Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
x

XXXX , XXXX
OMAR (Owner of Multiple Airstreams)

Last Monday on the way home from dropping off my truck at Ford for service I saw an a/s sitting in a field behind a newly built home nearly obscured by bushes. I stopped in but no one was home. I was able to walk back and look at it. It's a 1963 26ft Overlander International ( Ohio built) according to the VIN. It's in pretty rough shape outside. Several dents in both front and rear endcaps on the curbside as well as a gash aft of the lower entry door hinge. Nearly every window is broken and there is a wood stove vent cut into the side also aft of the door. From what I can see outside both the water heater and the furnace are gone and patched over.
I dropped by again on Friday and left my card. The owner called today and gave me a little history of the damage. Appently it was being towed by an over zealous cousin of his, who lost control and ditched it causing the shell damage and breaking the windows.
I'm going to meet him on Monday and look inside. He said he was thinking the value was around $500 and I think I'll offer $300 and see what happens. This will be a very easy recovery as it is only 10 miles from my place. If I buy it it will be my fourth a/s this year and it will be one of three that I will keep.
Stay tuned and on Monday I will post pics of it and the recovery.
I'm definately addicted because I need to go look at two more that are very close as well. All my campers are now aware of my addiction and are always on the lookout for more a/s during their travels.
Can we start a seperate sub forum for aluminuts called Airstream Anonymous.
Hello my name is Chris and I'm addicted to Airstreams. GROUP: " Hi Chris"
It's been a month since my last purchase of an Airstream. Do I get a one month chip now?
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
Chris...we just said 'no'. When we bought our Argosy, we were offered a '67 AS (not sure of the model) that had been gutted (although all of the interior pieces were still on hand) for an additional $1500. We were very tempted, but also knew our limit...in hindsight though...
Old 05-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
IRS = (I Are Sick)
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1971 27' Overlander
2004 25' Safari
Jourdanton , Texas
Chris I believe that the carrier that infected you is the same one that parked in my backyard on a couple of occasions - You friend Doug.

Enjoy the multiple projects.

Jim
Prickly Pear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
IRS = (I Are Sick)
Gary I can't spell that with the A/S letters to change my avitar. There's no C in Airstream.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Chris I believe that the carrier that infected you is the same one that parked in my backyard on a couple of occasions - You friend Doug.

Jim
Jim yeah Doug has been a great help to me with the 73 and you're right he has infected me for sure. I haven't seen him since the fall and hope he drops by soon for a visit. I really could use the extra pair of hands with the polishing.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmhays View Post
Chris...we just said 'no'. When we bought our Argosy, we were offered a '67 AS (not sure of the model) that had been gutted (although all of the interior pieces were still on hand) for an additional $1500. We were very tempted, but also knew our limit...in hindsight though...
Field finds are the best. Usually they haven't been too molested and the owners are willing to let them go cheap. It's very hard to find them here on this side of the border so I consider my self lucky to have found this one and want to go see the other two that have been spotted locally as well.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Gary I can't spell that with the A/S letters to change my avitar. There's no C in Airstream.
Ha! That's funny:-)
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Vintage Kin Owner
Aylett , Virginia
Yep, it is a sickness. Picked up my third one yesterday. After the first one they seem to find you.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post

Jim
Hey, I resemble that remark .
Chris, have you seen the one at the corner of CTY Rd 6 and Hwy 89, just west of Mount Forest looks abandoned.
How many you got now Jim, I'm up to 5.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #11
x

XXXX , XXXX
Doug that's one of the ones that a camper told me about. I'm going to try and see it next week. I have to go down th Clifford and pick up the fireworks for next weekends show and will look at it then. Do you know anything about it's vintage?
Old 05-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Doug that's one of the ones that a camper told me about. I'm going to try and see it next week. I have to go down th Clifford and pick up the fireworks for next weekends show and will look at it then. Do you know anything about it's vintage?

It's something in the 70's
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I'm not actually an OMAR...it just seems that way by all the goodies I've bought to keep it going
Old 05-14-2011, 09:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Chris/Doug,

I guess I have the sickness as well. We have 6 plus a motorhome. We love them all like little kids. Chris, is your 61 Sov functional? I have a 63 that is a total rebuild.

Good luck in your finds.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #15
x

XXXX , XXXX
Ray I guess you could be considered a partial OMAR given that if all the new parts and the old parts you almost have two A/S.
Bruce the 61 is nonfunctional. It;s sitting waiting at Frank's trailer Works in Baltimore patiently waiting it's turn. It will be a complete shell off full monte restoration. My 73 I am doing will be moderized and I want the 61 to be totally retro. My plan is to get a 61 Lincoln Continental convertible as a TV.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:55 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I was happy with one airstream when I stumbled on something a bit similar, but I saw it on Craiglist. I low balled the guy and told my son he could have it. The guy excepted my offer and now I have two and thinking of three. Wow!!!! This can get addicting.

Brian
Old 05-15-2011, 08:13 AM   #17
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
We Are All Potential OMARs....

Quote:
Can we start a seperate sub forum for aluminuts called Airstream Anonymous.
Hello my name is Chris and I'm addicted to Airstreams. GROUP: " Hi Chris"
It's been a month since my last purchase of an Airstream. Do I get a one month chip now?
they say the first step is admitting you have a problem. However, if we are all being truthful, wouldn't most of us gladly join OMAR? Don't we all suffer from some sort of OMAR symptom? Cruising the internet looking for A/S for sale just because we can't help ourselves. Checking out parts online? Perusing other people's remodels and restorations? Aren't these all symptoms of OMAR?

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:25 PM   #18
x

XXXX , XXXX
Officially an OMAR now.

I went to see the 63 this morning and after a little bit of time emptying it of all the junk inside and airing up the tires I got it hitched up and towed it home. I had no brakes, lights or safety chains but only had to travel 6 miles to get it here.
I'm pulling out two windows to send to Frank (62Overlander) to solve the little dilemma he had on the weekend. It seems that a tree pulled out in front of him while parking Anna and he has some damage to the two windows in front of the door.
I have to seal up all the broken windows and the skylight then I think I will just park this one in the back for now and let it age until I have the 73 done.
This trailer has been ditched and it will need to have the entire curbside reskinned from the roof panel on down to the belly pan, as well as changing the lower segments of both the front and rear end caps on the curbside. It also has damage to both lower segments of the front and rear end caps on the roadside. The rear end cap has damage to five sections(3 curb and 2 road) and the front end cap has damage to three sections on the curbside. Threre is also a crease to a section from the wheels back to the rear end cap on the roadside. I counted and there are 30 pieces to the shell and 17 have damage.
It has 10 windows and only one is not broken. All three roof vents leak and the skylight is broken and missing.
Inside the only original parts are the bathroom sink& cabinet and the tub. There is one overhead cabinet left above where the kitchen would have been and the storage bin in the front end cap is still there. Three original overhead lights are still there as well as two wall sconces on the walls up in the front. I also have the original Tappan stove but it is in bad shape and the kitchen sink.
both closets and the beds are missing as well as the bulkhead wall between the bathroom and the bedroom and also missing is the bulkhead wall between the bedroom and the kitchen.
The floor seems surprisingly solid and the belly is intact but not very pretty looking. I wonder how bad the frame is but may never find out.
It's up in the air what will happen to this one as it will be a huge project to resurrect it.
At least the tear down will be easy as the interior is all but gone.
Anyway here are some pics I shot right after getting it home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1963 Overlander 001.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	129957   Click image for larger version

Name:	1963 Overlander 002.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	129958  

Name:	1963 Overlander 003.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	129959   Click image for larger version

Name:	1963 Overlander 004.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	129960  

Name:	1963 Overlander 005.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	129961   Click image for larger version

Name:	1963 Overlander 006.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	129962  

Name:	1963 Overlander 007.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	129963   Click image for larger version

Name:	1963 Overlander 008.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	129964  

Name:	1963 Overlander 009.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	314.6 KB
ID:	129965   Click image for larger version

Name:	1963 Overlander 015.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	331.5 KB
ID:	129966  

Old 05-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #19
x

XXXX , XXXX
Interior Shots

Here are the shots of the interior.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1963 Overlander 011.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	129967   Click image for larger version

Name:	1963 Overlander 012.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	129968  

Name:	1963 Overlander 013.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	315.8 KB
ID:	129969   Click image for larger version

Name:	1963 Overlander 014.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	379.9 KB
ID:	129970  

Old 05-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Wasagaschris. You might reconsider eventually buying and using a suicide 4-door 60's Lincoln. We wanted to use one as our vintage towcar but learned these cars are Unibody. If you can find someone who has the knowledge of how and where to attach and is able to construct a special hitch or find an original factory hitch don't let an amataur welder build you one. We opted for a late 60's Cadillac since it has a true frame. Another note, be mindful of '60's Detroit Rolling livingrooms if they don't have A/C they may not be geared low enough to be a good towcar. EX our 1967 4 door Sedan DeVille has NO factory air and has a 2.91-1 rearend. Can't hardly get out of its own way in the city, but it sure flies on the highway.
So, we bought a 1969 Caddy DeVille Convertible with A/C and the a/c option gives you a 3.26-1 rear gear. Makes a difference even with a Globe Trotter.
Good luck.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote