Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Hey Brian, I am in Roswell GA and started restoring a 66 Overlander a month or so ago. Got it up enough to go to Falluminum next weekend in Hiawassee, but still have plenty to do. Minimal floor rot in mine so far. Only around the front door and a small area near the water tank where it had a leak.
Plumbing is my big problem, it all has to be replaced.
I did the same type repair my friend PizzaChop Ron told you about on the floor- in my last two Airstreams..it held up very well. Use wood hardener, then floated a bondo like over it.
SOund slike you have got a cool 23 yr old if he likes trailers. My 22 yr old is not real excited about them.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:47 AM   #62
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Saint Louis , MO
Question Can it be towed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
The axles are shot.
The frame has a deteriorated rear cross member.
The propane lines have black tar like fluid in the low points.
We are looking for an airstream of this vintage ourselves. From what I have seen so far, we are not going to find anything within 300 miles of our home. Our goal would be to tow it ourselves. Given your comments about the axles and frame, I am guessing that might not be such a good idea. Any advice?
tlsmit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:07 PM   #63
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
All that needs to be addressed, but should not stop you. The only regret you will have about Airstreaming, is not doing it sooner.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:36 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Tlsm1:

I have been looking in tSouthern Illinois Craiglists and saw a 1964 globetrotter for sale. I think he wanted $1000.00. That was two weeks ago. I bet it is still there.

I have not seen Pizza Chop on the forms for along time. He was one of my main sources of information. He is a good man. I hope I have the opportunity to see him again. My son met a guy who has several airstreams in Athens Ga. He has been communicating with him and getting information.

We have not been on the restoration of the overlander for about 10 days excluding today. I had the honey dew list that was looming over my head. We went out of town last weekend and today was the first time back working on the airstream. My son has not been working on it either. He has been very busy working.

I bought a neat tool. It is the tool that has a vibrating end that will cut through about anything. I have been using it to take up the tiles on the floor. Those boogers are really stuck there. This new tool just increased removal by a bunch.

I got one twin out the stove/oven, plumbing, water heater, and furnace.
I need to take the metal water tank out but I could not find my pipe wrench today. I will have to borrow one.

I am going camping with my other trailer pretty soon so that will cut into a weekend. It is coming along and we will get it done. Bonaroo next summer is the goal.

Brian
Old 10-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Saint Louis , MO
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
Tlsm1:
I have been looking in tSouthern Illinois Craiglists and saw a 1964 globetrotter for sale. I think he wanted $1000.00. That was two weeks ago. I bet it is still there.
Brian
Thanks very much for the tip. Alas, the Globetrotter deal is gone, but there are a few others listed. Many more than on the St. Louis listings. We will keep an eye out.

Also, we will be very interested to hear how your father-son restoration goes. We are planning a father-daughter(me)-son-in-law-grandkid team effort over at my dad's house this winter. (Assuming we find an airstream.)

Tammie, Rich & the Kid
tlsmit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:06 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Tmsil1:

Check the atlanta craiglist. They just posted a very old one a few days ago.

Brian
Old 10-18-2010, 08:04 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
PIzzachop is still around, just very busy with his big family and business.I talk to him often.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 10-24-2010, 05:13 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Progress is moving along. Water tank is out, 50% of the linoleum is removed. Brass has been cleaned or painted to look brass, Inside doors have been refinished.

I am taking the old water tank and having it cut in half. I am going to make two huge wind chimes out of it. I have already done that with an old scuba tank. I will have to bring them to a tac rally and we can all bong them and chant in a low humming voice Airstream, Airstream.

I am on a tight budge with this project because of the same reasons most people are, so I am going with used parts for some things. For $150.00 I picked up for my 73 and 60 airstream the following. A rock guard, converter with a fuse panel attachment, a oven and stove for the 60, crank stabilizers, aluminum from a belly pan, and tons of bits and pieces.

I still have the orginal 60's stove and oven and I was going to get it fixed. I decided to use the same type of stove oven from a seventy three because it was very clean and worked. One will get used and one will be sold. I would like to put the crank stabilizers on the 60 but I don't know if they will fit??????. The coverter is a 7400 paralax, which will have to do for a couple of years until I build my money back up.

I also will get a brand new container of Nuvite from Lewis (55 whale tail) for $20.00 dollars. Not bad shopping. Pics coming soon.

I am picking up the amazing liester heat gun today. This will put any type of heat gun to shame. You have to be careful with it because it can cause fire. They used them for weldin vinyl on vinyl ( airstructures). I have used it before and decided it is the way to go. It will cause that tar under the tiles to melt quickly. I am tired to working on the floor.

Brian
Old 10-26-2010, 10:01 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
you did great on those purchases. It feels good to get a deal on something you can really use.
I'm looking for two aluminum LP tanks if you come across any.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 10-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Alan:

I went though all his stuff and there were not any aluminum tanks. He had all the guts of the 73 on the ground. I will keep my eye open for you.

Brian
Old 10-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I have missed placed my camera so pics will be coming later.

1. The person who I bought the trailer from was going to restore it, but didn't. He did buy home depot latex paint and painted the inside. He painted much of the aluminum trim on the inside. I want to remove it. Any suggestions on how to remove it.

2. One of the inside end caps has a 6" crack in it. What are the endcaps made of and will bondo work to mask the crack.

Brian
Old 10-26-2010, 05:23 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
1. The person who I bought the trailer from was going to restore it, but didn't. He did buy home depot latex paint and painted the inside. He painted much of the aluminum trim on the inside. I want to remove it. Any suggestions on how to remove it.
I'm a big fan of Napier Removall. It worked very well on the exterior paint on the roof of my trailer. I've heard it does not cut through Zolatone, which may be good if you are only hoping to remove the latex.

Quote:
2. One of the inside end caps has a 6" crack in it. What are the endcaps made of and will bondo work to mask the crack.
The end caps are made of fiberglass. I don't have any experience with fiberglass repairs, but I've read that it is fairly inexpensive and not that difficult.

Norm
Old 10-26-2010, 05:51 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Thanks Norm!!!

I will give it a try with the napier.

Brian
Old 10-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Yup. I used the most wickedest nastiest stuff I could find called Aircraft Remover, and it took off the latex house paint as well as the zolatone, though it still took several applications (and lots of elbow grease with plastic scrapers) to remove all the zolatone. I had to go to the same paint supply store as auto body repair shops use to get the really nasty Aircraft remover.

If the Removeall works without stripping the zolatone, it seems like much nicer stuff.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:52 AM   #75
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Removeall does not harm plastic trim also. You can simply mask the area you want to protect. Be sure you get it all off when done though, as if it dries it is very hard to remove the Removeall.
Did a great job on the clearcoat in two trailers for me. A can goes a long way.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 11-13-2010, 10:16 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I have started to do the polishing process. I am using Nuvite 7 for the first polish. I will order 5 and 3 when I finish the first polish. This polishing has really let me know how out of shape I am in. I used to swim four days a week. I need to get back in the water and start working out again, or just polish trailers.

Here are some pictures.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brian's 60 airstream 003.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	1,015.5 KB
ID:	115165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brian's 60 airstream 006.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	982.4 KB
ID:	115166  

Name:	Brian's 60 airstream 011.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	1,001.0 KB
ID:	115167  
Old 11-14-2010, 01:20 AM   #77
2 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Lots of work buffing isn't it Brian? Glad I could help! I really like the trailer. I cannot believe how solid the floor is after dealing with mine! No Frank, I am not going to sell mine! After working with Brian today I think my case of aluminitus has come back and I only know one cure!
Here's a couple of more pics I took today.

Name:	Brian's 60 airstream 005.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	115169

Name:	Brian's 60 airstream 010.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	857.0 KB
ID:	115170

https://55flyingcloud7909.blogspot.com
slvrlng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:10 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
good to have you back Lewis!

Boats! who needs boats when you have an airstream. You need to get that shell off the 55 whale tail and get busy.

Lewis is a master teacher. He worked with auto collision for thirty years. Personally he is one of the best teachers I have had. I now know how to make my aluminum shine. Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. Thanks Lewis!!

Brian
Old 11-14-2010, 05:56 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Looking good Brian. I'm fixing a section of floor (12X12") I had to cut out under the fridge today. Hitting the big orange for supplies early.
Y'all need to show these rigs off at Springstream...April 8 weekend.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 11-14-2010, 07:54 AM   #80
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
My fridge floor is fine. The problem I just ran into is the pervious owners built a new cabinet for the their electric fridge and microwave. I got the pervious fridge out and removed sheet metal from the outside doorway for the old gas fridge. The new cabinet cuts across a plate which I think was for the vent of the gas fridge. I am not sure. There is a Vent on the curbside of the roof directly above the outside fridge door. Need help with this because I am going to to put another gas/electric fridge in. Their is a gas line to the fridge. I just need to figure out if the plate is the vent.

Any knowledge would be appreciated.

Brian

Tags
1960, 1960 overlander, restoration