area was at least 20 years old.
On step at a time. Flexible plan without heading too far in one direction without keeping the related steps moving along. It's like a house. Step one, get the foundation and roof squared away before you repaint the livingroom or refloor the bedroom. Except the scale is alot more managible than a house. And don't let it fall down in the process. Right now the shell is held in place by the steel plate in front and four (?) ribs that actually rest on the floor. Frankly iI think the floor's design is more to hold the shell down while moving then to hold it up, except in a few places. The shell is so rigid by design that as long as it's intact I think it supports itself on those few "legs".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	streetsidesupport.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	9170  
Old 12-17-2004, 09:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
The welder's here the welder's here....
And I found a source for any kind of plywood you could imagine about 30 minutes from me. The new 20 foot of 2024 is on the back porch and the break is on the way. I just may make late spring yet. Have calls in to Inland about awning and axel prices.

Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
The Bat Cave Express is getting patio awnings for Christmas. Wings. I'm putting the full patio awning with supports on both sides. That way we can use either side and stay out of the wind, sun, and rain. Maybe snow to. It will look awesome with it's wings spread. We selected the black and white 6 bar fabric and will have to revisit the interior colors. How about black dinette covering? What type of fabric would have a strong weave pattern like a heavy linen thread. I don't know what it is but it hase a basket weave effect? I think we will be sliding toward a more "formal" looks.
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2004, 09:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
boy this looks/sounds very familier - you, I and uwe are all neck to neck on our projects. I got the overhead cabinets done this weekend.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote