Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Silverton , Oregon
Noob Owner shopping list..help??

OK, I've got to first check the lighting system (glad to hear that a lot of these beasts from the 58-63 years actually have good systems still) so I've bought the 30 amp Furion Stainless inlet, a Furion cord and pigtail adapter to get a 15amp household cord to hook up, and a 7 pin pigtail harness to start all over and see how my exterior/brake light system is working. Boy do these things all add up!

In addition while I'm on the Vintage Trailer Supply site, I've bought a new rear taillight assembly and another Number 99 lense. Do I need the two bulb or single bulb assembly? I've also found a License light in a double-secret location I'm trying to attain (sweet!) OK, let's add the correct teardrop shaped marker lights for the front and back. Is the type with the crome/silver exterior surround going to look right?

I also need a new lock assembly for the main door. It is currently "supported" by a block of wood in there..is this necessary for strength or do most people just put the round assembly on without any internal support in the door.

I'm sort of taking care of a few things early and know I have the cart ahead of the horse some, but I thought I'd get started on a few things to keep the excitement up and keep myself motivated. I also have a new Curbside front window being searched out and have a glass place on standbye to install 3 new window panes for me..so I have a couple batches of window glass seal. Oh yeah, and the door gasket/overseal for both the inner and outer doors (do I need two orders of 16' or will just this batch do?)

Thanks for any feedback or other obvious starting points!
59ORLander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59ORLander View Post
OK, I've got to first check the lighting system (glad to hear that a lot of these beasts from the 58-63 years actually have good systems still) so I've bought the 30 amp Furion Stainless inlet, a Furion cord and pigtail adapter to get a 15amp household cord to hook up, and a 7 pin pigtail harness to start all over and see how my exterior/brake light system is working. Boy do these things all add up!

In addition while I'm on the Vintage Trailer Supply site, I've bought a new rear taillight assembly and another Number 99 lense. Do I need the two bulb or single bulb assembly? I've also found a License light in a double-secret location I'm trying to attain (sweet!) OK, let's add the correct teardrop shaped marker lights for the front and back. Is the type with the crome/silver exterior surround going to look right?

I also need a new lock assembly for the main door. It is currently "supported" by a block of wood in there..is this necessary for strength or do most people just put the round assembly on without any internal support in the door.

I'm sort of taking care of a few things early and know I have the cart ahead of the horse some, but I thought I'd get started on a few things to keep the excitement up and keep myself motivated. I also have a new Curbside front window being searched out and have a glass place on standbye to install 3 new window panes for me..so I have a couple batches of window glass seal. Oh yeah, and the door gasket/overseal for both the inner and outer doors (do I need two orders of 16' or will just this batch do?)

Thanks for any feedback or other obvious starting points!
Your door within a door uses 10 feet of gasket for the screen door and 15 feet of gasket for the main door.

The correct gasket is rectangular shaped that also has a lip on one corner.

There also is a replacement window gasket available that is many times superior to the original bulb type.

The lock assembly is long gone.

You can update the lock, with a kit that is available, but you will also have to plate the interior and exterior of the door at the lock area.

Most owners replace the tail lights with LED's that are far superior to the originals.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Silverton , Oregon
Thanks Andy..I'm going to throttle back for a minute and go over to a local RV center..the fellow will survey what I've got, fix the quickies, and get back to me with an estimate for the floor and appliances/plumbing/electrical units..I will feel better asking some of these silly questions one-on-one and at least know more of what I'm looking at!
Old 04-22-2014, 04:27 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Silverton , Oregon
Another unique item in search of..

I'm also looking for pull handles for the overhead sliding doors, 6 in total. The hole centers are 1.75" apart. The formica on my doors is in great shape, but all of the handles have been removed and replaced. Anybody have a hint on where to find the originals, or what they even look like? My drawers and cabinets all have the correct brass handles, it appears..of course those would be the ones that are easily replaced, haha..
Old 04-22-2014, 04:49 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Okotoks , Alberta
Oh man I know all about the costs. I just added up what I've spent at VTS alone and it is over $5500. Then all the stuff from other retailers comes to more than that. I don't even want to know what this reno will cost in the end. My 1957 is pretty much a complete shell on re-do.

I'll finally have it in June and will take it to our first rally in Astoria, WA in July.

Good luck.
davepankras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Silverton , Oregon
Window needed..

Has anyone had any luck finding an inner frame for the glass (or both) on the curbside front window pairs?

My window needed is 18" x 17.5"

I've called a lot of different places to no avail..isn't this a pretty simple procedure to build?

Thanks for any tips!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windowsneededairs..jpg
Views:	104
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	210343  
Old 04-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59ORLander View Post
I'm also looking for pull handles for the overhead sliding doors, 6 in total. The hole centers are 1.75" apart. The formica on my doors is in great shape, but all of the handles have been removed and replaced. Anybody have a hint on where to find the originals, or what they even look like? My drawers and cabinets all have the correct brass handles, it appears..of course those would be the ones that are easily replaced, haha..
Can you post pictures? My '59 Overlander didn't have the original sliding doors.

We used these running lights, which matched the ones on the trailer when we bought it. There were no lights above the forward and aft windows.

You may be able to find a replacement lock. Search for a Bargman L-77. TGTwinkie makes replacement handles -- you may want to PM him to see if he has a replacement.

Glass replacement? You may want to temporarily replace it with some of the big box storm window build-your-own kits if you have to move the trailer outside. Based on your pics, it looks to be safely stored indoors -- near a BMW bike?
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:49 AM   #8
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
windows

My 62 is extremely similar to your trailer, right down to the rock guard. My front battery box had been removed, but our chimney and fridge vents are the same.

The window openings next to your door are the same size as mine, and I have jalousie windows - yours may have had those as well, originally? Something to consider.

Welcome to the forums Do you have pictures of your interior cabinetry? And was your trailer made in California or Ohio?

Kathy
Old 04-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Silverton , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
Can you post pictures? My '59 Overlander didn't have the original sliding doors.

We used these running lights, which matched the ones on the trailer when we bought it. There were no lights above the forward and aft windows.

You may be able to find a replacement lock. Search for a Bargman L-77. TGTwinkie makes replacement handles -- you may want to PM him to see if he has a replacement.

Glass replacement? You may want to temporarily replace it with some of the big box storm window build-your-own kits if you have to move the trailer outside. Based on your pics, it looks to be safely stored indoors -- near a BMW bike?

Dimitri at Silver Trailer Supply said that he thinks in '59 they would have been a clearview window, but unfortunately he doesn't have any. He said they went away from the ClearViews in '60..I have the trailer over at a local repair shop (outside, unfortunately for now) to have him go over it and give me a run-down of things that work and don't work to get me started. So unfortunately the pics I have of the cabinets are pretty poor. they are covered with the same formica as the bath and kitchen counters and clean up pretty well, actually. I assume they are original, but they don't have any of the original slide handles that would have been a 1.75" spacing OC.

I appreciate the thoughts on the lock too! I was coming to the same conclusion on the window yesterday..I think I'll have my local glass guy build a storm window and leave it "shut" for now. Matt at VTS said they expect to be manufacturing replacements within a couple years. That'll be nice.

I got the taillights and the proper running lights ordered from VTS in addition to the new power inlet plug and adapters/cords.
Haha..not by a bike, I'm a buff of the BMW cars so I have some stuff up o the walls in the shop
Old 04-24-2014, 09:06 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Silverton , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCN View Post
My 62 is extremely similar to your trailer, right down to the rock guard. My front battery box had been removed, but our chimney and fridge vents are the same.

The window openings next to your door are the same size as mine, and I have jalousie windows - yours may have had those as well, originally? Something to consider.

Welcome to the forums Do you have pictures of your interior cabinetry? And was your trailer made in California or Ohio?

Kathy

I'm 99% sure it was made in California

Here are some pics that I do have..thanks for the welcome!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cabinetsmlr.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	210411   Click image for larger version

Name:	heatersmlr.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	210412  

Name:	IMG_1479.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	210413   Click image for larger version

Name:	sinkcabsllr.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	210414  

Old 04-24-2014, 09:08 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Silverton , Oregon
more pics

More..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1482.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	210415   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1493.jpg
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	210416  

Name:	IMG_1495.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	210417   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1488.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	210418  

Old 04-24-2014, 09:14 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Silverton , Oregon
More..

Interestingly, the refrigerator cabinet is taller than most I've seen..and I've yet to see a cabinet above the fridge enclosure. It does have a vent through this space and one in the roof above/inside this upper cabinet. it appears it had an extra-tall one? I've not seen the heater set up next to a fridge cabinet like this yet. The fellow at the shop said he worked on installing Princess stoves and cabinetry around them back in '59 and had to literally change the way cabinets were being cut because of the changeover away from Princesses in '60..

Oh, and yes, the wood cleaned up pretty well, all things considered! (these are before cleaning )
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1476.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	210419   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1481.jpg
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	210420  

Name:	IMG_1492.jpg
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	210421  
Old 04-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Silverton , Oregon
the stove

Stove from side..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1485.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	210426  
Old 04-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Silverton , Oregon
A couple of exterior shots..

It appears a home-made bumper was made for the rear. I have no reason for a spare on the trailer, and this thing is pretty rickety anyway, so I'll have to either use this steel bumper and refabricate, or find an original one..there also appears to have been a hundred antennas mounted on this thing at one point, too! The front shade/stone guard cleaned up really nicely and just needs a new coat of 303 on it, but we've got issues with the frame mounts..and the windows..Oh, the windows!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1497.jpg
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	210439   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1496.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	210440  

Old 04-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #15
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
My furnace was exactly like yours, and I had the same refrigerator space/upper cabinet.

Kathy
Old 04-24-2014, 04:31 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Silverton , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCN View Post
My furnace was exactly like yours, and I had the same refrigerator space/upper cabinet.

Kathy

Well that is good to hear/read. I obviously haven't read enough-yet. Having said that, I powered through a few pages of your restoration thread and I am totally in AWE of your energy and work. Very nice!

Thanks for the support. There is a lot of inspiration here..
Old 04-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #17
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
I'm a native Oregonian...plan to take my trailer there for my first trip. Whenever that is!

My 62 is a little odd, and your 59 is actually the most similar to mine that I've seen. My kitchen and bath appear to be identical to yours, as well as the furnace - would love to see the wall next to the stove to see what you have there, and your overhead endcap cupboards/cabinets.

Do you have the wall fan in the streetside corner of the bath?

I'll help you with handles if I can -I saved everything but not sure they are what you are looking for. I'm out of town but will let you know what I have next week.

FYI, Lew Farber is in Hood River during the summer months - he is one of the volunteer presenters at the Vintage Trailer Academy and is a master RV tech so if you need another resource close by, particularly for electrical system/appliance questions, he'd be a good one. He's on the fourms as Lewster.

Kathy
Old 04-25-2014, 10:27 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Your woodwork should clean up very well. I really like the look of it when refinished with 3 coats of Danish Oil.

Interesting layout. Judging by the rear wall, it looks like it was originally a twin setup, with the street side bed being changed to a dresser.

Very different from my '59 Ohio Overlander. Looks like they switched sides for the Toilet and Tub much earlier in California.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
It looks like a great trailer, intact and not butchered. I think the fridge was mounted off the floor which explains the tall cabinet- nicer than stooping to get stuff from an under counter fridge. I don't know if you have a thermostat on the old heater- ours doesn't and is either on or off. If you have the original plate the side of the trailer, it'll say where it was made.

Looking forward to more progress photos, good luck!
Old 05-05-2014, 01:30 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Silverton , Oregon
I went ahead and bought this..

But there is something "funny" about the angle of the body. Is it just the angle of the pictures, or does this light look right to you all? I tried getting it last week and there were a lot of other bidders, but it didn't hit reserve. I didn't want to miss out on it this time..

It has a glass lens, so I really like that. And the dull finish isn't a big problem for me..

Thanks for any feedback!

Antique Vintage Bargman License Plate Holder Light camper Travel Trailer Lamp | eBay