Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Need Help with these pics of vintage stuff

I have a number of pictures here that I'm confused about.

1. Is this the furnace that will blow up if I try to use it?

2. The whole shell at the front of my AS is fiberglass, with this insert of plastic. I have to repair the wood, but there was this gray tape like duct tape holding the 2 pieces together. Is that supposed to be there, or is that a PO job?

3. Is this the lightswitch to the outside porch light? Any reason it doesn't work? Fuses look good. The power for the tv antenna / CB doesn't seem to work either. IS there a reason they used such big guage wire for DC?

4. My fridge setup seems odd. Looks like it vents from under the vehicle. From a recent VAP podcast, that seems like a good thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blowup1-1.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	498.1 KB
ID:	123134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blowup2-1.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	334.7 KB
ID:	123135  

Name:	taped edges-2.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	123136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Porch lightswitch-1.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	324.2 KB
ID:	123137  

Name:	fridge-1.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	123138   Click image for larger version

Name:	fridge2-1.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	123139  

Name:	fridge3.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	123140  
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
I have a number of pictures here that I'm confused about.

1. Is this the furnace that will blow up if I try to use it?
Don't know...we have a heater, not a furnace in our '64 so it's totally different.

Quote:
2. The whole shell at the front of my AS is fiberglass, with this insert of plastic. I have to repair the wood, but there was this gray tape like duct tape holding the 2 pieces together. Is that supposed to be there, or is that a PO job?
Not sure, but I suspect the PO cut & removed it at some point then put it back w/duct tape. We don't have duct tape on ours...it's all one piece.

Quote:
3. Is this the lightswitch to the outside porch light? Any reason it doesn't work? Fuses look good.
Yes, that is the porch light switch. If the bulb is new, you must be a short, bad connection or frayed wires somewhere.

Quote:
4. My fridge setup seems odd. Looks like it vents from under the vehicle. From a recent VAP podcast, that seems like a good thing.
Yep, that's the fresh air vent underneath...it is a good thing. Gets a chimney effect going for good air flow and exhausts at the top.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Yep, that's the fresh air vent underneath...it is a good thing. Gets a chimney effect going for good air flow and exhausts at the top.

Shari
It's also because LP gas is heavier than air, so should there be a leak from your fridge, it can flow out through the floor, rather than pool and cause problems for you.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
That is an International Oil Burner that I removed from my AS on Inland's advice.
They evidently had several recalls and supposedly is dangerous.
I am going to catalytic heat anyway and not using it saved some weight.
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaysteve View Post
That is an International Oil Burner that I removed from my AS on Inland's advice.
They evidently had several recalls and supposedly is dangerous.
I am going to catalytic heat anyway and not using it saved some weight.
I keep thinking about the catalytic, but I have 2 little boys... and the furnace duct work is already there to run the heat to the back.

If I convert my lights to LED's, I'll get more out of that fan motor. I also don't plan on boondocking that much and not that much in the winter either.

Would be nice if I could get a little money out of International to go towards the replacement, but I guess it would be a little silly to go after a 45 year old recal.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I keep thinking about the catalytic, but I have 2 little boys... and the furnace duct work is already there to run the heat to the back.

If I convert my lights to LED's, I'll get more out of that fan motor. I also don't plan on boondocking that much and not that much in the winter either.

Would be nice if I could get a little money out of International to go towards the replacement, but I guess it would be a little silly to go after a 45 year old recal.
International Oil Burner furnaces were used in for a short period of time way back then.

Save your efforts, as Airstream didn't get anyplace with them, 45 years again.

Remove the furnace, practice on it with a "SLEDGE" HAMMER" then replace it with something that's safe.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
We replaced our International Oil Burner on our '61 Overlander with a Suburban NT30SP furnace. Also, the fridge on our '63 Globetrotter vented from the floor the same way as yours.
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Cape Ann , Massachusetts
I have a 64 Tradewind and when I refinished the woodwork on the front cabinet, i found the same duct tape behind the wood.

As far as the switch is concerned, I have the same one in my trailer and it may have been disconnected. There is a conventional switch to the inside left of the jalousie window which controls the outside scare light. See if you have one there.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
I have a number of pictures here that I'm confused about. 2. The whole shell at the front of my AS is fiberglass, with this insert of plastic. I have to repair the wood, but there was this gray tape like duct tape holding the 2 pieces together. Is that supposed to be there, or is that a PO job?
Hi Robwok:

Yes, that tape is supposed to be there to hold the two edges together while you put the wood frame back on. It may not have appeared on California-built trailers like Shari's, but it certainly was on my Ohio-built '64 Globe Trotter.

My front overhead cabinet frame was loose many years ago. I gently knocked it apart, drilled out of the old wood dowels and put in new wood dowels (with carpenters glue) and clamped it for a few days. Much nicer now!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:11 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
Yes, that tape is supposed to be there to hold the two edges together while you put the wood frame back on. It may not have appeared on California-built trailers like Shari's, but it certainly was on my Ohio-built '64 Globe Trotter.
Hmmm...interesting! Learn something new every day...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
Hi Robwok:

My front overhead cabinet frame was loose many years ago. I gently knocked it apart, drilled out of the old wood dowels and put in new wood dowels (with carpenters glue) and clamped it for a few days. Much nicer now!
Exactly what I just finished doing! Had to pick up the 1/4" dowels as I usually don't do anything with ones that small.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by graniteshore View Post
I have a 64 Tradewind and when I refinished the woodwork on the front cabinet, i found the same duct tape behind the wood.

As far as the switch is concerned, I have the same one in my trailer and it may have been disconnected. There is a conventional switch to the inside left of the jalousie window which controls the outside scare light. See if you have one there.
I'm afraid I am not so lucky. I'm wonding if the switch is bad, but unforunately, the only way to get to it is to take the skin off. It's a very annoying size. I would prefer to cut a larger hole and put in a different appropriately dated switch.

Anyone recommend a switch, and whether or not I'm going to have problems with that idea?
Old 03-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
3. Is this the lightswitch to the outside porch light? Any reason it doesn't work? Fuses look good. The power for the tv antenna / CB doesn't seem to work either. IS there a reason they used such big guage wire for DC?

Quote:
I'm afraid I am not so lucky. I'm wonding if the switch is bad, but unforunately, the only way to get to it is to take the skin off. It's a very annoying size. I would prefer to cut a larger hole and put in a different appropriately dated switch.

Anyone recommend a switch, and whether or not I'm going to have problems with that idea?
Two things to look at, which you may already have done:

1. is the lightbulb OK? Sometimes they look OK, but are gone.

2. Does the lightbulb's socket look like it can make a good connection? It may be corroded: sandpaper time, or replace. Or, it's ground connection (or the + wire connection for that matter) may be bad.

It's rarely "rocket surgery" with these trailers, you just gotta be stubborn

Good luck!
Old 03-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Thanks. I actually have a brand new light (and I tested that one, and it works). I already drilled out the rivets on the old one and removed it. I used a meter to test the wire that goes up to the light, and it's dead no matter what. There's not a lot I can do about the +wire if that's bad. I wanted to work in another direction. One odd thing though is that the + wire doesn't seem to lead back to the switch. Any reason it may go off in the opposite direction?
Old 03-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Toggle switch

The switch you have may be to turn off the water pump. My '67 has one... it was to allow you to sleep without the intermittent pressurizing of the water system waking you. This may be what you have there. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
The switch you have may be to turn off the water pump. My '67 has one... it was to allow you to sleep without the intermittent pressurizing of the water system waking you. This may be what you have there. Ed

Interesting. My water pump is in the back in the full service area. I remember reading some were in the front.

Tags
bulkhead, fiberglass, furnace, lightswitch, porch light