Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2010, 08:01 AM   #81
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrlng View Post
No Frank, I am not going to sell mine! After working with Brian today I think my case of aluminitus has come back and I only know one cure!
I am still waiting. Just letting you get ready to let her go.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:10 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
Need help with this because I am going to to put another gas/electric fridge in. Their is a gas line to the fridge. I just need to figure out if the plate is the vent.

Brian
Mine has a vent in the floor, that is screened in the belly pan and plywood. Then the vent in the roof. So the aire flows up thru.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:33 AM   #83
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
In Brians era, the fridge vented through the wall and out a small eyebrow in the roof. That was just the gasses from the burner. The coils are cooled by air passing under the fridge and out the back of the counter into the room. No floor vents, no inlets, no hatches except to service the burner.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:06 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
AH GOOD INFO.Brian- here is a link for a water inlet..looks pretty good.
water inlet
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 11-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Alan:

You found a great price on that little item. I will return the favor if you are interested.

Stainless steel 30 amp power inlet.

LDV, Inc.

Brian
Old 11-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #86
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wow, great job polishing... are you using a foam pad to polish with? How's it cutting into the oxidation? I thought one might be not abrasive enough vs. wool, but it looks like it's doing a good job... easier to clean too?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:18 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
Alan:

You found a great price on that little item. I will return the favor if you are interested.

Stainless steel 30 amp power inlet.

LDV, Inc.

Brian
Thanks the sharing of stuff like that is always helpful.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 11-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Lewis:

you out there somewhere? Nuvite went well yesterday. Pretty bad today. I washed the pads really well with dawn and water. slung the water out of them and used a towl on them. They felt really dry this afternoon until I started using your pads. They threw water everywhere and turned the nuvite into a dark gray mess. After that it was just not working well. I had to give it a rest. What did I do wrong?

My floor sanding went well but I was not able to get all the black tar up. Everything is smooth and ready for a coat of thick stain. I also got a bunch of liittle things done but my wedding cake lens do not fit my light pans.

Brian
Old 11-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Marc;

Lewis was like a drill seargant with me yesterday. He had me doing everything he said would lead to successful cleaning. We moved quickly and got a lot done in a short period of time. Lewis left me his equipment but things did not happen like yesterday. The pads were not sponge. They were like mop heads that spun around. He taught me to put about a small dab on t he airstream, spread it, then spread a little more with the motor going slow. After that I went full spead.

Brian
Old 11-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #90
2 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Lawrenceville , Georgia
The one thing you didn't hear!
Steps to follow drying the pads out.

After washing until no more black comes out sling the pads out by hand.

Put the pad on the buffer and hold away from you so it doesn't sling stuff on you or anything else.

At first just bump the trigger so the pad barely turns.

Slowly speed up until you have it running at full speed.

As the pad speeds up it will sling water up to 20 feet.

Try to do all this the day you buff and hang the pad up to dry overnight.

Even then if you use the next day put the pad back on the buffer and spin it again before use as they really hold water a long time.

The pad we were using is a wool pad with twisted individual yarn tufts. It is specifically designed for compounding and makes the compound work like it should. Cheap pads absorb the compound and don't create enough heat to make most compounds work correctly.
Most manufacturers have a compounding pad and a polishing pad. If you use a polishing pad with a coarse compound it will work but it takes longer because the polishing yarns aren't as aggressive. When you do this for a living speed is everything! Sorry you missed this part and don't let it make you think its not going to work like it did yesterday. Follow these directions and IT WILL WORK!

https://55flyingcloud7909.blogspot.com
slvrlng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Ahh... thanks Lewis! Do you have a source for your pads? The local autopaint store just has one type of wool polishing pad.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #92
2 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Is Wesco still out there where you are? They should be able to order them. These pads are made by a company called Presta out of Ohio.
Here is a link to a on line supplier. Don't know them, but you can get an idea of the products. They work really well when you know what you are doing! LOL LOL LOL LOL!

Car Care Products and Industrial Cleaners - Diamond Magic International (DMI)

https://55flyingcloud7909.blogspot.com
slvrlng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
We removed the cabinet that the refrigerator sat in. It was not the original. The top of the cabinet was in front of the vent hole for the outside. This trailer never had a screen in the floor. It has a removable door that has louvers in it. Air come into the back of the refrigerator where all the coils are. The refrigerator is out of a mid 1980's airstream. It works

Can I just anchor the refrigerator to the floor and allow the air to come through the vented door. I would have to put a chimney on the refrigerator to vent the exhaust from the flame. It seems simple enough but I need some opinoins.

I will build a cabinet that will fit the refrigerator snug to prevent a draft from the louver doors.

Brian
Old 11-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #94
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Brian, any chance you could post some pics of your kitchen cabinet - especially the framing on the right side. I had to rebuild mine because it had been decimated by termites and most of the right side framing (the furnace side) was completely gone. I've had to take some gueses at how that side is framed. Some photos of one that has not been eaten could really help. Hope your restoration is going well.
Norm
Old 11-23-2010, 06:44 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I'm following ya'lls adventure as I parallel path on my '63...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...ome-71609.html

Polishing already? geez...mine still smells like RotoRouter just left! The insulation and floors have gotta go....
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I have not posted for awhile. I no longer have a camera because it was stolen. I am going to ask my son to take some pics. I have been slowly polishing it and waiting for the holidays so I can work some more. I teach and have been helping with our science fair which has cut into my airstream time. The fair just finished and I got back to airstream restoration today.

I will take pics of the kitchen cabinet frames hopefully tomorrow. I will also take pictures of the repair I did at my front door. It came out fantastic.
My F9 nuvite came yesterday and I can't wait to give it a try. I read on the forums that nuvite does not work well at cool tempertures. Is that true?

I jumped onto a parts sale for a ruined 1997 C-class econoline motor home today. I really got some great deals. It was an elderly couples who rarely used it and let it fall apart. The person parting it out sold me the dometic s620 refrigerator, Coleman air conditioner and a shurflow water pump for a fantastic price. I had to take them out and get them out of there. Everything looks like new. I fired up the air conditioner before I took it and it ran smooth. I built my 30 amp twist lock extension cord and I am ready to put things back together. Now my son and I have to figure out how to do all. The weather has not been cooperating.

Brian
Old 12-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
That's a bummer about your camera. I have not made much progress myself the last month or so and understand how life can often get in the way of the Airstream. Nuvite F9 was great for polishing on my trailer, but we did almost all the polishing in the summer, so the aluminum was much warmer.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #98
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Great that you found those parts! I am still looking for a pair of aluminum lp tanks if you comae across any decent ones. 20lbs or bigger.
Going to hit the RV Salvage in Florida later this month.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 12-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #99
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Alan:

I am just going to take two 20lbs tanks and paint they with rustoleum metal paint. I will use the nickle color or the aluminum color. Just take your time and you will find them somewhere.

Brian
Old 12-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #100
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I am looking to replace the whip antenna for the CB on the side. It has a big spring. I was going to remove it but my son likes it. Do you know where I can get a big spring with a whip antenna. I see them for sale but they are all different sizes. I don't know what size I need.

Brian

Tags
1960, 1960 overlander, restoration