Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2014, 06:02 PM   #441
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I polished right over the plaque. Be careful the buffer does not get caught on a corner because it will bend it. If it is in tight you won't need to worry. After I use the Nuvite and clean it off. I use aluminum polish to get into the corners. Heck I am always trying new stuff. I am going around and getting all the window frames. They are nasty but they are coming clean.

Brian
Old 08-28-2018, 10:37 AM   #442
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
temporary shelter construction

Hi everybody:

It has been almost a year since I posted. October of last year hurricane Irma dropped a tree on my airstream. Lots of damage that need to be fixed. I put everything off for one year because it just knocked the motivation out of me since I took 4 years to restore it to show room quality. Many things have happened which took priority over the RV. I am ready now. I will have to gut it and take all the inner skins and outer skins off of it. It sits in my yard and that is where it will be fixed. I have to repair the aluminum stringers etc. I will need to put a temporary structure over it to prevent water getting into it. Any ideas? I was thinking pvc and a tarp. Do you have any ideas or examples I can use. Once it is fixed I will take the structure down.

Brian
Old 08-28-2018, 10:40 AM   #443
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Forgot I will only need to cover from the air conditioner to and past the back end.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:58 AM   #444
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
How much access & elbow room you need on exterior side, merely claustrophobia inducing or true crazy-making tight?

Before I put up a $200 Sams Club 10x20 tarp enclosed shed/shelter just over lawn I toyed with the idea of 'Pony Walls" or mounting the preformed cheapo tube frame bases on a 28, 32 or 36 inch tall plywood and 2x4 foundation and have it cover everything from the entrance door back...Note, prices have gone up since! We ended up getting seven years out of the utility shed.

https://www.kingcanopy.com/category/canopies/ <--- They sent replacement roof a month out of warranty no questions asked... Their 2-inch leg kit held up in snow and storms okay with decent cable tie downs out from edges of roof frame. I'm not seeing it but they had tensioned steel aircraft cables to keep roof trusses from spreading under snow load.

The factory store is full list prices unless one catches a special, $300-ish for a mouse-magnet... err... perfect weather deflector over a vintage AS seems easier than reinventing the wheel - remember PVC tarps need to be heat welded or sewn with thread, there is no adhesive to hem up custom awnings etc..

Tags
1960, 1960 overlander, restoration