Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2017, 04:02 PM   #1
TuttleAndA1962Overlander

1962 26' Overlander
Centralia , Washington
Need help finding the year and overall value of my Overlander

I am having trouble deciphering the VIN on my airstream to find what year it is . I was told it was a '62
The VIN is : I272D393

I am also wondering what it's current value is as I am deciding if It is worth restoring for myself or if it would be easier financially to put it up for sale.

It has been sitting for over 20 years and the wheel bearings are shot ( due to a flood only coming up as far as the wheels). However, the inside has been free of any water or moisture, but it is dirty and musty from lack of any sort of maintenance or standard cleaning for all the time outside. I would really appreciate an estimate around what price tag might be on it in the condition as of now.

I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject and any opinions and/or advice are more than welcome. Thank you!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1553.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	378.1 KB
ID:	287008Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1556.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	287009Attachment 1
Tuttle321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
It is a:
I = International package; Ohio built
27 = not sure why this shows "27", it should be "26" because it is clearly an Overlander based on the badging2 = built in 1962
D =Rear Bath Double
393 = sequential build number

Check out this page to double check & see others...

This Price vs Condition information will help you decide if it is a project you want to tackle or would rather not as well as estimate value based on the condition. Sounds to me that it is in "As Found" to low/mid "Average" condition. Check out "Table A" in the referenced weblink to determine the condition.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:12 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Something else to consider if you are looking to sell it:

If the current condition renders it un-movable, that will likely be a turn off to potential buyers. I would at least consider doing enough work on it to bring it up to "street legal".

I'm sure there will be other opinions on this

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:19 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Rumford , Rhode Island
I wouldn't be quite too sure about the water. Check the back. Also check around the outer edges of the subfloor. Restoring an Airstream is not cheap. You might find out that there is frame rot too. Replacing 2 axles will cost you. Once you start pulling out things you will find more things. Factor in how much time you want to put in it and the tools you already have. Do you have a place to work on it and are you in a warmer climate?
Before you make a decision research the threads. It will give you an idea of what needs to be done. If you want to add a grey tank that is a consideration.

We have had our 1968 Globetrotter and for just under 2 years. Still not ready for the road. Weather in the northeast hasn't been cooperative.
You don't need to have it totally comelete to use it.
You can add things over time. Do your research and see if it is a project that you want to tackle.
Layback
layback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:52 PM   #5
TuttleAndA1962Overlander

1962 26' Overlander
Centralia , Washington
My mistake, It is I262D393.
Thank you all for sharing. My father was going to let it go for $300 and I had a feeling he might have been underselling. I am definitely aware of and open to major repairs as it's been unattended so long but at the same time a pretty neat item
Tuttle321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:04 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The real value for anything is only decided when an actual sale is made. Mobile, it's certainly worth more than $300. Bringing in a flat bed (and crane?) to haul it out would cost a lot of money. Without details on where it is, how much cost to get it out is an unknown. Any real buyer would have to dig into that. If getting your trailer out of the weeds costs $2,000 more than average, it comes off of your sell price. What's an average cost? Who knows.

As I type this, they are putting in a wood trestle road a few blocks away to get into an area to do some work. It's fun watching them dig this and haul that. Doing *that* to get into an area is really expensive....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
vallejo , California
I had a 64 overlander,sat for18 yrs. I had some flootrot at the door and front corners. No flood and paid 1,000. If buyer wanted it,less because of tires,rims,bearings ect.
ke6gkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:56 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
2000 dollars is a good starting point if all exterior panels are dent free and in good condition. Trailer would also need to have the door and all window frames and hardware present.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Whether you decide to sell it or fix it up yourself, see if you can find someone nearby to go over it with you to help you understand what it needs. Then you can be upfront in your ad about the condition, or you'll have a more realistic idea of what needs to be done if you decide to take it on yourself. I think it would be easier to sell if you at least move it from where it's sat for 20 years and grease or replace the wheel bearings. The more unknowns about the trailer the harder it will be to get a good price.

This post: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ml#post1766208 describes how to find a trailer inspector on Airforums.

It's easier to sell it if you know what items a buyer might use to talk you down. If you look surprised when they tell you it needs a new floor then they are going to use that to lower the price because they will know you didn't take that into account. I recently talked someone down to less than a third of their asking price because I was able to assess what the trailer needed (a couple of panels, axles, windows, floor replacement, frame repair, etc.) and I was able to give them an estimate of what each item would cost. I wasn't trying to take advantage of them, but they needed to know the basis on which I was making the offer, and I could tell by talking to them that they didn't understand the money and effort that it would take to bring the trailer back into use.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote